Coronavirus: Delaying launch? New precautions?

Mud Lark

Visit site
On Monday night all busineses premises excluding those listed as essential were told to close, not asked but told to.
That's not true. Non-essential retail premises were told to close, not all businesses. For the rest of us the instruction is home working where possible, otherwise observe social distancing guidelines at the factory/building site/boatyard etc. And travelling to work is regarded as essential travel.

anoccasionalyachtsman

Visit site
My boat's on a farm nearby, and I could move it to outside my workshop, which while not actually at home, is only a walk away across fields (or a very short drive). I can convince myself, if not all of you, that this is perfectly ok.

But as V1701 pointed out in another thread - I'd look pretty flipping stupid in A&E if I needed attention after a silly mishap, as I have twice in the last four years.

Daydream believer

Visit site
My son works for a subcontractor on a B..k..y site in London. The management appear totally finance & bonus driven. They refuse to shut the site down & say that if the subcontractor walks off site they will sue for delay amounting to in excess of £100k per month . My son says that most tasks involves several operatives working VERY close together. B..k.y have removed all welfare items, workers must eat outside rain or not. Limited WCs & no staff to prevent several operatives enering the spaces together. Promised sanitiser stations missing. My son cannot just walk off as it means no pay & must travel on a crowded tube train. His company keep complaining to B..k..y that it is dangerous to continue working, but their management just keep shouting abuse etc at them & blame them for not sorting out a better working practice.
Lots of the subbies staff have walked off( trying to get home whilst they can) & B..k..y are complaining about lack of labour & slow progress.
I just wish Boris would shut down all building sites. Housing is NOT important & even if they did get built no one will move in or get a mortgage just yet anyway.
The other day the BBC interviewed a site manager for another company who said he had organised his blokes to work away from each other. Yet as he spoke 3 blokes were within 3 feet of each other behind him. 2 more to one side were next to each other & 2 more to his other side passed in close proximity. The interview was a total joke & the reporter was a twat for not pointing it out there & then.
Building sites CANNOT operate a risk free environment & are being allowed to continue for economic reasons only. Is that right?

Last edited:

steveeasy

Visit site
Are you in the U.K.? That is not the instructions here. Only shops, pubs etc are required to close. Other businesses are encouraged to continue operating with staff home working if possible. My business has only two people on the ground floor and 1 on the first and they are not to mix. Everyone else is working from home.

Actually it is. All business premises should close excluding those that were listed as essential. A full list of those types listed as essential is on the GOV. website. The busineses that have had to close is vast and wide rangeing not just pubs and shops. all types of clubs, caravan parks. recreation centres. sports centres, gyms, any type of business where customers can congregate. the only exceptions are those that are essential services. You don't say what your business is, but it will not be a retail business or service type or it would be closed. online sales can continue.

Steveeasy

anoccasionalyachtsman

Visit site
My son works for a subcontractor on a Berkley site in London. The management are totally finance & bonus driven. They refuse to shut the site down & say that if the subcontractor walks off site they will sue for delay amounting to in excess of £100k per week . My son says that most tasks invoves several operatives working VERY close together. Berkley have removed all welfare items, workers must eat outside rain or not. Limited WCs & no staff to prevent several operatives enering the spaces together. Promised sanitiser stations missing. My son cannot just walk off as it means no pay & must travel on a crowded tube train. His company keep complaining to Berkley that it is dangerous to continue working, but their management just keep shouting abuse etc at them & blame them for not sorting out a better working practice.
Lots of the subbies staff have walked off( trying to get home whilst they can) & Berkley are complaining about lack of labour & slow progress.
I just wish Boris would shut down all building sites. Housing is NOT important & even if they did get built no one will move in or get a mortgage just yet anyway.
The other day the BBC interviewed a site manager who said he had organised his blokes to work away from each other. Yet as he spoke 3 blokes were within 3 feet of each other behind him. 2 more to one side were next to each other & 2 more to his other side passed in close proximity. The interview was a total joke & the reporter was a twat for not pointing it out there & then.
Building sites CANNOT operate a risk free environment & are being allowed to continue for economic reasons only. Is that right?
Berkeley Homes? Unethical? Shome mistake shurely?

• Haha
Reactions: dom

steveeasy

Visit site
That's not true. Non-essential retail premises were told to close, not all businesses. For the rest of us the instruction is home working where possible, otherwise observe social distancing guidelines at the factory/building site/boatyard etc. And travelling to work is regarded as essential travel.
Hi Mud Lark,
I stand corrected, sort off, All retail business premises were told to close excluding a number of essential retail busineses together with a very very wide and diverse range of other business. So it did not include a wide range of other businesses, such as manufacturing, office, courier, and lots of other types of business where typically customers do not attend. what do you think marinas come under then? bit strange 99% have closed down if they never had to. I did wonder though why there were so many grey areas. I misunderstood it. depends what sector you operate in.
Steveeasy

dom

Visit site
Hi Mud Lark,
I stand corrected, sort off, All retail business premises were told to close excluding a number of essential retail busineses together with a very very wide and diverse range of other business. So it did not include a wide range of other businesses, such as manufacturing, office, courier, and lots of other types of business where typically customers do not attend. what do you think marinas come under then? bit strange 99% have closed down if they never had to. I did wonder though why there were so many grey areas. I misunderstood it. depends what sector you operate in.
Steveeasy

You raise some very good points here Steve. For example, the CEO (or their designate) of financial firms have pretty much been given the authority to designate key workers within their firms and the guidelines are intentionally vague. The Government - through no fault of its own - has not even begun to disentangle the ensuing moral, administrative, and legal maze.

