Coronavirus: Delaying launch? New precautions?

Debenair

Visit site
My boat has to launch on Thursday to allow the Council to have their car park back for Easter. I have been 275 miles from home at the bedside of a dying relly for the last two weeks, but have organised a local boatman to do the biz on antifouling and launching if the council are sticking to their timetable. Whether it will be wise to travel home between now and the funeral (whenever that may be for the four of us entitled to attend the Crem) is another matter. My boats mooring is within walking distance at home so pushing the envelope I could probably justify to myself extending a walk to the waterside to include a sail, but it seems to me that would be morally dubious.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
And what extreme view is that ? That to save this virus infecting may more hundreads and thousand people and killing god know how many people should stop being selfish and do what being ask of them .
You are choosing to interpret "what is being asked of them" in a particularly extreme way. Solo outdoor activities, anywhere, carry no significant risk whatsoever, but you want them curtailed. I have no doubt that being cooped up on a small boat in a Sardinian Marina isn't much fun, and you have my sympathies, but if we all follow the spirit of the rules rather than the letter this business will be over a lot faster.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
As this post deteriorates I feel inclined to push it further. What do Daily Mail Readers, Brexit supporters and "It's my right to sail my boat"ers have in common?

If you don't know, you probably fall into one of those categories!
I've not seen anyone say "It's my right to sail my boat". I have seen a few people say that they are in a position to sail a boat without significant travel and without involving other people, and it seems reasonable to ask whether that falls within the intent (certainly) and the letter (maybe) of the current restrictions.

My crew's dinghy is ready and waiting. We're not going to use it, though, because it's at a center with resident staff. The journey to get there wouldn't bother me - it's about the same as to the local shop.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
You are choosing to interpret "what is being asked of them" in a particularly extreme way. Solo outdoor activities, anywhere, carry no significant risk whatsoever, but you want them curtailed. I have no doubt that being cooped up on a small boat in a Sardinian Marina isn't much fun, and you have my sympathies, but if we all follow the spirit of the rules rather than the letter this business will be over a lot faster.
JD I don't wish to argue with you Emotion are running especially high these early days back in the UK.
You very wrong if you think I want to see any one under some kind of curtailed or There jealousy on my part because of my own circumstances being lockdown for two weeks now.
You mentioned fear, I be lying if I said there wasn't any fear , fear if of my family and friends catches it, fear of us catching it, fear on how long this will go on for ,
Fear of still being in the same position this time next year.
If you haven't any fear you a better man then I am.

UK-WOOZY

Visit site
our yacht club checks the moorings yearly. that has been postponed until all this is over (if it ever ends) as most of the guys are in their 70s so they are at risk from us younger members. so boat launching has been put on hold until moorings are checked. its a voluntary service we all do as yacht owners. the club itselfs has advised people to stay away anyway. i will still be going to my boat on the hard as longs as im able to. the club is gated from the road so i feel safe on my boat. stick music on, have a coffee, read my phone or do things on the boat in peace

matt1

Visit site
Well, I have been looking fwd to my boat coming out the water and lots of fettling over Easter (especially with the nice weather) but am very much expecting the Marina to cancel the lift. Apart from anything because she is on a pile mooring and I therefore couldn't get her to the lift dock. As I previously said, I went down to her Sunday to make sure she was secure anticipating the lockdown. Now, I didn't come within 2 metres of anyone, launched my paddle board from the beach to go out to her so didn't even have to touch a marina pin pad to get access - but I've come to the conclusions like others on here that finding ways round things or interpreting things literally probably isn't what I want to be doing at a time like this. So I have mentally prepared myself that the boat won't be lifted and likely not used for probably the best part of the summer. Tremendously sad as I only got her last year but hey, it's a very first world problem

sailaboutvic

Visit site
If it's any consolation Matt and I guess it won't be , we know of people who just finish buying their boat to spend a couple of years living on board and haven't been able to see it since they sign the contract what worst they rented out there house so there are also homeless and living with friends now , to top it up they just heard that if it goes on for longer then a few weeks the tenant won't be able to keep to their rent repayment.

We also have two boats in the marina who also brought there boats at the end of last year hoping to start a new life on board and now the only thing they got to look forward to is being stuck in a confined boat not being able to move and have no idea how long for or even if they will get to move this year .

Praxinoscope

Visit site
Debonair, our boats are ashore and on the council car park the same as yours, but, the council have closed all their offices (including harbourmasters) until further notice. They have also closed the pay as you park machines.
Launching 60+ boats in one day requires a lot of organisation and all the owners to work together to achieve this, as the harbourmaster who usually coordinates the lift - in will not be allowed to work, many of the owners are in the at risk category
I just don't see our lift-in going ahead, the council will just ave to live with boats on their car park until free movement is back again, this shouldn't affect them too much as with essential travel only who is going to be using the car park apart from the boats?
No doubt the council will find a way of extorting money from the boat owners to recoup losses on car oral income as well as charging us for our moorings as well.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
JD I don't wish to argue with you Emotion are running especially high these early days back in the UK. ... If you haven't any fear you a better man then I am.
I appreciate that you are living under very different circumstances in a country with a very different experience (perhaps only so far) of the virus, so yes, let's try to avoid getting too personal. My apologies for any straying over the line I have done.

Am I afraid? A bit, yes, because anyone who isn't a bit afraid doesn't really understand what's happening. On the other hand, there is an amazing amount of scaremongering out there, as the media try to outdo each other with ever more calamitous predictions of doom. So I think it's important to keep a sense of proportion and look for underlying reasons and facts.

