Coronavirus and Greece

Tony Cross

Visit site
Compulsory home quarantine by mobile phone geofencing app - might be worth a try everywhere.

If only 50% complied it would help with the isolating and identify those who were not prepared to cooperate.
Agreed, but what measures you take have to be effective, proportionate, and enforceable in the long term that is needed. I suspect that asking people to be sensible is the right way to start and then to gradually tighten the rules down until you get to the point where most people comply. I suspect that applying draconian measures from the get-go is likely to be resisted by increasing numbers after as little as a week or two.....

nortada

Visit site
Think it might be useful to clarify the difference between, self-isolation which is a voluntary act by those who believe they may have the virus or have been in contact with others who may have been in contact with the virus; quarantine is imposed by the authorities on those who are entering the country or are known to have the virus. Not observing quarantine is a criminal act and can be punished.

Social distancing is self explanatory and is activity were we are supposed to place at least 2m between ourselves and all others.

Clearly compulsory home quarantine by mobile phone geofencing app would only be applied to those who are in quarantine, who would legally be required to comply. One problem, not everybody has a smart phone.

Tony Cross

Visit site
Think it might be useful to clarify the difference between, self-isolation which is a voluntary act by those who believe they may have the virus or have been in contact with others who may have been in contact with the virus; quarantine is imposed by the authorities on those who are entering the country or are known to have the virus. Not observing quarantine is a criminal act and can be punished.
The problem with that is that most people are asymptomatic for several days after being infected but are highly infectious to those around them. It also appears that many people never develop symptoms at all and yet are infectious to others. Even with a fully cooperating populace (which you'll never get) this wouldn't stop the spread at all.

Cariadco

Visit site
Looks like Corfu has got our first Case. A 62 year old Greek guy flew in from Brussels, via Athens (I believe). Had suspected Pneumonia originally but then confirmed as Covid 19.
They are now moving him to the mainland for treatment.

wwalsh

Visit site
There are at least 30 newbuild charter yachts presently on delivery voyage from France to Greece. Alimos marina in athens has now installed a floating boom blocking the entrance because on monday one yacht arrived there illegally and each of the 3 crew were fined 5000 euro and quarantined, The yacht was disinfected.

Chris_Robb

Visit site
There are at least 30 newbuild charter yachts presently on delivery voyage from France to Greece. Alimos marina in athens has now installed a floating boom blocking the entrance because on monday one yacht arrived there illegally and each of the 3 crew were fined 5000 euro and quarantined, The yacht was disinfected.
Really worrying for those who have no alternative.
Tha CA in conjunction with Noonsite is trying to log all information on this. The CA is concentrating on Europe specifically.
The lonk for information from the CA is CA

If you have anything to report, such as the above post, could you please email it to covid-19@theca.org.uk and copy in Noonsite@noonsite.com.

Please back up your information with where and how the information arose.

The problem now is that many of us have switched off as we cannot sail anywhere, but there are still people trying to get into a safe environment, such as a bunch of yachts coming from the Red Sea and wanting to go to Greece... Given this post, what should the do? Hence the need for as much authenticity as possible as people will make massive decisions on a post like this.

W Walsh - could you post this to the above with some background on how any where you found out (I note that you might be in Athens. (PM sent)

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Really worrying for those who have no alternative.
Tha CA in conjunction with Noonsite is trying to log all information on this. The CA is concentrating on Europe specifically.
The lonk for information from the CA is CA

If you have anything to report, such as the above post, could you please email it to covid-19@theca.org.uk and copy in Noonsite@noonsite.com.

Please back up your information with where and how the information arose.

The problem now is that many of us have switched off as we cannot sail anywhere, but there are still people trying to get into a safe environment, such as a bunch of yachts coming from the Red Sea and wanting to go to Greece... Given this post, what should the do? Hence the need for as much authenticity as possible as people will make massive decisions on a post like this.

W Walsh - could you post this to the above with some background on how any where you found out (I note that you might be in Athens. (PM sent)
Chris we are still seeing people sailing around not given a dam the other day a cat sailed into Licata ,
but headed for the fishing port not the marina , I can tell you he wouldn't had been made welcome .
a while later he sailed back out.
I don't know the circumstances, if he just came in for fuel or if the CG sent him back out .
But if what Walsh report true and I have no reasons to believe it isn't , once again we have a set of skipper and who know who they been in contact with say Fu@@ you all we doing what we want .

OldBawley

Visit site
I anchor since start “lock down “ in a spot in Greece. Pure theoretical the anchorage ( and mooring field ) is in the “Harbour”

Now for Friday they predict North up to 9 BF.

So I would like to move to a spot where I am protected, just half a mile from here. Also in the harbour. Anchor over there, protected from big waves.

I live on a very small old wooden boat, force 9 is not deadly but very uncomfortable. And that for days on end.

Fine could be 5000 € ?

Any advice ?

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
I anchor since start “lock down “ in a spot in Greece. Pure theoretical the anchorage ( and mooring field ) is in the “Harbour”

So I would like to move to a spot where I am protected, just half a mile from here. Also in the harbour. Anchor over there, protected from big waves.

I live on a very small old wooden boat, force 9 is not deadly but very uncomfortable. And that for days on end.

Fine could be 5000 € ?

Any advice ?
South quay Poros, or tell us where you are ?

Last edited:

sailaboutvic

Visit site

Fine could be 5000 € ?

Any advice ?

