Cornish Liveaboards! Or Berth holders?

cimota

Visit site
Hi folks,

I'm possibly going to be moving my Liveaboard (a Bav 34) to the Falmouth region in the summer for a year. I'm kinda looking for pointers on friendly places with a nice pub and decent transport links. I'll possibly be at the Penryn Campus and I really wasn't intending on shipping my car over as well.

And yeah, if anyone has a berth in the region that they are able to sub-contract for a liveaboard while they're off sailing in the Med, wouldn't that be interesting!

Any pointers appreciated. Thoughts welcome. And fair sailing to you all!

Matt

longjohnsilver

Visit site
If you’re looking at a marina berth I don’t think you’ll find a friendlier or more convenient place than Pendennis marina. The staff are great, the owner, Mike, is a proper boat nut, he’s got at least 5 that I know of, and lots of pubs just a few minutes walk away. And there’s always lots going on there, normally a superyacht or two on their deep water pontoon.

However, if you want a very cheap mooring without any facilities, the pontoons up towards Truro are well sheltered and cost very little. But they are not convenient for any shoreside facilities. And you’d need to move to get fresh water

I’m sure that there will be other options, several other marinas, as well as possibly swinging moorings, but others more acquainted with them will need to advise you.

jdc

Visit site
There is actually quite a live-aboard community in Penryn. It's all drying 'tho, so it might not suit a Bavaria 34 (which, I assume is a fin keel?).

Moorings off Flushing or Greenbank could work instead. Flushing is a great place to end up as it has a good community feel and two excellent pubs. The Penryn campus is over the hill from the water-front on the opposite shore, so a 20 mite brisk walk will be called for wherever you end up and a bicycle is probably worth bringing along! It's hillier than you might have imagined. Contact the Fal Harbour Commissioners about long-term moorings (no need to say live-aboard immediately, not that I think they'd mind).

Also Falmouth Visitors Yacht Haven has live-aboards sometimes, with showers, washing machine and security but isn't very peaceful. We're at Mylor, which is excellent but is a tad pricey. Hope it goes well: give me a shout when and if you arrive!

Gin

Visit site
Hi folks,

I'm possibly going to be moving my Liveaboard (a Bav 34) to the Falmouth region in the summer for a year. I'm kinda looking for pointers on friendly places with a nice pub and decent transport links. I'll possibly be at the Penryn Campus and I really wasn't intending on shipping my car over as well.

And yeah, if anyone has a berth in the region that they are able to sub-contract for a liveaboard while they're off sailing in the Med, wouldn't that be interesting!

Matt
There is actually quite a live-aboard community in Penryn. It's all drying 'tho, so it might not suit a Bavaria 34 (which, I assume is a fin keel?).

Moorings off Flushing or Greenbank could work instead. Flushing is a great place to end up as it has a good community feel and two excellent pubs. The Penryn campus is over the hill from the water-front on the opposite shore, so a 20 mite brisk walk will be called for wherever you end up and a bicycle is probably worth bringing along! It's hillier than you might have imagined. Contact the Fal Harbour Commissioners about long-term moorings (no need to say live-aboard immediately, not that I think they'd mind).

Also Falmouth Visitors Yacht Haven has live-aboards sometimes, with showers, washing machine and security but isn't very peaceful. We're at Mylor, which is excellent but is a tad pricey. Hope it goes well: give me a shout when and if you arrive!
My son when studying at the Tremouth campus, lived in Hello Student Accommodation, purpose brick built and double glazed,situated at the end of Falmouth train terminus.
He can sleep through anything but my occasional visits are memorable from all the clanging next door at the shipyard, early morning and other times.
Also, as has been said, the campus is an aerobic but pleasant walk uphill to the uni. Son was intending to get a bike which would only have been of benefit on the downhill return, so he invariably either got the bus or teamed up with a car driving student.
Not much in my opinion by way of entertainment in the town, a cinema and many pubs and restaurants, but nearby beaches especially Gyllyngvase Beach are delightful.

A logistics afterthought- driving from SE London, 246 miles took me 6.5 hours with 45minutes of stops..
Trains from Falmouth to the mainline Penzance-London connection at Truro is tedious. Falmouth train infrequent and usually meant 30- 50 minutes wai at Truro as connections never synchronised, and then all stations to Exeter, after which semi fast to London - about 5 hours or so. My son would take that route, then underground to London Victoria or Charing X- he would leave Falmouth on the 1710 to Truro and I would collect him from Orpington, Se London at 0110 the following morning.
Detailed and may be irrelevant for you but it will give an idea.
Also flying to Newlyn, then means a wait, as always , at the airport for the train to Truro, then change fo Falmouth, usually another wait- train total journey time 50 minutes, and with waiting for departure/connection about 90-110 minutes

Last edited:

halcyon

Visit site
Hi folks,

Matt

Pondarden boat Yard, Penryn/Falmouth boundary has a lot of liveaboards, campus walkable or buses, Lidl next door, rates very good, you would be on land though.

In water Muddy Beach Penryn, Council moorings, next to Islington Wharf which has liveaboards, or Freemans Wharf across the river, all closer to Uni.

Brian

cimota

Visit site
If you’re looking at a marina berth I don’t think you’ll find a friendlier or more convenient place than Pendennis marina. The staff are great, the owner, Mike, is a proper boat nut, he’s got at least 5 that I know of, and lots of pubs just a few minutes walk away. And there’s always lots going on there, normally a superyacht or two on their deep water pontoon.

