Crewed racing this summer?

Mudisox

Visit site
It seems odd that if I was on my own, I could make a "bubble" with another group of people on my boat, but not if SWMBO comes as well.

st599

Visit site
It may be okay on the yacht, but how do you organise an event where more than 30 can turn up? There's also a requirement to store contact details for track and trace.

Mudisox

Visit site
Each owner/skipper should have all details of their crew. It is the social /shore side that has pulled the rug from under us.

bdh198

Visit site
From a very quick read of the latest regulations, provided that you have a crew of less than 30 it seems to be OK?

Would the ‘one meter’ guidance still not prevent races being organised where social distancing can’t be enforced? The one meter is guidance and not law, but I can’t see any clubs formally organising races when that guidance remains in place.

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
Ultimately its the skipper's decision whether to race or not - I don't recall race organisers scrutinizing boat's compliance with government guidance in the past

(This post is not to be taken particularly seriously)

Birdseye

Visit site
Each owner/skipper should have all details of their crew. It is the social /shore side that has pulled the rug from under us.
Maybe thats the answer. The race is organised but after race gatherings at the venue arent allowed. In a way, parallell to what is happening in F1 or football.
But leaving aside the rules and regs, there still is the issue that getting together mainly as a group of younger people means spreading the bug. Maybe the spreaders arent aware / wont themselves suffer since apparently 80% of cases are asymptomatic, but somewhere an old phrrt (like me :cry:) gets the bug passed to him and goes to meet his maker.
I guess what I am saying is that not only is there a rules and regs side to this but there also is a social responsibility side. Even if you can do it, should you do it?

flaming

Visit site
New advice from the RYA....

Events in September might go ahead as planned? Maybe? Possibly...?

Attachments

• RYA Sailing & Racing in Mixed Households.pdf
    352.2 KB · Views: 18

Ingwe

Visit site
New advice from the RYA....

Events in September might go ahead as planned? Maybe? Possibly...?

So what rule do you protest under if another boat is breaking these rules to gain an advantage?

Will also be interesting to see how certain sailor's cope with a no shouting rule!

flaming

Visit site
So what rule do you protest under if another boat is breaking these rules to gain an advantage?

Will also be interesting to see how certain sailor's cope with a no shouting rule!
It would almost certainly be an SI that boats must conform. So it would be that to protest under.

wagonicfolding

Visit site
I would say it all depends on you experience. If you have zero experience, I doubt that you will get on any serious race team out on the Sound but that doesn't mean it's not possible. There is racing out of CYC every Wednesday for big boats and Thursday night is Dinghies. There is also racing out of Leshi on Lake Washington on Tuesday at the same time as duck dodge. They race J24s S24s thistles and a couple other things.

Check out the duck dodge FB page. Lots of people are willing to take out newbies. To be honest duck dodge is a shit show sometimes but it's super fun. Bring people beer and they will invite you back

If you're really interested in learning how to sail and have zero experience I suggest taking lessons from a good club. There are several pretty cheap places to take lessons from in Seattle such as the Washington Yacht Club which is a student run sailing club affiliated with UW. It's pretty cheap and you don't have to be a student to join. There is also Sail Sand Point, Center for Wooden Boats, etc.

TLDR Lots of racing, Try duck dodge and take lessons if you want