Covered Storage in Bristol area

ed80

Visit site
Hi,
I am looking at buying a project boat to fix up and get on the water. I am looking for somewhere to store it and work on it relatively close to Bristol. Bristol Marina is a no go, they are not taking any long term bookings for the yard, and neither are Underfall yard.

Is there anywhere within an hour or so drive of Bristol where I can keep a 40ish foot yacht, preferably under cover, while I work on it for 6 to 12 months? It does not need to have be next to water, but ideally they would have facilities to unload a yacht from a low loader. I plan to call Sharpness shipyard, but looking for other options.

Thanks,
Edward

bitbaltic

sailingkarisma.wordpress.com
If you were really within 6-12 months of completing the refit of a 40-footer you should be already at a point where you can do it in the water. If there is sufficient work to be done that you want it out of the water you should look at more like 3,4, 20, 30 years on the hard.

tongue in cheek maybe but you would get better advice if you gave an indication of how big a job you are looking at.

ed80

Visit site
Before it goes in the water it needs:
  • at least 2 coats of paint, and bottom paint
  • Rudder/steering gear installing
  • Windows fitted
  • Thruhulls installed
  • Some final engine work, installing throttle and instruments
  • Fit the propshaft and prop
  • Keel installed (probably the biggest job)
  • Some minimum viable deck fittings to allow it to be tied up securely once it has been launched
The keel job will need a crane, so might rule out using a barn or somewhere without the appropriate equipment. I have quotes for casting the keel, the stainless frame and plug mould are already made, so that should not take too long. The rudder has been built, it just needs to be painted and installed. The hull has been prepared for mounting the steering components, reinforced where required, etc.

I don't think this is more than 6 months work, given a realistic pace, even with winter looming. If I am wrong then fair enough. The work so far was done professionally in a yard, it has been inspected by a surveyor and given two enthusiastic thumbs up. The yacht is being moved on due to financial troubles, I would like to finish it (if I can) myself, with professional help where necessary.