Coronavirus and Greece

Crisby

Visit site
Not following flights per se but I thought it was only Athens and Thessaloniki that was accepting international flights at the moment?
Until 30th June international arrivals are only via Athens and Thessaloniki but from 1st July all of the other airports will be open to international flights (at the moment!)

Chris

grumpygit

Visit site
The only thing you didn't understand we're the links you were posting. Uk citizens should isolate for 14 days still the official line. ... No one shouted you down.

France travel advice - GOV.UK
https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/france
18/06/2020 · 18 June 2020 Updated: 18 June 2020 ... Arrivals from the UK and some other countries are asked to self-isolate for 14 days. Arrivals from outside the European area are required to certify that ...

I apologies for flogging a dead(ish) horse but I do try to pass on credited information so not to confuse. If you had opened the link I posted from the French Ministry, it states on the Q&A

I am a foreign national. On arrival in metropolitan France, am I exempt from quarantine/voluntary quarantine?
Certain categories of persons, particularly those in transit to another country, will be exempt from the voluntary quarantine mechanism, unless they show symptoms:

• Individuals in transit to another country;

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
This is how I understood the situation with France. We checked it out and there was to be no problem with travel or transit but unfortunately I was getting shouted down.
Yesterday Owen drove from Boulogne to Hamburg via Belgium and Netherlands. No border problems at all. He tells me the overall appearance is close to how it has always been. About 10% of attendants and staff in shops wearing masks, most not bothering. Campsites full, an aire he looked at (I assume France) was also full.

I have heard from another contact that the Austrian border can be difficult, driving to Croatia via Italy instead, no border checks.

alexsailor

Visit site
we have a plan to untie the lines on Tuesday heading to Lastovo/Croatia (check out) and via Erikoussa. plan to cruise Ionian islands and those places (tavernas) we like for a month and a half.

grumpygit

Visit site
we have a plan to untie the lines on Tuesday heading to Lastovo/Croatia (check out) and via Erikoussa. plan to cruise Ionian islands and those places (tavernas) we like for a month and a half.

With the uncertainty of Covid19 regarding the charter businesses, bookings unknown but undoubtedly down I would suspect that with luck you will have unhindered sails and a good choice of moorings/Taverna's.

Cariadco

Visit site
Back to the REALLY important stuff...Sailing.
So, Saturday we set off down to Gaios on Paxos, from Corfu.
Me, the Missus and the Mutt.
Crapish sail down, full sails, No wind, lots of wind, 1st Reef, then it dies...Up dow, up down.....all the way down to the Channel, then 16kts from the West and a screaming Reach all the way to Gaios.
Had a nightmare getting the hook to bite, due to the wind, constantly changing, swirling this way, then the next, whilst astern feeding out the chain. Just when I thought we were in a good place, the missus notices a lot of action, painting etc to Bar, very near to us, off I pop asking what;s happening, Oh, tonight's our opening night, do come...there will be lots of music and people!!!
So, off we go again, away from the Bar to a new position and it seemed ok to me.
Yes, the music was loud, very bloody loud, but stopped dead at 2 Am...!!
Next morning, wind all over the place again, Boat swinging everywhere.....Up comes the anchor and off we go, sod it this time. Lashed it sideways to the quayside!! Job done....and a lovely night was had by all!! Everywhere is open in Gaios, Bars, tavernas and even the odd nightclub...No charge for the 2 nights, though.
Next morning, headed North to Mourtos. Uneventful gentle close hauled, sail up though. Quayside in front of the Tavernas was empty. Went to my usual spot on the West wall. and had to pay Vasisllis 20 euros for the night. All the Tavernas & bars were open and some people around. Lovely peaceful night.
Crap sail back upto Gouvia, the next day. Not a breath of wind.
Giving it another two weeks. and off we will be going, again. (Before everything might close down, again.)
Regards.

Last edited:

grumpygit

Visit site
Greece’s plan to open up to the world on July 1 to salvage its tourist season could be jeopardized as there is a growing risk that European Union member-states will fail to agree on the details regarding the opening of their borders to travelers from third countries on that date. EU impasse poses threat to Greek tourism, Yannis Palaiologos | Kathimerini

I read this in today's Ekathimerini, so I am right in assuming a third country is a non EU country such as North Macedonia that may have their borders shut again? And do you think it may evolve back in to more EU countries, such as Italy?
I ask because if the ferries don't sort themselves this time with our bookings I may just drive the long way round to get back to our Greek home. Being stuck here in the UK is so becoming soul destroying.

