Crewed racing this summer?

JALDI

Visit site
Yes, sad times indeed. However, a friend on the Dartmouth Sailing Week committee says that they are still hoping to put on an event depending on what the lockdown position is at the time. We shall have to keep our fingers crossed.

flaming

Visit site
Yes, sad times indeed. However, a friend on the Dartmouth Sailing Week committee says that they are still hoping to put on an event depending on what the lockdown position is at the time. We shall have to keep our fingers crossed.
I think it means we have to pull the plug though, I can't afford to gamble the cost of the house rental on there being a worthwhile event and us being able to get the boat down there and crew it.

Mudisox

Visit site
At the moment no full cancellation of sailing events has taken place, only rowing and shore side entertainment has been cancelled by the Main Committee. Sailing Events Committee are leaving it open and will probably/ possibly run some racing. It all also depends upon where the Uk is with social distancing. Who needs Prize givings!!

lw395

Visit site
Have to say my hopes of getting any crewed racing in this year are dwindling.
Any racing at all would be a start.
I have two singlehander dinghies sat idle. Club needs people to man a safety boat and the race office.
Some of us could change at home etc. but many live a fair drive from the club.
So nothing is happening.
I'd like to go sailing, but I'm not going to go to excessive lengths just to race against two other boats.
The outcomes would be very predictable anyway.

This is the longest period I've not raced since 1977. And that includes two years when I decided I was a cruising sailor and had no plans to race at all.

flaming

Visit site
Any racing at all would be a start.
I have two singlehander dinghies sat idle. Club needs people to man a safety boat and the race office.
Some of us could change at home etc. but many live a fair drive from the club.
So nothing is happening.
I'd like to go sailing, but I'm not going to go to excessive lengths just to race against two other boats.
The outcomes would be very predictable anyway.

This is the longest period I've not raced since 1977. And that includes two years when I decided I was a cruising sailor and had no plans to race at all.
I'm hopeful that some doublehanded racing could happen by the end of July, but I cannot see the restrictions being relaxed enough for us to gather 9 people on a boat this Summer. Suspect Cowes will be a white group only regatta if it goes ahead.
In a right grump about it to be honest. Then feel guilty that I'm grumpy about not being able to go sailing when so many people are so much worse off.

st599

Visit site
I'm hopeful that some doublehanded racing could happen by the end of July, but I cannot see the restrictions being relaxed enough for us to gather 9 people on a boat this Summer. Suspect Cowes will be a white group only regatta if it goes ahead.
In a right grump about it to be honest. Then feel guilty that I'm grumpy about not being able to go sailing when so many people are so much worse off.

I think following the RYA RTC guidelines it may be possible to get 4, but only on deck, and with some very intense cleaning. But only if the 2m rule drops to 1m.

Mudisox

Visit site
"Intense cleaning"..... at last I can tell the crew to actually do some, both of themselves and also the boat. Normally a very difficult discussion to initiate!

st599

Visit site
"Intense cleaning"..... at last I can tell the crew to actually do some, both of themselves and also the boat. Normally a very difficult discussion to initiate!
The RYA suggests marking out crew areas to sit, and cleaning each area before moving to another.

Impala

Visit site
Most dinghy championships have a 'ball and chain trophy' for married couples.
I think that might be the only category sailing?

st599

Visit site
Need to be a very long boat to get 2m spacing between crew on the rail, let alone in the cockpit

I doubt it's possible with 2m, but hopefully the distance may be relaxed. The outdoor distance is less in quite a few other countries.

That still leaves the problem od surface contact and not being allowed in to enclosed spaces, like the cabin.

st599

Visit site
I think Guernsey has WHO recommended 1m distancing outdoors, which probably makes yacht racing easier.

ridgy

Visit site
The RORC website suggests that the races next month are still going ahead...e.g. Morgan cup and St Malo.
Does anyone know if that is the case? Seems unlikely given current restrictions.