Corinth Canal - Greek Strike

G

Was wondering if anyone could throw some light on the strike that is going on
in Greece - I can't get any info on it here. Is the Corinth Canal closed? If
so is it a 24hr strike or indefinite. Likewise airport, trains, buses and
ferries - all things we will be using when we arrive - which is scheduled for 2 weeks today!
Any local information would assist greatly

G

I approached the canal last month with the intention of going through having spent the previous night in Kiato - grubby commercial port with sunken breakwater - only to be informed by the lockmaster that the canal was closed due to a "National strike". We put in to Corinth which is a really good place with most facilities either on the quay or brought by tanker (fuel, water) and went through in convoy with vessels of all sizes. The manning at the eastern end is very sparse and waiting to pay our dues took almost two hours because the man who operates the bridge is the same guy who takes the money. beware when mooring up to take account of the odd rogue coaster skipper who will rush past at high speed causing a nasty wash.

i have the details of who to ring at home. Will bring them in tomorrow for you.

Steve Cronin

sarahnorbury

Visit site
Guess you have up to date info from Steve C's phone contact now, however I can add that a crew who returned from Greece yesterday say the canal has been completely closed for around 10 days, till further notice. Talks are being held today. This crew were bound for Athens from the Ionian. They could not delay their return to UK so had to leave their boat in Corinth Yacht Harbour which they say is filling up with boats being left there till the canal re-opens. All other transport is working normally.

Visit site
"Corinth Yacht Harbour" is only a wall inside the fishing & pleasure caiqe harbour. It is not a place you would want to leave a yacht unattended. Besides being small, protection from the Meltemi is only partial and local boats turn very close to the visitors berths. The next harbour up, Kiato is less crowded but the intended yacht moorings, on a purpose built (in 1997) quay have sunk, complete with quay, to sea level so that all you can see is the bollards!

Protection at the other end is worse but at least you could turn back to Zea, Kalamaki or one of the Glyfadas for a safe holding berth.

Incidentally Sarah, I think that someone else uses the handle "Steve C" (Half way through article on our delivery trip from Slovenia to Athens - YM will get first refusal of course!! )

Steve Cronin