Costa Concordia sinking on TV

Frogmogman

Visit site
The subject of the 1st of a 2 part series that is tonight at 21:00 -22:00 on Channel 5. Part 2 is tomorrow night. Probably mostly about the passengers rather than about the boat handling...
Having chartered a boat in the bay of Naples one August, and witnessed the denizens of that fine city out and about in their mobos, it came as no surprise to me to discover that the Captain of the Costa Concordia was a Neapolitan…….

TC Tuckton

Visit site
As far as I can recall the AIS track of the incident showed the vessel approach the shore very closely then head out to deeper water before returning to shore before beaching. This suggests to me that someone on the bridge made a good decision.
Sinking in deeper water would have greatly increased the number of casualties.

Reactions: RMC

newtothis

Visit site
As far as I can recall the AIS track of the incident showed the vessel approach the shore very closely then head out to deeper water before returning to shore before beaching. This suggests to me that someone on the bridge made a good decision.
Not doing a flyby close to shore to impress your mistress on the bridge would have significantly decreased the number of casualties.
Not abandoning ship would have done wonders for Schettino's credibility as a master as well.

Capt Popeye

Visit site
Viewed this programme and was impressed by the Personal interviews , actual recordings at the time , impressed by the interplay between the CG rescue services and Police , err non so far from the Captain though !

Blueboatman

Visit site
Braggadocio …

I’ve clonked a buoy with the end of the boom one night years ago but no female favours were in play or ahem in the offing !

Capt Popeye

Visit site
Fred Drift ere ; We were on a Cruise departing Liverpool a few years ago , heading up the Irish Sea towards Scotland ; late evening when the Engine Tone changed a bit , then changed again , the Ships lighting went out then on again then out again ; then silence as the Engine stopped completely ; an On board announcement that we have engine failure was broadcast on the Ships Internal Public /Cabin system ; bloody hell looking out the Cabins Windows it was pitch black outside , so do we change for Bed Sleep or stay Clothed in case of n Emergency ? cripes we decided to stay clothed and actually put warmer clothing on , just in case of an Abandon Ship command ; venturing out of the Cabin caught the attention of Ships Officers on patrol, 'please return to your cabin ASAP' was their response to seeing me ; which I did after what seemed like eternity sitting with Emergency Lighting on an announcement that the Ships generators had failed but were being worked on ; After a long while the Main Engine started up again , with full Lighting , well for a short while it did , then an announcemnt that the Ship was attempting to make for Hollyhead over night for repairs ; That experience was quite scary , drifting in the main shipping lanes of the Nortern Irish Sea in darkness , relying on the Emergency lighting only ;

So I can in some slight way have exprience of the passengers on 'Concordia'when a Ship loose power and therefore control over navigation , luckily we woke in the Morning berthed safetly in Holyhead , where Ship stayed for a couple of days awaiting for a replacement Generator (or something)

Aboard a Ship without Propulsion or Lighting, drifting in at Sea in major Sea Lanes is scary .

chrishscorp

Visit site

The chief engineer coming out of the engine room with his clothes soaked from his neck down would indicate they lost motive power, the slow drift to the shore was the wind

Capt Popeye

Visit site
Must see the second of these programmes and see how they comment /report upon the Captains involvement , as the first prog left him having abandoned Ship in a lifeboat , being questioned by an official .

Capt Popeye

Visit site
The chief engineer coming out of the engine room with his clothes soaked from his neck down would indicate they lost motive power, the slow drift to the shore was the wind

Understand that the Ship was prevented from 'going ashore' by an underwater ledge of rocks , which kept the Ship a distance from the actual shore and shallow waters , plus assited in holeing the Ship in additional Water Tight Compartments

TNLI

Visit site
If anyone can think of a mistake the captain did not make, I would love to know what it was! Hitting the rocks whilst demostrating his navigational skills was bad enough, but failing to declare an emergency or sound the general alarm was almost as good as the captains premature departure for the safety of the shore.

Slowboat35

Visit site
Stetttino is maggot, pure and simple. A cowardly, unprofessional maggot.
I no longer wonder whether all those jokes about Italian tanks having 4 reverse gears were so silly after all.
Tonight's episode will be a good'un I expect.

penfold

Visit site
The cruise line's operations department should have faced as much if not more legal jeopardy as Schettino; they knew exactly the nonsense that was going on regularly and did nothing. That no shore staff faced gaol was appalling.

MapisM

Visit site
Stetttino is maggot, pure and simple. A cowardly, unprofessional maggot.
I no longer wonder whether all those jokes about Italian tanks having 4 reverse gears were so silly after all.
Talk about making a very sharp analysis in great detail. Not.

You surely know that Costa is a wholly owned subsidiary of Carnival, dontcha?
And that folks like Schettino are precisely what these corporations want to have in command of their floating circuses - i.e. frontmen good at public relations, first and foremost.
So, you might wish to look also at Southampton, if you really can't resist fingerpointing at further responsibilities behind a single men.
Who BTW is the only one who actually went to jail.

Besides, yes, Schettino is obviously a crook - as even the bureaucrats who hired him and used to be quite happy about his performance are now saying.
But suggesting that all Italians are crooks because of that is a bit of a stretch, to put it extremely politely.
By the same token, what do you think of a population who appointed a crook to run their whole Country, I wonder?

Slowboat35

Visit site
Sharp analysis indeed! By which token yours is as blunt as a bag of sand.
You've rambled on about all sorts of irrelevant and random things, somehow managing to bring politics into it - and even invented the notion that he is 'a crook.' I can see no evidence of 'crookery' whatsoever in Schettino. All mention of 'crookery' is entirely your invention...
I think you've got yourself more than a wee bit confused.

All I said was that he is an unprofessional and a shameful coward.

Any Captain who abandons his ship leaving pax to drown like that is a coward. Even his Maitre d' managed to do an infinitely more Professional job...
How can there be an argument about that?

Any accusations you wish to scatter elsewhere - be they on the Company, Southampton (?), bureaucrats in general, PR officers or even the President and population of Italy is up to you - some of it may even be valid, but none of that is actually relevant as a response to what I wrote.

Last edited:

MapisM

Visit site
All I said was that he is an unprofessional and a shameful coward.
Since you are now shifting the debate to semantic, you also said (twice) that he's a maggot.
Not that I care, mind: if you're objecting to my post because you didn't use the word "crook", I'm happy to leave to anyone else the judgement of how relevant that is.

Any accusations you wish to scatter elsewhere - be they on the Company, Southampton (?), bureaucrats in general, PR officers or even the President and population of Italy is up to you - some of it may even be valid, but none of that is actually relevant as a response to what I wrote.
Is up to me? Are you for real? Should I quote (again!) your own previous post?
Not that I would hold my breath on the result, anyway.
Considering that you neither understood why I mentioned Southampton, nor which population I was referring to, I'm now skeptic also on your capacity to understand what you wrote yourself.
Which is reassuring, coming to think of it.

Last edited:

Bajansailor

Visit site
I went on a 1 week Carnival cruise 15 years ago from here (Barbados). The cruise had started in San Juan, Puerto Rico on a Saturday, and it picked up a small percentage (about 10 - 15%) of punters in Barbados each week. We disembarked a week later at Barbados.
However as a result of this we were not subjected to an emergency drill for new joining passengers until the Sunday, the day after the majority of the punters had joined in San Juan. And we were disembarking a few days later.
Costa Concordia still had the same system re their emergency drill for new passengers - the ship had left port without doing a drill prior to leaving, and they were going to do it the next day I think. Trouble is, they clobbered those rocks and things went nasty very quickly - and the pax did not know where to go to re their lifeboat stations.
One good thing to come out of this is that it is now compulsory for all passenger emergency drills to be carried out before the vessel leaves port with a new complement of passengers.

Last edited: