Courier "Lost" my sail

londonpiper

Visit site
In order to get a new mainsail for my Centaur, number 2369, I sent my old one to Jeckells via their courier who claim to have lost it.
Has anyone else experienced this?

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Who booked and paid the courier? If Jeckells arranged collection and paid, then it's their responsibility. If you booked and paid the courier, then it's your problem to claim compensation from them. Hermes lost an outboard engine I had posted, fortunately I had paid extra to increase insured amount. They had agreed to pay when it turned up again, had been sent to the wrong hub/depot.

Concerto

Visit site
You need to constantly read Hermes Terms and Conditions and their Insurance Conditions. Currently I am suing them for over £600 for insurance I paid for parcels that were covered when I first started using them 5 years ago, however they continually change their T&C's without any notification. You are expected to check them everytime you dispatch. They continually change their insurance terms without any notice and cannot inform me when a subtle change made my parcels excluded from their insurance. When declaring the parcel contents their software does not stop ineligible items from taking out insurance and allow you to assuming they are insured. The claim was all triggered by them delivering a parcel worth only £24 to a wrong address. Insurance was paid as the free limit was £20 and they said the contents of the parcel were excluded and refused to pay a penny. Luckily I could replace the item with a similar one I had in stock and the customer was happy, if not I would have had to refund the customer. Due to Covid19 the case should have been heard on 22 April and currently awaiting a revised court date. So you have been warned about Hermes, so I hope londonpiper did not use Hermes as he may be completely out of pocket.

lw395

Visit site
ParcelFarce managed to lose a rudder I'd bought on ebay.
It mysteriously reappeared after 4 weeks.
I can imagine a jiffy bag falling under a table and hiding for a while, but a rudder for an RS400?

It may turn up.

I think the record for packages or letters being spat out by the post office is something like 80 years?
Other couriers are mere beginners!

CLP

Visit site
Who booked and paid the courier? If Jeckells arranged collection and paid, then it's their responsibility. If you booked and paid the courier, then it's your problem to claim compensation from them.
I had a similar experience in 2006, I was returning a one season old furling genoa for winter valeting to the sailmaker. They recommended "Business Post" and they arranged the pick up. After pickup the sail was never seen again. I had a 12 month battle to get anywhwere. The Insurers refused anything, Business Post refused point blank any responsibility and despite letters even to the Business Post CEO from me and the sailmaker and lawyers, they made absolutely no response. In the end, the sailmaker, probably through embarassment, offered to make me a new sale at a 50% discount. It was the best arrangement I could get. I still get really annoyed when I think about it. I hope you can get Jeckells to accept it's their responsibilty, I doubt you'll get anywhere with the courier.

[163233]

Visit site
I used to think Hermes were crap, but then I experienced Correos Express in Spain, and they make Hermes look good.
However we don't know the courier. And Graham376 appears to have the answer.

Never send anything valuable with Hermes.
(Or Correos Express)

I've actually just today had the twisted comedy of half an order turning up, with the courier insisting it's split, but there's only one tracking number. What f'ing use is a tracking number to anyone if it doesn't actually track the thing that is in f'ing transit?

Daedelus

Visit site
I used to work for Royal Mail and one of the sorting offices was having sorting machines installed which necessitated the removal of some manual fittings which were used to manually sort letters. Behind one of them, which you could only get at by unbolting and disassembling the thing they found a great handful of letters which had slipped down the tiny gap against the wall and some of them were years old. The local manager was not looking forward to the press articles he knew would be coming.

Gerry

www.gerryantics.blogspot.com
Hermes are worse than useless IMHO. I have lost count of the number of times they have claimed the delivery was refused/unable to deliver or simply never turned up. Their tracking service is appalling and its virtually impossible to chase up a parcel. God knows why anyone uses them. Just the mention of their name is enough to send me into a complete rant!

D

Deleted member 36384

As a by the way, regarding couriers. I had some cast iron guttering and accessories dispatched to my home a couple of weeks ago. The parcel was damaged on receipt and driver unloaded into front garden and drove off. There was an item missing and when I went onto Tuffnells web sit I discovered that the driver had actually signed my name on his device. After advising of the lost item, I asked Tuffnells to remove my forged signature from their system, no response so far. Other couriers have taken photographs to prove delivery.

Stemar

Visit site
As a by the way, regarding couriers. I had some cast iron guttering and accessories dispatched to my home a couple of weeks ago. The parcel was damaged on receipt and driver unloaded into front garden and drove off. There was an item missing and when I went onto Tuffnells web sit I discovered that the driver had actually signed my name on his device. After advising of the lost item, I asked Tuffnells to remove my forged signature from their system, no response so far. Other couriers have taken photographs to prove delivery.
That's starting to look like time for a "Dear Sir, Unless within seven days" letter

MoodySabre

Visit site
Everybody seems to assume it was Hermes. I've never had a problem with low value stuff. There was a report a couple of weeks on TV of a company that looses an amazing amount of stuff sent via Hermes and lots of it was found in an auction house still with the labels on. Clearly a problem with their drivers nicking stuff and passing it on.

Good luck with sail.

Rum Run

Visit site
I had occasion to visit my local Screwfix a couple of days ago, which is on a trading estate, and found that the car park was was covered in a motley crew of cars and people of all descriptions rummaging through wheeled cages of miscellaneous parcels. It transpires that this is the local Herpes distribution point and they are using the car park to get over social distancing issues. It looked like a boot fair but less organised

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
Herpes, Parcelfarce etc are NOT couriers

They're parcels companies

Couriers collect a consignment from the collection address and deliver it directly to the receiving address

Couriers do not, without the agreement of all parties, co-load (carry goods for more than one customer)

Parcels companies send out vehicles to make multiple collections which are then thrown out of the back of that van into a warehouse where they're kicked around into piles and thrown into the back of overnight trunking artics

Then they're thrown out of that trailer and kicked around a second warehouse to be sorted onto van runs of anything up to 50, 60 or 70 deliveries.

There isn't much care or concern and there's multiple opportunities for stuff to be mis-routed, lost or damaged. And in the latter case it's not unusual for damaged parcels to be quietly "lost" - a lost parcel generates fewer awkward questions

If you want a consignment carried from A to B without going via C, D and beyond, if you want it carried in one vehicle by one driver who takes care with what he/she has loaded (if for no other reason than having nobody else to blame!) then use a proper courier. It'll cost more of course but you pays your money and takes your choice

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
Couriers collect a consignment from the collection address and deliver it directly to the receiving address
Couriers do not, without the agreement of all parties, co-load (carry goods for more than one customer)
Parcels companies send out vehicles to make multiple collections which are then thrown out of the back of that van into a warehouse where they're kicked around into piles and thrown into the back of overnight trunking artics
Then they're thrown out of that trailer and kicked around a second warehouse to be sorted onto van runs of anything up to 50, 60 or 70 deliveries.
There isn't much care or concern and there's multiple opportunities for stuff to be mis-routed, lost or damaged. And in the latter case it's not unusual for damaged parcels to be quietly "lost" - a lost parcel generates fewer awkward questions
If you want a consignment carried from A to B without going via C, D and beyond, if you want it carried in one vehicle by one driver who takes care with what he/she has loaded (if for no other reason than having nobody else to blame!) then use a proper courier. It'll cost more of course but you pays your money and takes your choice.

Just a play on words. Even courier services such as Fedex use vans, planes, depots and cars. One guy may have collected the package and another delivered it by car but the collector didn't bring my spares by overnight service from Yorkshire to Portugal.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Hermes are worse than useless IMHO. I have lost count of the number of times they have claimed the delivery was refused/unable to deliver or simply never turned up. Their tracking service is appalling and its virtually impossible to chase up a parcel. God knows why anyone uses them. Just the mention of their name is enough to send me into a complete rant!
I bought a kitchen rack from Gumtree and used Hermes through ParcelMoney to collect it. Only half of it turned up: the there brackets were there but the itself had been ripped off and lost. ParcelMoney refused any liability because, they said, it was two different items (only after Hermes got their grubby paws on it) and should have been sent as two consignments. A letter before action did the trick, and they grumpily refunded me in full and paid the full purchase cost of the item.

I should say, though, that all the guys (they are all guys) who do courier deliveries round here are friendly, helpful and efficient. It's the central distribution bits which often seem to be incompetent and defensive.

JumbleDuck

Visit site

Will you tell them or shall I?

tCfepdA.png

FYRQMk8.png

Here's the relevant entry from the OED:

aKRfxS9.png