Coronavirus and Greece

wwalsh

Visit site
In case someone does not agree they can put lawyer.

The coastguard on 02/04/20 decided to ban swimming etc.

--

Απαγόρευση λήψης θαλάσσιου λουτρού (κολύμπι), χρήσης ιδιωτικών θαλασσίων μέσων αναψυχής και υποβρύχιας αλιείας. | Hellenic Coast Guard

Prohibition of taking a sea bath (swimming), use of private marine means of recreation and submarine fishing.

In the context of tackling the serious public health risk posed by reducing the risk of COVID-19 coronal dispersal, it is known that activities such as taking a sea bath (swimming), using private marine means of recreation and underwater fishing, do not fall under first of the Joint Ministerial Decision (K.Y.A.) with number Δ1α / Γ.Π οικ 20036 / 22-3-2020 (Β΄986) and are therefore prohibited.

----

The private marine means of recreation believed to be SUP, Kayak, Jet ski etc but it is not specifically defined here.

----

An application for annulment was filed by lawyer Vassilis Sotiropoulos before the Council of State, requesting the annulment of the decision of the Coast Guard and the relevant Port Authority to ban travel for a sea swim.
The request was submitted on behalf of a resident of an Aegean island, who was forced to stop swimming daily, due to the relevant order of the Coast Guard. The citizen lives at a distance of 20 meters from the beach.

.In this case, the ban on the right to bathe has been imposed without even prior opinion of the state body responsible for public health. The ban was also imposed in the context of the authorization of the Act of Legislative Content, which appointed only the Ministers of Civil Protection, Health and Interior, and not the Minister of Shipping and Island Policy, to which the Port Authorities are also subject, to impose restrictions. anticipation of the relevant exceptions to permitted movement. The legal action also concerns the violation of Constitutional right.
"Είναι παράνομη η απαγόρευση του μπάνιου στη θάλασσα" (VIDEO) - notia.gr

Last edited:

Tony Cross

Visit site
The legal action also concerns the violation of Constitutional right.
It's pretty obvious that the reasoning behind this is Easter and the warming weather. It's not the swimming or water sports that are the problem, it's the inevitable congregations on the beaches and elsewhere afterwards that the government is keen to avoid - and rightly so. Greece has a similar small group of 'my constitutional rights' idiots as many other countries and they are a danger to us all. Greece is also fortunate in having reacted very quickly with the shutdown - and it looks to be working too. If you look at Greece's numbers here you'll see that the rate of reported infections is beginning to plateau and the death rate is still very low and linear. Now is not the time to be talking about constitutional rights, now is the time to be looking out for ourselves and each other.

Tony Cross

Visit site
The 70m motor cruiser 'Nomad' has been anchored in one of the bays near here for a few days whilst some strong southerlies go through. It was apparently being moved from Lavrion to Port Said. No, I don't know how they got permission to move her either. The local newspaper is saying that they requested permission to come into the port of Agios Nikolaos and were refused by the coastguard. The 17 member crew have spent a bumpy and probably worrisome couple of nights at anchor...

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I think he mentioned €5000 fine for every crew member on entry?
I think it was €500 Bob , but I read some thing in Greek that they where letting the 13 or so new boat arrive. Each having three crew on board ,
If that's the case it's sending out a mix message, on one hand they tell people not to go out unless they have too ,
On the other hand they letting these boat arrive from out side Greece with probably as many as 40 crew with no idea who they been in contract with admitted that they could have been at sea for some time but on the other hand they may been ashore .
Hopefully at the very less they will have to go into quarantine .
Not sure why it's that important they these boats have to be moved at this time .

Well that my option for what it's worth .

Davy_S

Visit site
The Greek state had collected a total of 4.25 million euros by April 3 in fines issued nationwide for violations of measures restricting the movement of citizens and the activities of many businesses to stem the spread of the new coronavirus.
According to data released by the Hellenic Police (ELAS), since the ban on non-essential movement was introduced on March 23, inspections yielded 17,358 violations, each of which resulted in a fine of 150 euros, bringing in a total of 2.6 million euros.

Most of these violations were recorded in the region of Attica, followed by the northern port city of Thessaloniki, the islands of the Ionian and Western Greece.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
The Greek state had collected a total of 4.25 million euros by April 3 in fines issued nationwide for violations of measures restricting the movement of citizens and the activities of many businesses to stem the spread of the new coronavirus.
According to data released by the Hellenic Police (ELAS), since the ban on non-essential movement was introduced on March 23, inspections yielded 17,358 violations, each of which resulted in a fine of 150 euros, bringing in a total of 2.6 million euros.

Most of these violations were recorded in the region of Attica, followed by the northern port city of Thessaloniki, the islands of the Ionian and Western Greece.
My god ... I bet there in no hurry to lift restrictions at that rate .

Tony Cross

Visit site

In the report on this that I read they also said that a significant proportion of these fines would be going to the health service.

Greece imposes fines worth €4,253,700 for lockdown violations - Keep Talking Greece

Last edited:

wwalsh

Visit site
The fine for non-essential movement is 150 euro. the fine for illegal entry to the territory / breaking quarantine is 5000 euro.

Regarding the young Greek man who arrived from UK 12/03 and then on 17/03 proceeded on the ferry to Ikaria breaking his quarantine and thereafter had symptoms of COVID-19. Some lawyers have initiated legal action to make him pay for his special military airlift from Ikaria to Athens.
Κορωνoϊός- Ικαρία: Ποιοι ζητούν να πληρώσει την αεροδιακομιδή ο 25χρονος
Κορωνοϊος- Ικαρία: Αναζητούν όσους ήταν στο πλοίο που ταξίδεψε ο γιος του επιχειρηματία

Mykonos and Santorini have curfew evening until morning
Mykonos, Santorini under stricter quarantine | Kathimerini

It will not be possible to pass the road tolls around easter without proof by copies of tax return forms that the occupants of the vehicle are proceeding to their registered residence and not their secondary summer residence. The tax authority has prohibited change of registered residence because some people were trying to get around this by changing their primary residence to their summer house.

Tony Cross

Visit site
Whilst out for my (authorised) exercise walk just now I saw a family being fined. Mother, father and a toddler. What attracted my attention was the father loudly arguing with the police motorcyclist who'd stopped them. The policeman gave him a paper, which I assume was notification of the €150 fine, and the father angrily screwed the paper up into a ball. He didn't throw it away though, you get fined for littering here too!

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I was following the posting on Another sailing forum where it seen one of the guys who sailed one of the 13? New Charter boat from France to Greece was complaining about the news papers calling them pirates and how unfair it was so on and so on,
only then to post their route showing they made several stops and even diverted part of the way down Sardinia to make a stop .
After an up roar of people telling him what they thought of him and the rest, admin shown his hand and stopped all comments.
If he was looking for sympathy, he was very must mistaken.

OldBawley

Visit site
I realy need my exercise. If I don't go rowing, cycling, walking, my back jams and it becomes difficult to climb over the bridge deck.

So every day when there is no rain I make a nice handwritten statement that I go out to exercise. Take my passport with me.

Row on land, cycle 3 miles uphill and then go walking in the maquis and gather firewood for the wood burning stove.

Not sure if the police would see that as essential but from what I see, out here on Poros island everybody does what he wants. Except on the water. Not even the semi professional hobby fishers go out.

Noticed also that all villa´s normally empty for most of the year are now lived in. People flee Athens. More car and moped traffic then usual.

wwalsh

Visit site
Small islands calling for ban on all arrivals, Eva Karamanoli | Kathimerini

I was following the posting on Another sailing forum where it seen one of the guys who sailed one of the 13? New Charter boat from France to Greece was complaining about the news papers calling them pirates and how unfair it was so on and so on,
only then to post their route showing they made several stops and even diverted part of the way down Sardinia to make a stop .
After an up roar of people telling him what they thought of him and the rest, admin shown his hand and stopped all comments.
If he was looking for sympathy, he was very must mistaken.

here is the article calling them pirates Ιστορίες με πειρατές και επιδοτήσεις, Του Ηλία Μπέλλου | Kathimerini

Tony Cross

Visit site
The link here is to a Facebook page so you may not be able to view it. It's from the Data Analysis and Forecasting Lab at the Technical University of Crete and their statistical analysis in late March predicted the peak in Greece on 1st and 2nd April. Their saying that the latest data supports their predictions and they're now forecasting and end in Greece in the middle of May.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I'm just started to wonder how much of this data we can believe.
The data for all this stuff is coming from people who have been tested , how many haven't been tested how many have it or just getting it where no testing have been done one as to ask.

Like many here I too hope a down turn have started and soon we can all get back to some kind of normal life and god I hope I am wrong but I can't see it coming any time soon .

wwalsh

Visit site