I not sure any advise you going to get here is going to be much good as we not in your position.
If It was me and I really thought I was going to have to move ,
I would head for the PP and explain the problem and hope they will see your side ,
Also if they do I would try to get some thing in writing , yes that maybe impossible.
My guess they will tell you to go into a marina as that what boats was told to do some days back as I understand it .
Of course you got the other option, stick a couple of anchors out and sit it out but again only you know how uncomfortable is going to be where you are now .
For once in 40 years I am happy to be in a marina even if it hurting my pocket till this comes to a end .
Good luck , let us know how you get on .
Watching this space .

OldBawley

Visit site
I have no fear, my anchor gear is an oversized Rocna, so that is not the problem. Waves out here are at the most about one meter. Come to think of it, my keel could hit bottom.

A German sailor had its boat pulled out at the yard some days ago, was ready to go into the water the day after the “Lock down” Boat was already on the trailer, then the yard owner came with an extra bill. Water and electricity. 50 €. They had some words, then the yard owner said that the coastguard had passed, spotted the boat on the trailer and had warned not to launch the boat.

I think a scam while the coastguard never gets there. No way.

So the German yacht owner went to the coastguard ( by dinghy ) and asked if please his boat could be launched.

No.

So no way I am going to the coastguard, reason is not their thing. Vage reglementation is.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
I have no fear, my anchor gear is an oversized Rocna, so that is not the problem. Waves out here are at the most about one meter. Come to think of it, my keel could hit bottom.

A German sailor had its boat pulled out at the yard some days ago, was ready to go into the water the day after the “Lock down” Boat was already on the trailer, then the yard owner came with an extra bill. Water and electricity. 50 €. They had some words, then the yard owner said that the coastguard had passed, spotted the boat on the trailer and had warned not to launch the boat.

I think a scam while the coastguard never gets there. No way.

So the German yacht owner went to the coastguard ( by dinghy ) and asked if please his boat could be launched.

No.

So no way I am going to the coastguard, reason is not their thing. Vage reglementation is.
has a rule non would I but in these circumstance where fines are given out two to a dozen .
hope you get it sorted

wwalsh

Visit site
Regarding the delivery of newbuild yachts from La Rochelle to Greece. Olympic Marine lavrion prepared a quarantine dock and the first yacht arrived yesterday evening but the crew are apparently to be prosecuted for illegal arrival in greece

Fine could be 5000 € ?

Any advice ?

All the directives are here and the relevant ones are below. There are yachts moving and anchoring in the greek territory. I have only seen reports of arrests/fines due to departure/arrival at ports.
Προστασία απο το Νέο Κορωνοϊό - Νομοθεσία

Δ1α/ΓΠ.οικ. 20009
20 March 2020

Imposition of the measure of partial temporary restriction of traffic of all types of ships and boats as well as the departure and arrival of private pleasure boats and professional tourist ships in the Greek Territory, to limit the spread of the corona COVID-19, for the period from 21.3.2020 and time 06:00 to 21.4.2020 and time 06:00.

Article 1
1. Partial temporary traffic restriction of all type of ship and craft including private pleasure boats and professional tourist boats, ferries, launches and sea taxis, of transport of passengers by sea, from mainland Greece to the islands and in between the islands, for precautionary reasons of public health from further spread of COVID-19 in the Greek Territory.

Article 2

1. From 21 March 2020 at 23:59 and until 21 April 2020 at 06:00, it is prohibited, within the Greek Territory, the departure and arrival of private ships and pleasure boats and professional tourist ships regardless of flag, for precautionary public health reasons, as reported in the National Commission for the Protection of Public Health's 203.2020 recommendation against the COVID-19 corona.

2. During the period referred to in paragraph 1, such vessels and vessels may be transported in the following cases:
a) Emergency and force majeure, involving mechanical damage, damage, anarchy and other related safety-related cases navigation and protection of the marine environment,
b) methods and test voyages, in accordance with the current provisions and orders of the relevant Port Authorities,
c) supply of ships and boats with fuel, water and supplies,
d) movement to/from shipyards for repair and execution of other related works. After the completion of the above works, it is allowed to sail for single voyage without passengers, either to the port of mooring of the ship, or to another port of desire of this Master.

---

Αριθμ. Δ1α/ΓΠ.οικ. 19421
18 March 2020

1. Temporary restriction on the whole of the arrival private yachts on yachts to Greek ports, originating from any geo-graphic destination, as well disembarkation of passengers from these boats for precautionary measures to protect public health from the further spread of the coronavirus to the Greek territory.
2. The prohibitions herein shall apply to time period from 19.3.2020 and time 07:00 until 19.4.2020 and time 07:00.

Last edited:

OldBawley

Visit site
Thanks @wwalsh.

Article 2a means I can move the boat. Reason: safety related cases.

I am the captain, I decide. I am responsible. If I think my boat is not safe on a specific place I have to move it.

Also, The German guy who was refused launching: Article 2d gives him the right to launch and put his boat at the anchorage. What about the costs.?

Well, not my problem.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Thanks @wwalsh.

Article 2a means I can move the boat. Reason: safety related cases.

I am the captain, I decide. I am responsible. If I think my boat is not safe on a specific place I have to move it.

Also, The German guy who was refused launching: Article 2d gives him the right to launch and put his boat at the anchorage. What about the costs.?

Well, not my problem.

Tha problem with Greece as I sure you know like all us who sIled there is a lot depend on the PP officer you happen to be dealing with on the day .