Covid Rules - When is it enough

newtothis

Visit site
Your border in New Zealand is not sealed shut. Visiting boats cant go to NZ unless they agree to spend $50,000NZ when they get there! So nobody can go there unless you pay lots of money. Double standards and hypocrisy come to mind
Your source for that?

geem

Visit site
Your source for that?
We have friends who are already booked in for arrival in NZ later this year. The condition is they spend the money in the NZ boating industry. They intend to do a refit to that value of work so they can get entry

newtothis

Visit site
We have friends who are already booked in for arrival in NZ later this year. The condition is they spend the money in the NZ boating industry. They intend to do a refit to that value of work so they can get entry
Ah, that renowned internet expert, Professor Anecdote.
I suspect what your friends have chosen to do do is utilise Section 11 (2 )(b)(ii) of the COVID-19 Public Health Response (Maritime Border) Order (No 2) 2020 that allows a vessels to visit for a significant refit.
It isn't saying you you have to do a major refit if you go there. It is saying you can't go full stop, with one of the few exceptions being that you are doing a major refit.
Don't quite see how that fits into your description of double standards and I don't see how it distracts from the primary argument that NZ's strict border and travel controls have resulted in a grand total of 26 Covid deaths, while the UK has over 127,000.

geem

Visit site
Its simple. If you are on a boat in the South Pacific you cant go to NZ unless you are prepared to spend money in the NZ economy. The stipulation is on your boat. The risks from two identical boats and crew to the spread of covid in to NZ is identical but one cant go. The other can because they will be spending lots of money there. Double standards

RJJ

Visit site
The concern is new variants that may be immune to our current vaccine.
...right, that don't exist yet? There is no known variant, out of tens of thousands, that is "immune" to our current vaccine. This is in the category of "the sky might fall on my head; mustn't go out".

There's the sketchiest of evidence that the AZ vaccine may be less effective (not ineffective) against the SA variant. It indicated that people might remain more susceptible to mild symptoms - that is all.

newtothis

Visit site
Its simple. If you are on a boat in the South Pacific you cant go to NZ unless you are prepared to spend money in the NZ economy. The stipulation is on your boat. The risks from two identical boats and crew to the spread of covid in to NZ is identical but one cant go. The other can because they will be spending lots of money there. Double standards
Yeah, talk amongst yourself, geem.

geem

Visit site
Yeah, talk amongst yourself, geem.
Google it
At present, only yachts that have a compelling need to be delivered to a business in New Zealand, including for the purpose of substantial repairs or a refit, may be granted an exemption to enter New Zealand waters with their crew. Conditions are strict and decisions are made on a case by case basis.

geem

Visit site
I think you’ll find that what geem says is accurate.
Thank you.
Our friends dont have a compelling reason to go to NZ except they want to go. They need to do a refit at some point but nothing urgent. Their application has been accepted with no difficulty except the requirement to spend $50,000NZ on said refit.

newtothis

Visit site
Google it
At present, only yachts that have a compelling need to be delivered to a business in New Zealand, including for the purpose of substantial repairs or a refit, may be granted an exemption to enter New Zealand waters with their crew. Conditions are strict and decisions are made on a case by case basis.
I did. In fact I sent you a link to the actual documentation in my last reply. And my argument was exactly that: that only yachts that need a refit can go into NZ, so it is not hypocritical or double standards. So my argument remains that NZ has strict border controls that have helped it keep its number of Covid-related deaths to less that 30.

Scomber

Visit site
And a much much smaller population so easier to track whats going on. 2 of my offspring both resident got tested easily for a bit of a sniffle , you wouldnt want to be a named spreader espec with so few cases about. South Island.