Cross channel crew needed

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
Golly, some strange comments.

When I first posted looking for crew, the forecast looked decidedly dodgy for Saturday. Hence my vagueness about which day we might depart. Furthermore my confidence in forecasts five days or more away is low and this was another reason for my vagueness about a proposed departure day and time.

I’ve. been watching the weather predictions over the last few days and my considered opinion is that I’m not proposing to go anywhere on Saturday and as it takes a day of so for the channel to calm down, I might not be going anywhere on Sunday either.

I’ve just spoken to the one crew I’ve got so far and I’ve suggested that we review over the next few days and maybe think of going Sunday evening at the earliest or possibly Monday morning.

I’d hope that any decent skipper would be following a similar thought process. I don’t make any pretences about being perfect as a skipper (God knows I’m not!) but I’m taken aback by some of the crass criticism based on assumptions.

Now I’ve got that rant off my chest, does anyone else fancy a sail across to St Vaast.Cherbourg etc for a couple of days and get the ferry back?

john_morris_uk

I think JM wanted to known if anyone wanted to crew, not whether people didn't want to crew or whether it was thought to be a good idea.
JM, what anchor(s) will you be carrying? :cool:

We carry two anchors: a Spade bower and a Fortress kedge, and 70 metres of chain for the bow if you’re interested. The kedge has a few metres of chain and then lots of nylon rode.

Of course drifting with two reds showing is much more sporting.

john_morris_uk

Because whilst I do know JM and his boat I know nothing of you, your experience or your boat, only impressions gained from your armchair comments hereabouts. I have no wish to tarnish John's thread or trip and it is very late,so time to bid you good night:sleeping:

Thanks Robin. Hope the health is holding up and say hi to T from us.