CraftInsure - HEADS UP!

Gwylan

Visit site
If you are insured with them check the renewaI email very carefully and scroll down to the bottom of the renewal email.

I have just had a bit of a difficult few minutes with Craft Insure. We have been insured with them for about 10 years. They have always been competitive and easy to deal with.
Even when a third party ran into the boat!

They were even understanding when we spent 3 years in The Netherlands

I got an advice that the insurance we due for renewal, with a perfectly acceptable price.Was away travelling so let nature take its course. It happened that my credit card has changed so they contacted me to get a new number. Again a nice service touch.

In passing we touched on the age of the boat - 1986 - that was not what they had and the premium promptly had to be recalculated. Bloody leap of £70, more.

Whilst on the phone I looked up the email and find that just below all the verbage and out of my regular email window pane is a link to go and confirm the age of your boat! I had not seen this and corrected it. They have only previously worried if the boat is more than 20 years old and less than 50 then it should have a professional survey carried out in the last 5 years.

Now I am stuck, the renewal date was 20th March and i have enjoyed a few days cover and feel an obligation to stick with them. Also I cannot spend the afternoon chasing around looking for a new insurer.

But you can be sure that they will be ice skating in hell before I renew with them next year.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Visit site
Cooling off period, does that include finding a better deal? Does rather assume that I can find a better deal.
Hadn't really thought about that.

They have been very nice up to now. Did bitch to the woman on the phone, but she couldn't move on the price [what's a female jobsworth?] She didn't mention the 14 days either.

My favourable opinion is waning.

This evening I shall be mostly researching boat insurance.

stevebrassett

Visit site
When my renewal came through, I rang them about the age verification. The person I spoke to was very helpful, and suggested that I revised the boat value. I did this, and the premium came down by nearly £100.

Gwylan

Visit site
When my renewal came through, I rang them about the age verification. The person I spoke to was very helpful, and suggested that I revised the boat value. I did this, and the premium came down by nearly £100.

Yes, tried reducing the value to a realistic sum. Not any difference - the gap was still £70!

West Coast

Visit site
Craft Insure have had this policy re compulsory survey for some time - which is why I moved insurers a few years ago with my last boat. As said elsewhere, Y Insurance have good terms and prices, which is why I have been with them ever since

mogmog2

www.spidery.force9.co.uk
My insurance went up 15% for no obvious reason on my first renewal A discussion on a different forum indicated that we can all expect premiums to increase due to "recent heavy losses" and I came across a (YM?) article about it.
Given that the 15% amounted to about £20 and I'm a bit busy, I let it ride this year and hope to get organised enough next year to shop around a bit, but its a lot of work checking the cover levels so I had to be content with a good harumph.

fifer

Visit site
Is this only applicable to comp policies. I'm third party with Craftinsure and don't seem to be affected by this issue.

mogmog2

www.spidery.force9.co.uk
when you renew in a years time elswhere i recommend GJW, im paying pretty much the same for a 1988 30ft that i was for a 1979 22 footer. And i made a claim of a £1000 when i lost the rudder on the previous boat,

They were first on my list as my GP14 is with them Ive just got too much on with my keel problems.

Gwylan

Visit site
Why did you leave it so late? I have a note in my diary to contact the insurance companies for quotes eight weeks before renewal date.

You have obviously been talking to my wife. Did you always get your homework in on time too?

In between chasing a bad debt several orders of magnitude bigger I was dealing with March. Something happened in my life pattern that means March is renewal month.
Property insurance, car insurance, liability insurance, energy providers, mobile contracts, marina renewal and boat insurance .

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
You have obviously been talking to my wife. Did you always get your homework in on time too?

In between chasing a bad debt several orders of magnitude bigger I was dealing with March. Something happened in my life pattern that means March is renewal month.
Property insurance, car insurance, liability insurance, energy providers, mobile contracts, marina renewal and boat insurance .
I am married to an accountant who has membership of two professional bodies! I am an engineer who, having spent a little time in the aircraft industry, has a pretty strict preventative maintenance policy.

During my university life assignments were always handed in a week before the deadline, I could enjoy the bar in peace then. School was pretty random depending on the subject.

Sad I know. :eek:

Elessar

Visit site
If you are insured with them check the renewaI email very carefully and scroll down to the bottom of the renewal email.

I have just had a bit of a difficult few minutes with Craft Insure. We have been insured with them for about 10 years. They have always been competitive and easy to deal with.

I got an advice that the insurance we due for renewal, with a perfectly acceptable price.Was away travelling so let nature take its course. It happened that my credit card has changed so they contacted me to get a new number. Again a nice service touch.

In passing we touched on the age of the boat - 1986 - that was not what they had and the premium promptly had to be recalculated. Bloody leap of £70, more.

Whilst on the phone I looked up the email and find that just below all the verbage and out of my regular email window pane is a link to go and confirm the age of your boat! I had not seen this and corrected it. They have only previously worried if the boat is more than 20 years old and less than 50 then it should have a professional survey carried out in the last 5 years.

Now I am stuck, the renewal date was 20th March and i have enjoyed a few days cover and feel an obligation to stick with them. Also I cannot spend the afternoon chasing around looking for a new insurer.

But you can be sure that they will be ice skating in hell before I renew with them next year.

So let me see. You gave them the wrong age of your boat and when correcting it changed the premium that's their fault?

You even say they gave good service. I've always found them excellent, even when I had a fault claim (a hired skipper crunched my boat). Good prices too.

I don't even look elsewhere, but I do click the correct box to tell them the age of my boat - the only way they know it.

c.buck

Visit site

Keep up posted how you get along! might be worth shopping around to see who can help you in this predicament. Give these guy's a go... my insurance wen't down £150 at renewal this year to a different insurer! www.CompareYachtInsurance.com

#TheDaysOfLoyaltyAreLongGone