OldBawley

Visit site
I am looking at one wright now. Some mega motor yacht that I saw a lot in Goceck mariana. Guess it is the one that was refused entry in a big Athens shipyard. Now lying in Poros for anchor. Malthese flag which as we all know means nothing.

wwalsh

Visit site
Does anyone know when or indeed if Greece will accept visiting yachts from Turkey?

I am not sure why the Greek government released the list of 9 countries because it seems this is still being decided at EU level over the weekend. Other info suggests Turkey will be blacklisted, we shall see.

Crisby

Visit site
From 01 JUL there will be flight ban from Britain, Sweden, USA, Russia, Israel, Qatar, United Arab Emirates, Saudi Arabia, Northern Macedonia.
But i suppose people from those countries can continue to arrive indirectly.

«Κλειστή» παραμένει η Ελλάδα για εννέα χώρες και μετά την 1η Ιουλίου
I haven’t seen this reported anywhere else and my Greek isn’t good enough to pick out more than a few words! Does anyone have either an English translation or another report in English please?

At the moment EasyJet reckon they are flying us into Corfu on the 2nd July........

Chris

jordanbasset

Visit site
I haven’t seen this reported anywhere else and my Greek isn’t good enough to pick out more than a few words! Does anyone have either an English translation or another report in English please?

At the moment EasyJet reckon they are flying us into Corfu on the 2nd July........

Chris
Greece remains "closed" for nine countries after July 1

Next week, tourism officially opens for Greece, as from July 1, international arrivals will be allowed at all airports in the country. The government has already issued specific instructions to tourists.
However, there are nine countries for which the ban will continue to apply until further notice, and this is due to the fact that they have a heavy epidemiological burden or an increase in coronary heart disease.
According to information broadcast by ERT, these countries are:

1. Britain
  2. Sweden
  3. USA
  4. Russia
  5. Israel
  6. Qatar
  7. United Arab Emirates
  8. Saudi Arabia
  9. Northern Macedonia
Nine instructions to tourists
At the same time, the General Secretariat for Civil Protection, in collaboration with EODY, the CAA, Fraport, and "El. Venizelos "launched a campaign in three languages (English, French, German), giving specific instructions to those who will enter the Greek territory.
In particular, the instructions are:

• often use antiseptic,
  • wear a mask,
  • wash your hands often and thoroughly,
  • do not touch your mouth, nose and eyes,
  • throw masks and gloves in trash cans,
  • coughing or sneezing on your elbow or a tissue
  • keep your distance,
  • you prefer contactless transactions where possible,
  • Avoid using elevators

wwalsh

Visit site
Beginning July 1, 2020, the Greek government has determined how the country will welcome travellers, carry out the necessary diagnostic screening and keep everyone safe throughout the season.

The Passenger Locator Form (PLF) is a key element in the planning. All travellers are obliged to complete their PLF at least 48 hours before entering the country, providing detailed information on their point of departure, the duration of previous stays in other countries, and the address of your stay while in Greece.

https://travel.gov.gr/

Crisby

Visit site
Beginning July 1, 2020, the Greek government has determined how the country will welcome travellers, carry out the necessary diagnostic screening and keep everyone safe throughout the season.

The Passenger Locator Form (PLF) is a key element in the planning. All travellers are obliged to complete their PLF at least 48 hours before entering the country, providing detailed information on their point of departure, the duration of previous stays in other countries, and the address of your stay while in Greece.

https://travel.gov.gr/
Thank you, I seriously doubt if EasyJet are likely to inform us of this requirement!

Chris

edit: just noticed that it’s a NOTAM so hopefully all the airlines will be aware

Last edited:

Crisby

Visit site
Chris I know it's more costly , but what's stopping you and others to say fly to France then onto Greece , I am so glad we left a couple of years ago ,
Hi Vic, funnily enough we were looking at that earlier today, it’s a backup to the backup plan! Didn’t want to come back to the UK at the end of last year and now I really wish we didn’t

Chris

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Hi Vic, funnily enough we were looking at that earlier today, it’s a backup to the backup plan! Didn’t want to come back to the UK at the end of last year and now I really wish we didn’t

Chris
We feel lucky considering Italy had one of the worst cases at the time in Europe , that we was first to allowed to sail.
Greece is a lovely place to sail with some great anchorage but it has a lots of down side for people like me ,
I glad I did my Greek cruising when we did ..
But for people like you and newcomers to cruisers it has plenty to offer once back you forget the hassle and enjoy being back on the water .
Best of luck.