Crewed racing this summer?

Birdseye

Visit site
Personally I doubt the value in rushing to have racing if the quality isn't going to be there.
Small fleet.
Crews not able to handle their boats properly due to restricted personnel trying to obey arbitrary distance rules during gybes etc.
Race management challenged with not enough people on the line
It's likely to be a farce if we rush into it.
It will be better at the 'club passage race' level.
Singlehanded long distance racing might be Ok so long as people don't need rescuing.

Likely you wont have a choice because this virus isnt going away any time soon and vaccines arent coming any time soon either. So we are likely to be in this half way house yfor a year or tow or maybe even three.

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
The local sailing club has issued the SIs for their Autumn Series, crew numbers are restricted based upon LOA. For most boats that will be either five or six onboard.

However, the SIs also remove the crew number restrictions stated on IRC certificates and go on to say there is no restrictions on crew numbers and weight which I assume is a drafting error.

Birdseye

Visit site
My club is organising the normal race series this autumn plus an Open race. The approach seems to be that the club will issue rules on what to do on club property but how you crew your boat is entirely a matter for the skipper and the crew. Mind you, given that the local level of infection is 2 per 100,000 and sailing is out in the open air, my guess would be that the risk from heart attacks or drowning is greater not to mention the roads on the way to the club/

st599

Visit site
My club is organising the normal race series this autumn plus an Open race. The approach seems to be that the club will issue rules on what to do on club property but how you crew your boat is entirely a matter for the skipper and the crew. Mind you, given that the local level of infection is 2 per 100,000 and sailing is out in the open air, my guess would be that the risk from heart attacks or drowning is greater not to mention the roads on the way to the club/

The club property is the pinch point. They can currently make the bar Covid-secure, but until the DCMS issue guidelines for sports clubs, can't make a clubhouse Covid-secure. Without that rating then there is legal limit of 30 on site.

Our club SIs have strict times for different classes arriving, going afloat and returning. In some cases that can mean sitting off the premises waiting for your slot to land. Once landed you have to exit the premises.

Birdseye

Visit site
The club property is the pinch point. They can currently make the bar Covid-secure, but until the DCMS issue guidelines for sports clubs, can't make a clubhouse Covid-secure. Without that rating then there is legal limit of 30 on site.

Our club SIs have strict times for different classes arriving, going afloat and returning. In some cases that can mean sitting off the premises waiting for your slot to land. Once landed you have to exit the premises.

I dont think that there is a legal limit of 30 people. Offices and pubs dont have that. Problem is if you try to establish what the rules are you disappear into a civil service word fest. The RYA say " It is against the law for gatherings with more than 30 people to take place in private homes (including gardens or outdoor spaces) or in a public outdoors space, unless planned by an organisation in compliance with COVID-19 Secure guidance. " And thats for England alone. God knows what the rules are across the river in Wales.

st599

Visit site
I dont think that there is a legal limit of 30 people. Offices and pubs dont have that. Problem is if you try to establish what the rules are you disappear into a civil service word fest. The RYA say " It is against the law for gatherings with more than 30 people to take place in private homes (including gardens or outdoor spaces) or in a public outdoors space, unless planned by an organisation in compliance with COVID-19 Secure guidance. " And thats for England alone. God knows what the rules are across the river in Wales.
Indeed, but there is no published DCMS CoVid secure guidance for a sports club yet, so you can't be in compliance. You can open the bar/restaurant in a club, but only for diners. The rest of the clubhouse has to remain shut.

TernVI

Visit site
Indeed, but there is no published DCMS CoVid secure guidance for a sports club yet, so you can't be in compliance. You can open the bar/restaurant in a club, but only for diners. The rest of the clubhouse has to remain shut.
My dinghy club has, after consultation with the RYA, decided that we cannot even open the member's bar.
My other club has decided that we could legally open the bar, but the general feeling among the members is that we are better off having a beer somewhere with better outdoor space.

Birdseye

Visit site
You cant be out of compliance either! ;)