Crossing Cardigan Bay

Praxinoscope

Visit site
Have done that passage several times in both a 25ft and a 28ft boat and it is perfectible do-able. I never had any interaction from the firing range, but admit to it feeling a bit eerie passing by the floating targets.

Years ago when Aberporth were far more active we used to run a 'Targets' race from the club, Aberporth regulary supplied the positions of their targets and we would select one as the rounding mark.
I agree with dansaskip the passage Fishguard - Aberdaron is perfectly do-able,

Last edited:

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
maybe non-explosive payloads? Just taking my info from literature from Castlemartin

Ah! When they say live they mean things that go bang on arrival I guess! I took live to mean ammunition that goes off when you pull the trigger!

They definitely fire live shell out to sea at Shoeburyness (a sample of every batch of naval and artillery gun ammunition is tested there) but that isn't a practice range, it's a test range

I suppose it'd be some small comfort, elsewhere, as you gazed at the mess kinetic energy had made of your boat, to consider that "it could have been worse, it could have exploded" :D

oldharry

Visit site
Done Aberdaron to Fishguard in 11 hours in a 22 footer, no probs. Clearing the Causeway if you go inshore to Aberystwyth is also not an issue except in poor vis. But when I was based up that way we did not have GPS, so you had to get DR right when clearing it! It didn't help that the two rdf beacons were Anglesey and Strumble, almost exactly 180 degrees between them! E ena few degrees error made a significant difference..

RobWard

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies. In the event we had our best sail of the whole trip across the bay, (Cardiff to Whitehaven), a trouble free close reach on the same tack pretty much the whole way. Only had visual of one of the floats, and there certainly wasn't anyone firing at it. (Or if there was, they weren't much good...:-(