Good luck.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Went to the boat today ( on the hard) to disconnect power, check she is OK to be left unattended etc. so that I can leave her for the next few months.
I was surprised at the number of people working. Not just staff in close proximity , but owners - at least 15 cars- some standing chatting to others at close quarters.
A boat was being launched. I note some were getting ready to launch & the marina owner tells me the other day that a few owners are waiting to go in & expect to go sailing. He can do little to stop them sailing, but does not have to launch them.
I watched a chap with a launch push a barrow up the ramp & leave it at the top then walk back down running his hand down the handrail all the way.
I note a forumite on this thread saying he intends to go sailing. Does he intend to plug & unplug shore power, top up water, walk down the ramp without holding the handrail that the fisherman holds ??
A friend of mine discussed bringing his boat round to our moorings so he could go sailing & just anchor. Seems Ok but I asked him what would happen if his boat went adrift. I am not going to launch a club RIB to go & get it & I doubt anyone else will. ( his boat went walkabout last year) Several boats in the area do go adrift & we do not know what the weather will do this year.
What happens if one suffers a breakdown at sea. Do they expect to be rescued- by whom?
To be honest it is somewhat "selfish" to just consider oneself. I kind of agree with the "wake up" comment above

Last edited:

JumbleDuck

Visit site
To be honest it is somewhat "selfish" to just consider oneself. I kind of agree with the "wake up" comment above
I think myself that the circumstances in which it would be socially responsible to go sailing are fairly limited, but not non-existent. If you can get to your boat without meeting others and come back to where you started then it doesn't seem any worse than going for a lonely bike ride. I don't think using marinas or public facilities of any sort is sensible - as you and other have said, people are still working at them.

dom

Visit site
As this post deteriorates I feel inclined to push it further. What do Daily Mail Readers, Brexit supporters and "It's my right to sail my boat"ers have in common?

If you don't know, you probably fall into one of those categories!

Not sure where the Daily Mail comes into this! Aside from that, the UK police operate with the implicit consent of the public, ‘hence policing by consent’. The police are viewed as one of us aside from the consensual powers vested in them to maximise the common good, quite different to the histories of those in Spain, Italy, etc.

In which light, it seems perfectly proper to engage in such discussions given that neither the police nor Government are clear as to the necessary limits on personal freedom.

I’m not British but think it’s a great system. And I’d far rather live here than Wuhan!

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
I’m amazed by those posting on here that simply don’t seem to get what’s going on. For crying out loud, how hard is it to understand the instruction to stay at home? Yes, go out for your exercise. Without needing to consult a lawyer, I’d take that to mean some brisk movement in the local area not traipsing down to the marina or dingy park. I’m amazed and saddened that there are still functioning boat yards out there: they’ve been told to stop working and aren’t on the list of exempt businesses.
All that’ll happen if we don’t abide by both the letter and spirit of the regulations is that the government will impose yet more draconian restrictions. Look what happened when folks didn’t bother to stick to the requested behaviour over the weekend.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I’m amazed and saddened that there are still functioning boat yards out there: they’ve been told to stop working and aren’t on the list of exempt businesses.
There is a list of exempt shops, but I haven't seen a list of exempt businesses in general. Can you provide a link? We have all been asked/told to work at home if we possibly can, but if we can't I think we are still allowed to work.

matt1

Visit site
There is a list of exempt shops, but I haven't seen a list of exempt businesses in general. Can you provide a link? We have all been asked/told to work at home if we possibly can, but if we can't I think we are still allowed to work.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/874732/230320_-_Revised_guidance_note_-_finalVF.pdf

FWIW we have plenty of people who can't work from home and took the decision to close, on the basis that although that may be in compliance with the guidelines it wasn't in the spirit of them given we aren't listed as an essential service (small domestic appliance industry).

Praxinoscope

Visit site
All our boats are on the South Beach Car Park in Aberaeron so not a boatyard, or a closed area it's public space which opens straight on to the beach so is used by those simply going for a walk on the beach, dog walking etc.
It is still possible to access ones boat and work on it in isolation, which I was doing until Monday afternoon, I have now removed all the tools from the back of my car and put then back in the garage as I fully accept even wandering the mile down the hill to the boat does not really meet the criteria of an essential journey.
As I have to pass the South Beach on the way to our nearest shops, I will take the 200yd detour down to the car park on my way to the shops, just to check on her , but accept that working on her is now out of order until the restrictions are lifted.
Our lift -in is scheduled for week after Easter but I very much doubt this will go ahead.
A few owners are talking about launching on their own account, but if the travel restrictions remain in force I don't see how as they would still have to travel to and from the harbour.

dom

Visit site
All that’ll happen if we don’t abide by both the letter and spirit of the regulations is that the government will impose yet more draconian restrictions. Look what happened when folks didn’t bother to stick to the requested behaviour over the weekend.

Entirely agree we should all comply, for the NHS is already doing a heroic job and it's barely started. And yet I sense that the post-last-w/e lunacy provided a firm foundation and for the new restrictions Boris announced yesterday. A foundation which may make the ensuing compliance much stronger than it would have been?

Italy for example decreed an absolute lockdown in Lombardy. It was widely ignored for some time, in part because the army didn't wish to be cast as 'oppressors, a concern shared by the UK military.

After a chaotic week, I personally feel that the UK has maneuvered itself into a pretty good position supported by a broad social buy-in. Why, agreement is even breaking out in this normally recalcitrant neck of the woods :)

Last edited: