Crossing plans

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
Current Plan.

If the weather calms down as predicted we'll be getting on the boat tomorrow evening and leaving the mooring as early as SHMBO permits (target 04:00) on Thursday morning heading straight to Cherbourg. Plan B is to and lurk in Bembridge for a day and join the fleet on Friday morning. See you all there.

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
If you head out thursday morning we should catch you up mid Channel by lunchtime Friday .... ;)

You should be grateful we're doing our usual service of going out straight after the bad weather to knock all the lumpy bits off the sea and smooth things out for those who cross after us.

And I wouldn't be too sure if I was you, that scrub was back in July and I know you use that cheap and nasty antifouling/weed fertiliser. (Still all that growth will help hold the keel on). Whereas we're in racing trim (with a broken and jury rigged kecking strap to prove it) and fresh from a 3rd place on Saturday only 25 seconds behind the winner on corrected time!

bedouin

Visit site
Detailed planning suggests that going via St Vaast might seriously reduce booze-buying time in Cherbourg so we will probably shift our plans to depart from Chi straight to Cherbourg aiming to leave Chi Harbour around 05:00 - 06:00

chubby

www.flickr.com
Looks like most people are leaving on friday for Cherbourg, who is still aimimg for St Vaast? My current plan is to go down to the boat tomorow, thursday, accross to Bembridge and leave from there first thing fri morning when the weather will have settled a bit more. HW is about 0700 so it will be possible to leave anytime from first light. That will give me a head start from leaving Wicormarine and also get me away from the mooring and into cruising mode!

Looking at the weather, the models like metcheck, ECMF and weather online give quite gentle winds but the forecaster produced one like the met office still give more wind!

Being single handed, a motorsailor with big tanks etc I dont mind motoring, a chance to play with the newly installed AIS, a present from the boat show! Amasingly took 30 mins to install and worked instantly!

If I felt a glutton for punishment and others going to StV, I could go there on fri and round to Cherb on sat am? I dont need to get back till tuesday so may not join the flet on sunday!

bedouin

Visit site
The tides and locks work well for St Vaast - we may still do that, but for it to be feasible for us we need a reasonable wind as I don't want to motor all the way.

St Vaast to Cherbourg is about 5-6 hours, so leaving St Vaast at say 8-9 am gets you into Cherbourg mid afternoon.

The reason I am having second thoughts about that approach is that you would only get a few hours in St Vaast - which is really hardly enough to do more than grab a meal and sleep - and it would cut down on shopping time in Cherbourg. Then for us to get back at a reasonable time on Sunday requires an early start - so that begins to feel like too much sailing and too little drinking :(

I really wish that we had chosen St Vaast as the destination for a change - but tradition seems to be against that

Sailfree

Visit site
I really wish that we had chosen St Vaast as the destination for a change - but tradition seems to be against that

The problem is finding a restaurant to take 50 to 60 people.

I and others have tried different venues but the remarks after consistantly conclude that cherbourg YC is the best venue due to proximity of staggering back and numbers.

Always interested in other viable suggestions.

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
My current plan is to go down to the boat tomorow, thursday, accross to Bembridge and leave from there first thing fri morning when the weather will have settled a bit more. HW is about 0700 so it will be possible to leave anytime from first light. That will give me a head start from leaving Wicormarine and also get me away from the mooring and into cruising mode!

We have delayed our departure until this afternoon as we weren't really ready last night and the shipping forecast was still giving West 5 to 7 so we're giving it another day to let the see calm down a bit. Our revised plan is exactly the same as yours so hopefully we'll see you at Wicor this afternoon and/or in Bembridge tonight. Our boat is "Close Encounter" the Sadler 29 on pontoon F11.

chubby

www.flickr.com
We have delayed our departure until this afternoon as we weren't really ready last night and the shipping forecast was still giving West 5 to 7 so we're giving it another day to let the see calm down a bit. Our revised plan is exactly the same as yours so hopefully we'll see you at Wicor this afternoon and/or in Bembridge tonight. Our boat is "Close Encounter" the Sadler 29 on pontoon F11.

I am still not ready, just got back from a conference yesterday, too much rich food, drink and sitting in darkened lecture theatres so going round in a daze trying to find everything then a little shake down trip to bembridge, maybe via the gosport fuel jetty, to clear the cobwebs!

SolentBoat

Visit site
Bad news - I'm not going :(

Can't avoid having to be in the office on Fri morning and I'd find no pleasure in single handing through the shipping overnight.

Have fun, I might go to the boatshow instead.