Copper Grease on batteries - Yes or No

stevebirch2002

www.albinvega.co.uk
OK I am just about to fit the batteries prior to launching "Southern Comfort" on Tuesday. I have new battery terminal connectors and would like to know whether to use Copper Grease on the battery terminals or just standard waterproof grease to stop any corrosion etc. I am sure there must be someone that knows the answer. Cheers in advance!

Tisme

Visit site
I've used Vaseline in the past, but I don't bother these days and don't have any problems with leaving the terminals "naked".

chrisross

Visit site
Well I have used copper grease before because that was all I had to hand at the time and it worked ok for me. I think the usual recommendation is vaseline or a proprietary battery terminal grease but I found anhydrous lanolin more durable personally. I think it's equally important to make sure the battery, terminals and connections and compartment are kept clean and dry and that connections are really mechanically and electrically sound before applying terminal grease to protect against corrosion as far as possible.
Chris

A

Anonymous

I always use flooded lead acid and wipe over the tops and terminals with a damp cloth, then a dry cloth, then a smear of petroleum jelly - just a very light smear or it is messy when you are servicing the batteries, and dirt tends to stick. I imagine you'd have less of a problem with sealed/gel batteries because with those there are no gasses vented under normal circumstances.

nedmin

Visit site
the only time you get deposits on the battery terminals is when you have a leak between terminal and the case,that allows acid vapour to attack the terminal, if your boat is in damp/salt air etc. you could get oxidation on the terminals for this I would use silicon grease or vaseline whatever turns you on!!

savageseadog

Visit site
I've also used copper grease when nothing else was on hand. There is no advantage, silicon grease is best, but anything is better than nothing.

elliotmasters

Visit site
I had a problem with furring up of the battery terminals but after using bog standard vaseline I've had no problems or deposits since. Why spend money on expensive grease, there's more than one way to skin a cat!

the_wanderer

Visit site
Yep. Vasiline is the tried and tested remedy over the many years I have been involved with engines. (Over fifty years since I was a little squirt helping my dad to maintain his motorbike). It is cheap and effective and repells water. What more does anybody want?

Regards.

Alan.