Courteous & considerate navigation

Dan Tribe

Visit site
Just had an email from Crouch Harbour Authority asking that power driven vessels navigate in a courteous and considerate manner.
I've never noticed this before, has something triggered the appeal?
Does it mean that us raggies can charge around causing mayhem? :)

johnalison

Visit site
I caused mayhem in the Crouch once. As I was tacking into the river I met a fleet of dinghies racing in the same direction. Since I was also racing in a passage race I bestowed upon myself the right to charge through them, being somewhat faster and claiming my 'starboard' priorities whenever I could.

Dan Tribe

Visit site
I caused mayhem in the Crouch once. As I was tacking into the river I met a fleet of dinghies racing in the same direction. Since I was also racing in a passage race I bestowed upon myself the right to charge through them, being somewhat faster and claiming my 'starboard' priorities whenever I could.
I once got squeezed out of a mark rounding by my grand daughter in her Optimist.
An unusual hail was "starboard Grampa!"
She was in the right, but I bought her boat. That gave me no rights.:(

Triassic

Visit site
We were running down the Crouch one year during Burnham week when we came up behind two monohulls who were busy trying to blanket each others spinnaker in their own little duel.... They were around a boat length apart when we went between them at around 20 knots......I thought that courteous and considerate enough and we certainly all had a jolly good laugh about it in the bar that evening!

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
We were running down the Crouch one year during Burnham week when we came up behind two monohulls who were busy trying to blanket each others spinnaker in their own little duel.... They were around a boat length apart when we went between them at around 20 knots......I thought that courteous and considerate enough and we certainly all had a jolly good laugh about it in the bar that evening!

:)

I was once sailing through the Ray and just about to enter the Crouch. One of my early momentous journeys from the Blackwater to anywhere else.

A lone sailing boat not too far away was shouting "WIND ! " I checked that I was doing
everything ok with regard to the colregs and that he was not likely to run aground on his current tack.
I decided that this boat probably new a lot more about sailing than I did. I turned round and sailed back towards the Blackwater for quite a while.

Later on I learnt what "I'm Racing" meant. :)

Last edited:

Dan Tribe

Visit site
It could be significant that it was a lone sailing boat. It's often the tail end Charlies who are the most aggressive at "we're racing " calls.

Tradewinds

Visit site
^^^^ Too true.
Back in the day, my one and only chance of beating the sailing club's Fireball whizz helm. We found ourselves ahead poised for victory. Where next? D'oh :rolleyes:
Came second :( .

johnalison

Visit site
^^^^ Too true.
Back in the day, my one and only chance of beating the sailing club's Fireball whizz helm. We found ourselves ahead poised for victory. Where next? D'oh :rolleyes:
Came second :( .
It is not a problem that has often occurred to me, for some reason. There was one occasion when I was brought in to fill the club team for a team race in Fireflies. The one I was allotted was so fast that I found myself far ahead at the first mark. I was then presented with the dilemma of whether to carry on and race for points for first place or to hang around and mess up the opposition, who were much more experienced than me. I took the cowardly option.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
I once got squeezed out of a mark rounding by my grand daughter in her Optimist.
An unusual hail was "starboard Grampa!"
She was in the right, but I bought her boat. That gave me no rights.:(

Imagine if power boats or even jet skis thought they would have a race at that location.

Dan Tribe

Visit site
Imagine if power boats or even jet skis thought they would have a race at that location.
There have been occasions where I've come up against "predicted log" events with power boats, but not jet-ski races, yet.
The manoeuvrability difference between an Optimist and a 31 ft cruiser was enough fun for me. I should have thought ahead more, and I shouldn't have been there anyway.

johnalison

Visit site
There have been occasions where I've come up against "predicted log" events with power boats, but not jet-ski races, yet.
The manoeuvrability difference between an Optimist and a 31 ft cruiser was enough fun for me. I should have thought ahead more, and I shouldn't have been there anyway.
On one Sunday afternoon in the ‘70s we needed to make our way up the Blackwater to catch the tide at Heybridge. We had heard that there was going to be some kind of water-ski race but had not bargained for what this involved. As we passed Bradwell there was a deep roar and saw a cloud approaching us, consisting of maybe fifty or more high-powered speedboats negotiating a triangular course in the river. They must have been doing 50mph plus but somehow or other we managed to miss them and made our way to safety.

sailorman

Visit site
Just had an email from Crouch Harbour Authority asking that power driven vessels navigate in a courteous and considerate manner.
I've never noticed this before, has something triggered the appeal?
Does it mean that us raggies can charge around causing mayhem? :)
sequence was a dissqpointmentagainlastyearithikkthe main ingredients is notw musclefeed