Crashed into a buoy on the 20th, having a hard time getting responses for gettin repairs

Blueboatman

Visit site
Re Oldgit

Respect!

Don't let a mere crisis get in the way of life ( and a beer or....they come in 4 packs, right?) That is exactly why we have insurance, yay , for genuine Oops moments

Gaffa Tape and Sikaflex are very handy

UK-WOOZY

Visit site
thanks all for the replies so far. im reluctant for the boat to go back in again before i know what is happening for repairs as someone may want to view the boat and if its back in the water it will be inconveniant. I found a place that said they may be able to repair the rail in croydon but i would have to bring it to them, and dont fancy having the boat in the water with just the tape covering the whole rail section if its off. Also dont think i should use it with the dip in the hull by the rail, as there could be more delamination than i can see but cannot get the wood panel thats inside off the boat. I work too so dont have much time. I wanted to get this repaired ASAP, and i wish Crest in the USA would reply to my emails about the rail they have, i have asked a friend in Ohio to try too and have another US friend who said she could arrange shipping but Crest have not answered their calls or emails either. Someone on the Jeanneau owners who had a sun fizz used Crest for rail and they received it. Still no replies from Rob or the many other marina boatyards still. I thought about getting a damage survey outside of insurance but was told its £500 as they surveyor has to make multiple trips to assess the damage then come back after the repair to see it is as good as before, but £500 is too much for me.
I have contacted the ther boatyards that have been suggested too, so thank you.

Daydream believer

Visit site
You do not need to have the same aluminium strip. There are quite a few makes of rubbing strip & there will certainly be one similar to what you had. Just buy a complete new one & replace the lot. The insurance co are paying & you can explain that a match was not available. The slight variation will not be noticeable on the other side of the boat.

ithet

Visit site
When I had serious damage including a toerail the insurance accessor said that if a matching rail could not be sourced the insurance would replace both. In the end the repair yard sourced a match, they said the company holds dies and makes them to order.

Neeves

Visit site
Take note of the idea of an insurance accessor.

I am at something of a loss, considering the pictures, that professional assessment is not top of the list. Has the possible gravity, or size, of the claim not been clearly defined to the insurance company. Who is to decide exactly what remedial work is needed and who is going to sign off on the repairs. Possibly the OP is professional boat builder - but that seems unlikely.

So far we have a bunch of amateurs offering advice on the basis of some scary pictures.

When the repair is completed the yacht should be returned to its pre -accident value.

I'd want a professional, independent assessment of the work that is needed - this can then be submitted to the yard for a valuation and the individual making the assessment now should be employed to sign of on the repairs. To me this should be part of the insurance claim.

The suggestion to go sailing now seems at best dangerous - considering we don't know the extent of the damage.

We have delivery skippers as forum members - I wonder how many would be willing to take on a delivery to a distant yard?

I'd be speaking to the insurance company again and I would certainly not be contemplating any pleasure sailing until repairs are completed. Maybe if the OP suggests that the yacht might need to be written off (even if that is unlikely) it might crystallise minds at the insurer to take a bit more interest in the accident and claim.

Jonathan

Daydream believer

Visit site
The wilks ones are very different though
When you say "different" most end up showing a white strip of "D" shaped rubber. some may have a couple of chrome strips each side of the rubber. I would be surprised if yours, when installed is any different to many boats. The shape of the aluminium holding it at the back is irrelevant.
How about a close up picture of the one the other side so we can see.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Take note of the idea of an insurance accessor.

I am at something of a loss, considering the pictures, that professional assessment is not top of the list. Has the possible gravity, or size, of the claim not been clearly defined to the insurance company. Who is to decide exactly what remedial work is needed and who is going to sign off on the repairs. Possibly the OP is professional boat builder - but that seems unlikely.

So far we have a bunch of amateurs offering advice on the basis of some scary pictures.

When the repair is completed the yacht should be returned to its pre -accident value.

I'd want a professional, independent assessment of the work that is needed - this can then be submitted to the yard for a valuation and the individual making the assessment now should be employed to sign of on the repairs. To me this should be part of the insurance claim.

The suggestion to go sailing now seems at best dangerous - considering we don't know the extent of the damage.

We have delivery skippers as forum members - I wonder how many would be willing to take on a delivery to a distant yard?

I'd be speaking to the insurance company again and I would certainly not be contemplating any pleasure sailing until repairs are completed. Maybe if the OP suggests that the yacht might need to be written off (even if that is unlikely) it might crystallise minds at the insurer to take a bit more interest in the accident and claim.

Jonathan

Couldn't agree more !

The toe rail or the rubbing strake are the least of the issues. The boat has suffered some serious structural damage. The last picture clearly shows an area of hull that has been pushed in and stayed depressed, along with damage to the interior of the boat.

The process is, as you say, to engage an appropriate surveyor to access the damage, then get a quote based on that.

Given that there is a similar boat for sale for £16K, it isn't beyond the reals of possibility that the boat may be written off. Jeanneau Sun Dream 28 for sale | Youboat UK

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I think you have to remember that marine repair businesses need to spread their jobs evenly out over the year. They can't afford to have lots of staff ready at a moment's notice to sort out the dings and bangs of the season because they would be then sitting around over the winter. So we smash our boats up over about four months and they fix 'em for us over twelve.

We're now about two months into the main season, so half the year's damage has now accumulated. That means that, if you're lucky, they'll get to you in about four months' time. It would be nice if they could give quotes quickly, but the people who do that are busy fixing boats and assessing damage which they won't be fixing - if they get the job - until winter will inevitably be low priority. Particularly in cases like this, where there is likely to be some substantial investigation required to find out just how much of the hull has been damaged and how badly.

I know you said £500 was out of reach, but in your position I'd be getting a surveyor to assess the damage and produce a repair scheme. Apart from anything else it will make quoting much easier.

Personal experience: at the end of last season someone pulled my pulpit to one side when the boat was on her mooring. No sign of a hit - looks as if they tied on to it. My insurers (GJW) paid up like lambs, but it took two months to get a quote and the job wasn't actually done till April this year.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Looking closer at the second picture, looks like woven GRP on the hull. That would not have been used in the original build, perhaps there has been damage here before ?

anoccasionalyachtsman

Visit site
Looking closer at the second picture, looks like woven GRP on the hull. That would not have been used in the original build, perhaps there has been damage here before ?
Hi Paul - why d'you think woven roving wouldn't have been used? It was certainly in a lot of boats that I knew of similar vintage, but none were Jeanneaus so maybe you know the brand better than I?

penfold

Visit site
I only offer an opinion based on the photos the OP has put up; I can see no significant damage to the rig or the tie from the shrouds into the hull and from the pictures I can't imagine why there would be. The OP was sailing when the damage occurred but the rig stayed up - ipso facto. There is obvious gross damage to the hull/deck joint for perhaps 3-400mm, that joint is ~22m long so the monocoque is substantially intact. The shroud reaction point is inside and ~600mm from the collision damage. I don't believe there's any risk of the mast falling down, with the caveat that I am not a surveyor nor have I seen the damage in person.

That's a perfectly reasonable suggestion.

Why would roving not be used? it's reinforcing the shroud chainplate/reaction point.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Hi Paul - why d'you think woven roving wouldn't have been used? It was certainly in a lot of boats that I knew of similar vintage, but none were Jeanneaus so maybe you know the brand better than I?

I wouldn't claim to be an expert on what GRP was used where/when, but i don't recal seeing any woven mat on older Jeanneaus, happy to be corrected if any other owners know different, but my last boat was a 2003 Jeanneau and there was no woven material anywhere that i saw.

If you look closely (zoom) the second image, the left and right compartments are both covered in vinyl, the centre one is bare GRP, painted white. The woven material extends part way into the left compartment and doesn't look a very neat layup.

Of course, i'm only looking at a couple of pictures from my armchair, so it might not be what it looks like.

Last edited:

anoccasionalyachtsman

Visit site
I wouldn't claim to be an expert on what GRP was used where/when, but i don't recal seeing any woven mat on older Jeanneaus, happy to be corrected if any other owners know different, but my last boat was a 2003 Jeanneau and there was no woven material anywhere that i saw.

If you look closely (zoom) the second image, the left and right compartments are both covered in vinyl, the centre one is bare GRP, painted white. The woven material extends part way into the left compartment and doesn't look a very neat layup.

Of course, i'm only looking at a couple of pictures from my armchair, so it might not be what it looks like.
Isn't that bubblewrap? Insulation or protecting fine wine?

Caraway

Visit site
Definitely a previous repair.

Whats-App-Image-2021-07-21-at-6-54-15-AM.jpg