Cowes Week Fireworks

bedouin

Visit site
Re: Me too...

I was also wondering this.

Is it feasible to pop across from Portsmouth and watch the fireworks from on the water without having to find a berth in Cowes?

G

Depends how much you want to see. Last year the fireworks were pretty spectacular from as far away as Calshot Spit. I'd have thought somewhere on the water out of the way around the Brambles (LW Portsmouth is 21.49 BST ) would be fine if you cant find anywhere to anchor off Cowes.

You'll probably see more than you would from land anyway.

andrewhopkins

Visit site
anchor

Thats what everyone else does. Try the bay to the east of Cowes (cant remember its name, begins with a B.....?).

Be careful of the motorcruisers with a load of drunkards on boards. When the display finishes they usually up anchor and floor it at 30 knots causing mayhem. Last year 2 boats hit each other and another couple grounded off Hamble spit.

robp

Visit site
Re: anchor

Ah.. must be Bosborne Bay! It's just round the "corner" though.

Motorboats? Must be dark by then!

Only joking:- all my friends with motorboats

bedouin

Visit site
Re: Osborne Bay

Wouldn't being round the corner rather spoil the view?

Anyone got a Waypoint for the firework location?

G

Re: Osborne Bay

Display is at The Parade, Cowes N50:45:53 W1:17:57

Youll have to have (very) long legs to see it from Osborne Bay. To see it, from the water, you'd need to have the Parade open of Old Castle Point. ie West of a Transit between Stokes Bay and Old Castle Point

Peter_the_Grate

Visit site

I had thought about dropping the hook somewhere in the middle of the Brambles (twin keel so no major grounding problems)(unless it's rough of course). It will be springs (mostly) so the ferries and anything big should keep clear.

G

Re: Bramble Bank

There's about 1.5M at LW - you wont take the ground for long.

Good View tho

tony_brighton

Visit site
never mind the night time display - haven't you guys been out there this weekend? Fabulous amounts of chaos on the go - and plenty of verbal fireworks. Saw at least two boats without masts on Saturday and heard at least two maydays.

bedouin

Visit site
We were out this weekend - great fun too!

Saw one boat coming into Shamrock Quay with its mast in two pieces.

Had a good sail back on Sunday - we were cruising (on Starboard) among one of the classes (looked like IRC Class 2) - they were a very pretty sight with their spinnakers up in the sunshine.

I did actually alter course to make life easier for one of them, and got a friendly wave in return. Now that's not something you see very often. (But it was a French boat :-()