Croatia

Irish Rover

Visit site
What I will says is if people idea is cruising is mooring to town walks or using marina , Croatia may not be for you , the cost are hight although you can pay €25 for a town wall in places in Greece .
It's the same in Turkey, unfortunately. Most of the town quays which accept private yachts are very expensive. Thankfully there are still plenty of excellent free anchorages.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
It's the same in Turkey, unfortunately. Most of the town quays which accept private yachts are very expensive. Thankfully there are still plenty of excellent free anchorages.
Its about the same every where , days of free cruising are gone a lot of the small fishing harbours in Greece are turned into mini marinas ,
We still finding free harbours on the West Coast of Italy but each year more and more are going . We used 7 last year our longest stay was 5 days in one the others where just 2 or 3 days.
There no doubt we seen the best of free cruising.

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
I stayed in Marina de Carrara North West Italy last spring when the virus was killing thousands there about . FOR €100 pw
I am now in Lavrio main port Greece €150 a month. Water and electricity included .
I believe you can negotiate from experience,in most places with the right attitude ,especially if not English ....:cool::love:

Last edited:

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
I am considering moving towards the end of March ,unfortunately no crew or only a novice so long passages are out of the question. I like the idea of Albania, Montenegro and Croasia over Turkey , although Turkey would be easier to get to.
Would, do you think i be aloud to stop in ports on the way Corinth, Trazona ,or non stop around the Peloponnese .

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I am considering moving towards the end of March ,unfortunately no crew or only a novice so long passages are out of the question. I like the idea of Albania, Montenegro and Croasia over Turkey , although Turkey would be easier to get to.
Would, do you think i be aloud to stop in ports on the way Corinth, Trazona ,or non stop around the Peloponnese .
I think this will depend what the pp say , if there are restrictions on sailing and will only allow you to sail if your leaving the country ( innocent passage ) it mean you won't be allowed to stop anywhere in Greece, the min you drop anchor you are no longer on a innocent passage and you could have a problem you also should need to pay the tax as your going straight out of Greece .

Maybe by the end of March Greece will be open to movement.

Now real life, I think you know as well as me that there many isolated parts of Greece that you could anchor for the night and not be seen unless you have a AIS telling the world Where you are.
But off course there a risk like any thing else to do with boats and life .
Best of luck .

wwalsh

Visit site
One boat is leaving greece for caribbean tomorrow.
PP said if come back quickly it is 7 day quarantine. If return at later date it is athens only with 14 day quarantine.

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
So i am effectively a prisoner here:unsure: . I tried to fill out the e tepai this morning ...another failure. And I need a cruising log to move . Vic i think you are right about Greece being bothersome :eek:

Last edited:

Irish Rover

Visit site
So i am effectively a prisoner here:unsure: . I tried to fill out the e tepai this morning ...another failure. And I need a cruising log to move . Vic i think you are right about Greece being bothersome :eek:
Come to Turkey. Plenty of really good free anchorages. For instance Gümüşlük near Bodrum is an excellent sheltered anchorage right at the village or you could try asking for a deal on the town Quay at either Bizez or Gumbet both also near Bodrum. Around 160 Nm from your current location so doable in a single leg.

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
Come to Turkey. Plenty of really good free anchorages. For instance Gümüşlük near Bodrum is an excellent sheltered anchorage right at the village or you could try asking for a deal on the town Quay at either Bizez or Gumbet both also near Bodrum. Around 160 Nm from your current location so doable in a single leg.

Yes, I have about 3 weeks to make a decision .I spent a season there in 2004 .The year the Greeks quadrupled prices for the Olympics
Only problem is , will the Greeks allow movement back into their waters if I reside there.?

Irish Rover

Visit site
Yes, I have about 3 weeks to make a decision .I spent a season there in 2004 .The year the Greeks quadrupled prices for the Olympics
Only problem is , will the Greeks allow movement back into their waters if I reside there.?
At the moment, as you know, Greece is closed to yachting, full stop. They didn't allow boats enter from Turkey last year and there's no indication what will happen this year. I know the Aegean Islands are pushing hard to allow tourism from Turkey and particularly yachts. Worst case scenario you could apply for a resident visa here although I think you'd need a one year marina contract for that.

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
At the moment, as you know, Greece is closed to yachting, full stop. They didn't allow boats enter from Turkey last year and there's no indication what will happen this year. I know the Aegean Islands are pushing hard to allow tourism from Turkey and particularly yachts. Worst case scenario you could apply for a resident visa here although I think you'd need a one year marina contract for that.

Yes probably ,Vic will know perhaps.

steve yates

Visit site
For them who may be interested it's looking like a 6 months stay in Croatia for boats 12/15 mts is going to be 2632 k ( 355€) much cheaper then Greece .€624 for 13 mts plus TL .
For them worried about the 90/180 Croatia sorted that problem out it's give you 6 months cruising or more if you want plus you can still have 3 months in Greece .
For them who are not full time liveaboard and return back to the UK and want to leave their boat in Greece over the winter months that will sort the problem.
For others who are full time liveaboads a short sail to Turkey for a nice winter stay will do the job .
I was getting excited there as I thought you were telling us about a 6 month tourist visa for cruisers, till I reread it properly and realised you were talking about a cheaper option for leaving boats :)

sailaboutvic

Visit site
As Rib said as far as I know you will need an address in the said country for residency, that could be a marina contract of if you rented an apartment,
People have manage to get it just by using a winter contract

st599

Visit site
Tell me more about 6 months in Croatia as I enjoyed being there coming down from Monfalcone Italy .2 years ago.
Croatia haven't yet entered the Schengen scheme, they've applied, the EC have accepted they've met the requirements, but until the member states agree, the old rules apply.

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
I was getting excited there as I thought you were telling us about a 6 month tourist visa for cruisers, till I reread it properly and realised you were talking about a cheaper option for leaving boats :)
Me too, I read it as a 6 month visa , thinking 6 months there ,3 in Greece and wintering 3 months in Turkey .
okay, back to the drawing board / chart table

sailaboutvic

Visit site
if you don't want to apply for a visa after 90 days you can stay 90 in Croatia spend time in Montenegro them move onto Greece
Lastly Turkey .
For most cruisers this isn't a problem , as I said before it's people who just want to spend all season in one country that's going to have a problem .
It may just do some people a good turn , get them to see other country's