Copper Grease or Not?

TernVI

Visit site

I agree and for this reason it isn't a good idea to mix copper filled greases with stainless that is in a stressed location. I think ordinary grease would be fine. Try and minimalist the variety of materials in contact.
If it's stressed, it may be better to use a high tensile BZP bolt and change it when it gets tatty.

Poey50

Visit site
That was my guess also.

It's fun to make these assumptions but it would be surprising to me if a well-established business such as Windpilot, which has gone through much development over several decades in a competitive market, hadn't twigged that they were using an unnecessarily expensive product. So I'm keeping an open mind and will continue with my hard smelly tub.

stuartwineberg

Visit site
Haven't tried this yet, is it as messy as Duralac?
No. Its a white gel like substance not dissimilar to vaseline and comes in a syringe with a little brush attached. You can syringe it in or dip the brush into the main body of the gel in the syringe barrel. Very expensive (American import) but goes on forever. AFAIK doesn't go off like duralac

Stemar

Visit site
Thanks everyone. A4 bolts and anhydrous lanolin it is. I have a couple of tubes of Duralac on board, but they're waiting for me to dig them out and bin them. I dislike that stuff intensely - while it's still good, it gets everywhere then, when you need it, it's gone solid and you have to buy another lifetime's supply

Bilgediver

Visit site
It's fun to make these assumptions but it would be surprising to me if a well-established business such as Windpilot, which has gone through much development over several decades in a competitive market, hadn't twigged that they were using an unnecessarily expensive product. So I'm keeping an open mind and will continue with my hard smelly tub.

I hope you rub some on your prop before lifting in! Gives you hands that are soft.......... Plus the barnacles find it difficult to stick.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Copper and Stainless are not a good mix. Some grades suffer badly from inter-granular penetration by the copper in the grease which affects the structural integrity of the bolts after time, some less so but when I worked on Reactor systems in the 70's We weren't allowed to use our own tools in case we'd had them in contact with copper, brass or bronze.
I only know intergranular penetration of one metal by another at elevated temperatures. Well, maybe mercury might be an exception. Are you saying it happens at ambient temperatures?

Topcat47

Visit site
Hi Vyv,

I'm not a metallurgist, but we were all paranoid about contamination of SS by Copper in reactor systems, not just HT and HP systems and it spread to all aspects of SS work. I left that field in '73 and didn't get involved with it again until '98 and then is was in management.

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
Hi Vyv,

I'm not a metallurgist, but we were all paranoid about contamination of SS by Copper in reactor systems, not just HT and HP systems and it spread to all aspects of SS work. I left that field in '73 and didn't get involved with it again until '98 and then is was in management.
Whatever you do, don't use stainless steel nuts and bolts without copper grease or similar. If you do, eventually you will experience galling and, as I have found out, that can certainly be an extremely galling experience. :(

Richard