Corvid-19 avoidance

Graham_Wright

www.mastaclimba.com
I can drive to my boat at Lydney without being in contact with anyone (save perhaps SWMBO).
I can board my boat without meeting anyone.
I can ask for the lock gates to be opened by 'phone.
I can then sail down channel completely isolated from the world.
But then what?
I can't enter port for a pint or a meal.
So its drop the hook and wait for the next day's tide.
Still fun.:)

Bob_Ashworth

Visit site
I can drive to my boat at Lydney without being in contact with anyone (save perhaps SWMBO).
I can board my boat without meeting anyone.
I can ask for the lock gates to be opened by 'phone.
I can then sail down channel completely isolated from the world.
But then what?
I can't enter port for a pint or a meal.
So its drop the hook and wait for the next day's tide.
Still fun.:)

Bob_Ashworth

Visit site
Hi Graham

We are right with you. However, we are sat at home thinking we have spent all winter cleaning,fixing and generally getting ready for the season and perhaps over to France. I came to the forum to guage the sentiment of others and I was pleased to see your post. But......(what follows is not personal, you just were the first to post)

I talked to a skipper of our local lifeboat. RNLI are answering calls as usual. CV not a big issue as they can throw you a rope and "socially distance" However, on a callout 4 are needed for crew but 10 may turn up. The 6 not required for crew are advised to go home rather than stay around the station to support. They are taking precautions against CV. I guess if your boat is well founded(tick) and you are experienced and well trained(tick) and you are totally confident and guarantee that the tides, sea state, weather are totally predictable for the period of your sail and you are not going to trip, fall or otherwise self-harm (er, hum...) then I guess all is well.

Looking at the bigger picture, the Severn Estuary coast is home to 2.3million people. 70% are predicted to be infected with CV over the period of modelling (about a year). Of the 70%, 5% are estimated to need hospital assistance. That is 81,000 people. Southmead hospital has 48 ICU beds. They are increasing capacity of beds (easy, it's just stuff), but trained staff are a bit harder to come by. Southmead has a capacity of 2,000 ICU patients per year. There are other hospitals in the area, but there are only about 4,000 ICU beds in the whole of England.

It's going to get worse over the next few weeks. We are tracking Italy apparently, but two weeks behind. May I please request that we dont go out on the water. It's one less potentential contact no matter how remote the possibility.

We are sat at home sorting the grandchildren's Lego into usable piles, reading books, watching films and wishing we were on our beautiful boat. We are looking out for our next door neighbours who are isolating with CV. My Son is a nurse and is self isolating (3 of 14 days) and he is needed at the hospital. If you dont know anyone who has it, you soon will. We look forward to seeing everyone back on the water sooner rather than later.

Please stay at home.

If you have been, thanks for reading this.

Bob Ashworth
Gibsea 96 Master Penarth Marina

Bob_Ashworth

Visit site
I would go tonight. Tomorrow may be a whole new ball game.
We thought of spending a week or so in Penarth, but are concerned that we might not be able to get back.
Caravan sites closed in Wales and big sentiment against non locals potentially making use of resources.

I promise to post some good news in the future.

Stay safe