That's a great recommendation and Pendennis looks great. A long walk or short cycle. Thanks so much!

cimota

Visit site
I don’t know much about Pendennis but I do know that there ARE liveaboards there and it’s only a short walk to the railway station - with half hourly (ish) trains to Penryn.
I hadn't even considered there would be a train from Falmouth to Penryn. What a brilliant thing. I was going to bike it (and was even looking at dry suits for the more inclement days). Thank you!

cimota

Visit site
Contact the Fal Harbour Commissioners about long-term moorings (no need to say live-aboard immediately, not that I think they'd mind).

Thanks for the advice! I'm going to be there for 1-2 years by my reckoning and the idea of going back to a shared student house is utterly abhorrent when I have a three-cabin yacht that would more than suffice. "Peaceful" is relative so Yacht Haven might do the trick.

Mylor is magnificent looking. I'm terribly jealous. I had called them and they said they were full up (in March) but I figure there might be winter mornings now that the *pandemic* has delayed my departure to August/September.

cimota

Visit site
A logistics afterthought- driving from SE London, 246 miles took me 6.5 hours with 45minutes of stops..
Trains from Falmouth to the mainline Penzance-London connection at Truro is tedious. Falmouth train infrequent and usually meant 30- 50 minutes wai at Truro as connections never synchronised, and then all stations to Exeter, after which semi fast to London - about 5 hours or so. My son would take that route, then underground to London Victoria or Charing X- he would leave Falmouth on the 1710 to Truro and I would collect him from Orpington, Se London at 0110 the following morning.
Detailed and may be irrelevant for you but it will give an idea.
Also flying to Newlyn, then means a wait, as always , at the airport for the train to Truro, then change fo Falmouth, usually another wait- train total journey time 50 minutes, and with waiting for departure/connection about 90-110 minutes

I wager I'll be visiting London about as often as I do now, though it's entertaining that being near Belfast I'm merely 2 hours from London (55 minutes in the air) whereas in Cornwall I'll be closer to 6 hours away. I seldom visit the place so I think I'll be fine. Worth remembering if I have to fly though. Thank you!

cimota

Visit site
Pondarden boat Yard, Penryn/Falmouth boundary has a lot of liveaboards, campus walkable or buses, Lidl next door, rates very good, you would be on land though.

In water Muddy Beach Penryn, Council moorings, next to Islington Wharf which has liveaboards, or Freemans Wharf across the river, all closer to Uni.

Brian
Freeman's was very attractive, It would be lovely to be able to survey the area before I move the yacht - but this darned lockdown has me looking at boatyards by satellite view.

I wonder if there are liveaboard associations? Paradoxically my worry is actually laundry - I suppose I have to fixate on something easily solvable!

Thank you!

halcyon

Visit site
Freeman's was very attractive, It would be lovely to be able to survey the area before I move the yacht - but this darned lockdown has me looking at boatyards by satellite view.

I wonder if there are liveaboard associations? Paradoxically my worry is actually laundry - I suppose I have to fixate on something easily solvable!

Thank you!

Ponsharden has/had pre virus, a good liveaboard group with a new toilet and shower block and electric to most / all boats. Have to get down to my boat to see what state we are in, could take some photos if it helps :)
Freemans has changed hands, most livaboards used to be afloat, but not been in for a few years now.

Brian

nortada

Visit site
I wager I'll be visiting London about as often as I do now, though it's entertaining that being near Belfast I'm merely 2 hours from London (55 minutes in the air) whereas in Cornwall I'll be closer to 6 hours away. I seldom visit the place so I think I'll be fine. Worth remembering if I have to fly though. Thank you!

Newquay Airport to London could shorten your transit time.

cimota

Visit site
Ponsharden has/had pre virus, a good liveaboard group with a new toilet and shower block and electric to most / all boats. Have to get down to my boat to see what state we are in, could take some photos if it helps :)
Freemans has changed hands, most livaboards used to be afloat, but not been in for a few years now.
I'd be interested in seeing the photos regardless. I've been dosing up on cornwall and am as excited about the region as I am about the university course.

Goldie

Visit site
Mylor is magnificent looking. I'm terribly jealous. I had called them and they said they were full up (in March) but I figure there might be winter mornings now that the *pandemic* has delayed my departure to August/September.

Mylor do a winter berthing deal in the marina from October but I wouldn’t want to be on a swinging mooring all winter - it can be very uncomfortable with wind from the SE. You’d need your own transport though as there is no public transport to the harbour area. Buses are from Mylor Bridge about a mile away, but I don’t think they’re very frequent. Cycling would be viable if you’re keen and fit - it’s not flat around here!

Edit: Do you know which bit of the campus you need access to? I think it’s a bit spread out.

cimota

Visit site
Mylor do a winter berthing deal in the marina from October but I wouldn’t want to be on a swinging mooring all winter - it can be very uncomfortable with wind from the SE. You’d need your own transport though as there is no public transport to the harbour area. Buses are from Mylor Bridge about a mile away, but I don’t think they’re very frequent. Cycling would be viable if you’re keen and fit - it’s not flat around here!
Ah, I don't think I want a swinging mooring just yet. And I'll be bringing a bike. There's no way I won't visit Mylor, looks like an absolute gem.

Gerry

www.gerryantics.blogspot.com
Paradoxically my worry is actually laundry - I suppose I have to fixate on something easily solvable!

We are liveaboards .. We have found that the local laundry service works out cheaper that using the machines in Marinas in many cases. With the added bonus that it comes back beautifully folded!They collect and deliver here with no charges for that provided the laundry costs at least £10...

cimota

Visit site
Paradoxically my worry is actually laundry - I suppose I have to fixate on something easily solvable!

We are liveaboards .. We have found that the local laundry service works out cheaper that using the machines in Marinas in many cases. With the added bonus that it comes back beautifully folded!They collect and deliver here with no charges for that provided the laundry costs at least £10...
I’d thought the same - that a good laundry service would be better than a washing machine in terms of time and quality. ?