Coronavirus: Delaying launch? New precautions?

dom

Visit site
I'm wondering how many boat owners are - like me - choosing to postpone their launch until we see how the wind blows on this potential UK lockdown? The inertia seems to be in that direction right now.

And for those going ahead, are you taking any special measures to ensure the vessel's safety under circumstances where it may have to be left unattended for an unanticipated length of time?

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
I’ve got two boats, one in UK, one in Greece. Both launches are delayed indefinitely. UK launch initially delayed because I injured my arm but now on hold until the situation stabilises. Greece closed the borders last week, the yard is shut down, so that decision was taken for me.
Our gig club, usually my go to activity during the winter and spring, has been shut for the past week on the advice of the Cornish Pilot Gig Association.

chubby

www.flickr.com
I am ready and the yard is keen to continue launching and due to go in this week, the boat is on a swinging mooring and likely as safe in as out, might not hoist the genoa so it cant unfurl, that is the main issue with unattended boats and put and extra line or to from buoy to boat and trust the yard to keep an eye on it if I cant.
Unless a total lockdown, and that seems more likely after the weekend, it was going to be my escape valve even if just to sit on the boat as I can visit the yard with no social interaction let alone 2 metres.

It is an issue for others: daughter has a horse on a relatively isolated farm, one mile up a track from the road: will visits to check the horse be allowed, she could ride on the farm with again no social interaction but like me with the boat, could leave it to the farm assuming they are well.

sad times

steveeasy

Visit site
was going to launch later this month, but as sailing events have been cancelled and concerns over how things are going to develop, I think id rather just do my bit and restrict all none essential trips to a minimum. Frustrating though, but it seams if we all isolate as much as possible now, it might make the eventual outcome better. I feel for those that have no choice but to continue to work in large groups though. if we could just shut down now it would massively reduce the impact.

Steveeasy

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I'm wondering how many boat owners are - like me - choosing to postpone their launch until we see how the wind blows on this potential UK lockdown? The inertia seems to be in that direction right now.

I'm postponing indefinitely, which just means "till I don't know when". For work reasons I can really only go sailing in July, so if that is impossible or even a bit truncated I'll just leave it this year. I went to the boat at the weekend to check that she's OK, bring some work home and retrieve the food on board, which was enough for two people for three weeks.

As an alternative I'm refurbishing my Hunter 490, which was for sale and will be again but which this year should provide nice sailing and occasional overnights on Loch Ken (freshwater) with a minimum of travel.

From conversations at Largs and Port Bannatyne on Saturday, it sounds as if most people are either going for launch as soon as possible or postponing till things clear up.

MoodySabre

Visit site
My boat is in the water. Going over today to check lines etc. as lockdown is imminent IMO. Going sailing for a few hours single-handed would seem to be harmless but they might just stop us travelling. Marina fee due next month - expensive if you get no usage.

Stemar

Visit site
I had an email over the weekend to say that the lift in has been postponed indefinitely. I have a few little things I need to do to ensure she's fit to be left unattended for a few months, and * think I'm going to bring the dinghy and outboard home, so I'm going this afternoon. I park 10m from the boat and have no need to be close to anyone else, so risks are minimal - far less than going to the pharmacy to pick prescriptions the other day.

Praxinoscope

Visit site
I feel reasonably lucky, in that my boat is only a mile away and that our nearest shops are there as well so I can combine getting our food essentials and pharmacies with working on the boat.
It's a bit like self isolation working on the boat, there may be one or two other owners around, but we are all well over the recommended 2m away from each other and in the fresh air as well.
No definite info on our launch, but as many of us are in the at risk category, the council has closed all its offices including the harbourmasters, I just don't see us launching this year.

oldharry

Visit site
A Boris Bulletin last night clarified that it is NOT essential travel for us to go to second homes, caravans, and campsites or similar (my italics), whether for holidays or isolation purposes. I think we can take it that travelling to the boat comes under the 'or similar' when it becomes compulsory under 'further action by the government'

The reason given is to avoid overloading local services. Both the Camping and Caravan Clubs closed all their sites last night in support of this move.

westhinder

Visit site
Launch has been delayed indefinitely. All non-essential travel is prohibited, so I can’t go to the boat to finish the work anyway and the club has stopped all crane operations.
We’ll see what happens.

Babylon

Visit site
Was going to launch next week based on previous advice, but now reconciled to the inevitable lockdown or similar restrictions so leaving her ashore for the duration. Got heaps of house and garden jobs, and will continue building the 8' clinker ply tender but at leisure without the 'start of season' deadline!

PhillM

Visit site
My boat is still in the water. Lift postponed as I don’t want her on the hard in the summer, in case she dries out and opens up. I guess like everybody else I shall just have to bide my time and when this is all over, you can laugh at me starting work, as you go back in and start sailing.

Sharky34

Visit site
My boat is in the water. Going over today to check lines etc. as lockdown is imminent IMO. Going sailing for a few hours single-handed would seem to be harmless but they might just stop us travelling. Marina fee due next month - expensive if you get no usage.
Not unless it counts as exercise you won't.