Coronavirus: Delaying launch? New precautions?

Simononsolway

Visit site
According to the Government website it is acceptable to engage in "one form of exercise a day, for example a run, walk, or cycle - alone or with members of your household." It occurs to me that single handed sailing has to be pretty much the ultimate self-isolation sport. My boat is on a swinging mooring about ten minutes drive from my house. Given that the chance of me either getting infected or infecting anyone else is negligible, and the Government have said that engaging in exercise is ok. I personally cannot see a problem in going for a sail. It seems far less risky than a trip to the supermarket.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
According to the Government website it is acceptable to engage in "one form of exercise a day, for example a run, walk, or cycle - alone or with members of your household." It occurs to me that single handed sailing has to be pretty much the ultimate self-isolation sport. My boat is on a swinging mooring about ten minutes drive from my house. Given that the chance of me either getting infected or infecting anyone else is negligible, and the Government have said that engaging in exercise is ok. I personally cannot see a problem in going for a sail. It seems far less risky than a trip to the supermarket.
Time to wake up.

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
The boatyard where boat is currently stored has ceased boat lifting operations except for emergency lifts.

Their email mentioned that they hadn't yet made a decision about future storage charges but as a paid up berth holder in another marina belonging to the same group I would be less than impressed if they continued to levy charges beyond the original lift in date the week before Easter.

We haven't yet heard whether the lift in scheduled for the same week for SWMBO's boat (and the rest of her club's cruisers) is going ahead or not. I assume it will be cancelled.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Absolutely. Solo cyclists are (still) coming past my house at regular intervals, and that's much the same thing. Much less risk of transmission than, say, hanging out in a marina somewhere.

Barnacle Bill

www.aztecsailing.co.uk
According to the Government website it is acceptable to engage in "one form of exercise a day, for example a run, walk, or cycle - alone or with members of your household." It occurs to me that single handed sailing has to be pretty much the ultimate self-isolation sport. I personally cannot see a problem in going for a sail. It seems far less risky than a trip to the supermarket.
Completely agree.

Although Boris didn't mention that it's OK to go out on your yacht, he may have had other reasons for not including that on the list.

Rappey

Visit site
There is a government list of the 4 reasons you are allowed out and exercise is only allowed extremely local so unless your boat is in imminate danger I would think going sailing unfortunately is not a valid reason for being outside

Babylon

Visit site
Rather than throwing insults, perhaps you could address his points.

To be fair, Vic wasn't throwing insults - I think if you consider his location, situation and perspective...

Absolutely. Solo cyclists are (still) coming past my house at regular intervals, and that's much the same thing. Much less risk of transmission than, say, hanging out in a marina somewhere.

I'm sure cycling counts as exercise as much as walking... which I will do alone with my dog shortly on the (always completely empty) Downland footpaths above the village.

But the point isn't to do with any individual assessment of how little risk their own hobby activity carries in some sparsely-populated place. Since 8.30pm last night it has become far less nuanced: EVERYONE can do ONLY as permitted.

dom

Visit site
I visited one of the big South Coast marinas yesterday (in case a complete lockdown was enacted last night).

A common concern amongst the workmen there is the number of people wandering around the yards with mates and the owners who came down last w/e to have a couple of beers, sort out their boats, a chat with marina mates, etc. Their fear is that should the overstretched local police force receive a complaint from for example local households, they will probably ask for the marina to shut, a request the owners would not dare challenge.

This would at a stroke remove the livelihoods at a busy time of year of many of the professional men and women working hard to maintain our boats, some of whom may not be covered/fully-covered by the various UK Govt support schemes. In which circumstances they would very much appreciate if owners and their friends only visited the marinas and especially the yards if absolutely necessary. And if they do, to FULLY comply with all Govt requests.

Their livelihoods rely upon mutual cooperation, teamwork, and respect.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Rather than throwing insults, perhaps you could address his points.
I wasn't throwing insults at all , surly it's clear by now and if not it's is time people woke up .
It's not advise any more people are told not to make any non essential travel.
What ever way you look at it going for a sail is an non essential .
Is your more likely to catch a virus going to the supermarket then going out on the boat isn't the here or there.
Do we only obey the law when it suits us ?

Rappey

Visit site
So many on here suggesting it would be OK to go to their boat as they would not be in contact with others, or going for a cycle ride that is not in the immediate location of their house.
Seems like non essential travel is not understood.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
If it wasn't so serious it be funny , the same people who over the years would crucified other if they posted anything that even sounded in the slightly breaking the law are now hang on to ever word our government put out to find any excuse to make it sound it doesn't apply to them.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
But the point isn't to do with any individual assessment of how little risk their own hobby activity carries in some sparsely-populated place. Since 8.30pm last night it has become far less nuanced: EVERYONE can do ONLY as permitted.
I notice that dog-walking is not on the list. Nevertheless, I think that going for a solo sail could certainly count as taking exercise. Driving to the boat might be more problematic, but at a pragmatic level if you are unlikely to meet anyone else on the way your are unlikely to attract the attention of authority.
I wasn't throwing insults at all , surly it's clear by now and if not it's is time people woke up .
You assume that anyone who does not share your rather extreme views is asleep. That's insulting.
Do we only obey the law when it suits us ?
Yes, by and large. That's human nature. Boris has made a good call there - people here are far more likely to heed a call to civic responsibility than legal compulsion. As you are discovering, it may be rather different in countries where the police are armed and there is a history of authoritarian government. What works in Sicily may not work in Cowes, and vice versa.
So many on here suggesting it would be OK to go to their boat as they would not be in contact with others, or going for a cycle ride that is not in the immediate location of their house.
From a biological point of view, both are fine.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
If it wasn't so serious it be funny , the same people who over the years would crucified other if they posted anything that even sounded in the slightly breaking the law are now hang on to ever word our government put out to find any excuse to make it sound it doesn't apply to them.
Likewise it is fascinating to see people who normally espouse and promote a free-wheeling sea gypsy lifestyle suddenly become rabid authoritarians from, it seems, a mixture of fear and jealousy.

Rappey

Visit site
Gosport boatyards ferry service still ferrying people.
Group of more than 2 fishermen having a good chat whilst ignoring the 2 meter rule.
Lots of cyclists going by.
Seems pointless being indoors while so many are ignoring "non essential travel" and similar.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
(You assume that anyone who does not share your rather extreme views is asleep. That's insulting.)

And what extreme view is that ? That to save this virus infecting may more hundreads and thousand people and killing god know how many people should stop being selfish and do what being ask of them .