But at the end of the day this is a national emergency and everybody should do their best to stand up, be counted, and support the common good.

This includes collectively supporting the front line workers, which any of us on here may soon have to ask to risk their lives to save ours.

This is no the time for dicking around.

DJE

www.casl.uk.com
This is no the time for dicking around.
Tell that the the big property developers and construction companies!
On one project that I know of they seem to think that closing the canteen and opening the gates 30 minutes early is enough to protect the 1400 workers who have to pass through their security turnstiles and changing rooms twice a day.

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
My business is open - railways are still running. However we are instructed to work from home if pos and my living room is now full of giant company computers and screens and I urgently ordered printer supplies for my semi domestic printer.

I have an IT issue connected to the old " office" and IT support are driving over on their own and I will let them in - standback - and lock up after them. I carry my essential worker authorisation letter with me as I mosey on down.

We debated its necessity before agreeing this course of action and how to manage it. (what if he had crash on the way - can we distance correctly- can I wipe door handles-how much gain would it give us etc)

I would love to get my head clear of the muddle of relocation plus the normal bureaucracy and complexity of my job by working on boat later. I should not and I wont.

Instead the Navigator needs help in the allotment - excercise plus obtaining food supplies

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
I get the impression the UK isn't taking the "lockdown" concept seriously..

Certainly some on here are not! Going to your boat is NOT essential travel, nor is sailing it!

The Kiwi's as a nation are acting responsibly at the moment. Really quiet, little traffic, walkers keeping the recommended 2 metre 'social distancing'.

On a 7PM TV Magazine programme tonight it was stated by the head of the St. John Ambulance service, one of the majors, that front line ambulance staff had had the protective gear stolen from their vehicles while dealing with non CV related calls.

Barstewards!

Looking at what is happening elsewhere in the world, perhaps First Mate and I are in the best place here in Wellington.

dom

Visit site
Tell that the the big property developers and construction companies!
On one project that I know of they seem to think that closing the canteen and opening the gates 30 minutes early is enough to protect the 1400 workers who have to pass through their security turnstiles and changing rooms twice a day.

You're right, and their response would no doubt be linguistically colourful !

I don't know what it is about the construction sector, but it seems many of these firms are decades behind the curve, back where the oil, chemical, tobacco, and mining sectors were in the 1970s/80s.

It's fast approaching the time that the Government will start to lose credibility if it is seen as powerless to tame their worst excesses.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Actually it is. All business premises should close excluding those that were listed as essential. A full list of those types listed as essential is on the GOV. website. The busineses that have had to close is vast and wide rangeing not just pubs and shops. all types of clubs, caravan parks. recreation centres. sports centres, gyms, any type of business where customers can congregate. the only exceptions are those that are essential services. You don't say what your business is, but it will not be a retail business or service type or it would be closed. online sales can continue.

Without disagreeing in the least, your accurate summary of the advice shows that it is isn't clear. On one hand, all business premises should close. On the other mail order companies, who have business premises, should stay open. If they said "All business premises open to members of the public", which seems to be the intention, it would be much clearer.

dom

Visit site
Without disagreeing in the least, your accurate summary of the advice shows that it is isn't clear. On one hand, all business premises should close. On the other mail order companies, who have business premises, should stay open. If they said "All business premises open to members of the public", which seems to be the intention, it would be much clearer.

It would be clearer, but I'm not sure helpfully so. Take the construction site DJE refers to in post #90 above. This site is not open to the public, but has c.1400 workers operating in at least occasional proximity to each other and they are forced to pass/brush through turnstiles infected employees will surely have touched (a black and white rule contravention). At the end of the day these same workers jam onto a crowded tube system running at half capacity and on it goes....

It is all very well Boris doing his evening chat, but if the Govt cannot bang to rights these most blatant contraventions, then a free-for-all will inevitably ensue?

JumbleDuck

Visit site
It would be clearer, but I'm not sure helpfully so. Take the construction site DJE refers to in post #90 above.

Good point. They need to make a lot clearer who they want to stay open (and support them to do so), who they need to close (and force them to do so) and where discretion can be applied (close retail but retain mail order, contractors working singly but not in groups, etc).

I've just collected my car from the local garage which was advised on Monday to close on Tuesday, advised on Tuesday that they could open again on Wednesday (and so did my clutch[1]), advised on Wednesday they can partially open (no customer access) today and advised today to close tomorrow.

But then, Dumfries and Galloway Council emailed me to ask if I wanted to subscribe to their COVID-19 updats and when I followed the link to do so got a list of topics to which I could subscribe ... with no mention of COVID-19.

[1] I explicitly asked them, and they agreed, only to do it if they had no work mending more important people's cars.

[163233]

Visit site
Looking at what is happening elsewhere in the world, perhaps First Mate and I are in the best place here in Wellington.
Certainly than here in Spain, despite a lockdown tighter than a gnat's chuff, we're looking good for the number one spot but the Americans impressive fearlessness appears to have ensured them that honour.