Crane/Hiab Pembroke?

NotBirdseye

Visit site
Anyone have any recommendations? I got one quote for 2500... for the crane... (it's 30ft weighs around 6200lb... I feel like I was being swindled). I just want to get the boat off the back of the lorry.

TwoHooter

Visit site
We hired cranes and Hiab lorries a lot in our business (retired 2014 but still a shareholder).
The price of everything like this rose significantly over the last few years and I understand is now going through the roof. I anticipate very high inflation in almost everything over the next few months.
£2,500 sounds high but I've seen worse quotes for a lift.
Ask to see evidence that the crane operator is adequately insured for both property damage (your boat and anything he might drop it on) and public liability. If the evidence is not forthcoming, run a mile. Don't let them fob you off with excuses. I was once shown a copy of an employer's liability policy by a crane operator. On further investigation it turned out the only insurance he had was the employer's and third party fire and theft for his lorry! Friends of mine who own items with a replacement cost of about half a million each checked their longstanding Hiab haulier's insurance last year and it turned out he was only insured up to £100k.
Your own insurer may refuse to pay a claim if you use a contractor and haven't checked their insurance. If it was me I would tell my own insurer what I am planning to do.
Good luck.

Graham_Wright

www.mastaclimba.com
Anyone have any recommendations? I got one quote for 2500... for the crane... (it's 30ft weighs around 6200lb... I feel like I was being swindled). I just want to get the boat off the back of the lorry.
Why not use a hoist? The one at Barry has a 25 tonne limit. You need to check with BYC but the cost would be a fraction of that. You haven't said where. (Sorry - Pembroke).

Last edited:

NotBirdseye

Visit site
Pembroke. As other users are aware (but crewing isn't possible) I'm trying to get my boat from Scotland to Pembroke. My problem at the moment is sourcing the follow up crane frustratingly. I've contacted various companies that are unwilling to do it. It's not as though I could plonk her into the marina at Neyland and sail her the rest of the way either (otherwise I would do just that).

NotBirdseye

Visit site
I've (fortunately) no need to have the boat moved (this is a separate expense that I've already catered for). All I need is a crane/hiab to take her from the back of the lorry to the hard. The boat yard can take over from there.

10 tonnes seems heavy, steel?

Praxinoscope

Visit site
it's probably too late for this suggestion but we have a local guy (Aberaeron) who runs his own boat moving business, his latest low loader has a hi-ab with a lifting capacity of about 11 ton. He knows what he's doing and is not Rolls Royce prices.
Try giving him a ring

Lee Colman 07813700249

Alternative suggestion, I think there is limited access at Rudders other boat owners have lifted off at East Llanion Boatyard, just over the river from Rudders and either taken it straight across or left it at East Llanion until ready to go.
Vance at East Llanion has full lifting capabilities so no problem.

Last edited:

TwoHooter

Visit site
I'm quite disappointed. I had visions of the boat being at Pembroke itself. A few years ago I nearly managed to join the Mayor's annual flotilla to maintain navigation rights on the Pembroke River.
May I ask why you cannot move the boat the short distance from Neyland Marina (where the boat lift could unload it) to Rudders? Even if it can't sail and hasn't got an engine it could be taken round by a motorboat, possibly from the marina. Of course if it's not watertight then that's a non-starter.

NotBirdseye

Visit site
it's probably too late for this suggestion but we have a local guy (Aberaeron) who runs his own boat moving business, his latest low loader has a hi-ab with a lifting capacity of about 11 ton. He knows what he's doing and is not Rolls Royce prices.
Try giving him a ring

Lee Colman 07813700249

Alternative suggestion, I think there is limited access at Rudders other boat owners have lifted off at East Llanion Boatyard, just over the river from Rudders and either taken it straight across or left it at East Llanion until ready to go.
Vance at East Llanion has full lifting capabilities so no problem.

Why do these people never have websites... >.< I'll give him a shout. I doubt he'll do the Scotland run but c'est la vie...

Again I can't do the 'taking it straight across' part sadly. So far as I can tell COVID-19 regulations prevent me from undertaking these activities. (I'm not local and I wouldn't me making sure the boat is secure or securing the boat.)

@Snoopy463 if you could pass them along would be much appreciated. The journey via the M4 and main dual carriage ways is much easier and cheaper than more windy routes.

Getting quote from Lee now, at the very least 300+vat is a better crane option than 2,500.... (+vat). He's also willing to do the Ullapool trip which is great :) makes my life much easier if he's reasonable with his quote!

I don't know how steep the track is... but even if the boat is dropped on the road (I say dropped, I mean very gently placed... with silk cushions...) and the yard takes it down...

Last edited:

Praxinoscope

Visit site
Why do these people never have websites... >.< I'll give him a shout. I doubt he'll do the Scotland run but c'est la vie...

Again I can't do the 'taking it straight across' part sadly. So far as I can tell COVID-19 regulations prevent me from undertaking these activities. (I'm not local and I wouldn't me making sure the boat is secure or securing the boat.)

@Snoopy463 if you could pass them along would be much appreciated. The journey via the M4 and main dual carriage ways is much easier and cheaper than more windy routes.

Lee does have an email address lee5872@gmail.com his website is a bit hit and miss.
He brought my Sadler 25 from Ipswich to Aberaeron, and if I remember correctly he transported WoodyP's boat a fair distance.

Snoopy463

Visit site

Getting quote from Lee now, at the very least 300+vat is a better crane option than 2,500.... (+vat). He's also willing to do the Ullapool trip which is great :) makes my life much easier if he's reasonable with his quote!

I don't know how steep the track is... but even if the boat is dropped on the road (I say dropped, I mean very gently placed... with silk cushions...) and the yard takes it down...
www.kylestransport.co.uk Contact Kyle on 07817 729099 . You can see my boat on his website - guess which one.
www.hiab.wales Contact Jeff Laidlaw on 07860 636888

Both Kyle and Jeff have moved boats for me and many other members at Newport Uskmouth SC. If you've not contacted the trucking down from Scotland, I'm sure that either could do the whole job. Good luck!

NotBirdseye

Visit site
Lea Colman has provided a quote of around 2500~ all in from Ullapool to Pembroke with a Hiab. Where was this guy last year! Coincidentally, he's hired. Just discussing how to pay him and then everything's a go!