Cookham Moorings

Teddy

Visit site
Several changes at Cookham moorings this year. Charges are up to £8 from £6 last year, but more importantly, IMHO, is that it is now 24hrs, or part thereof, i.e you will be charged if you pull up just for a lunch stop, rather like Henley. So if you stay overnight, you are expected to depart the next morning.

Chris_d

Visit site
Several changes at Cookham moorings this year. Charges are up to £8 from £6 last year, but more importantly, IMHO, is that it is now 24hrs, or part thereof, i.e you will be charged if you pull up just for a lunch stop, rather like Henley. So if you stay overnight, you are expected to depart the next morning.
Henley is free between 10 and 3pm, only charge if staying overnight basically.

oldgit

Visit site
For Gawds sake whinging about £8.00 in just about the nicest mooring on the Thames, be down by the church or on the open Meadows, a most glorious spot.
Nice walk to the high street pub or a 20 min walk to that shop up near the station that stocks just about anything you could ever need.
Decent Pizza Cafe as well.
Alway nice to meet the lady with her dog(s) who collects to dosh.
Were talking about a gallon of diesel here or large glass of Pino !
Somebody was mowing the field for hay while we were there . Your lucky to be able to use it.

AuntyRinum

Visit site
Really? £8? Is that bad for such a lovely mooring? Are you saying that you are not allowed to stay for more than 24 hours now?
Henley BTW is free mooring between 1000 and 1500. They do it to encourage shopping in the town.

oldgit

Visit site
The lady used to wander along early evening to collar the overnighters.We did nip off early once and missed her , she did mention it when we stopped there again going back down a few days later.
Offered to pay but she declined to accept.

DWT

Visit site
Stopped there the weekend before last. It was very busy indeed. Mooring fee was collected late afternoon which I am always happy to pay. It's one of the best moorings on the Upper Thames with rings on the lower part and rubbish bins provided as well, plus a short and very pleasant walk to several good pubs and restaurants. Bit of a bargain really.

The town council moorings at Henley above the bridge are free during the day, but the ones near Phyllis Court below the bridge are operated by Steve of SRB Moorings who will rarely let an opportunity to collect his £10 fee pass. No facilities as at Cookham, but a nice spot, a short walk into town and much quieter than the town moorings.

Chris_d

Visit site
I think Cookham are getting a bit greedy, we stopped for an hour and five minutes yesterday for lunch, the nice polite lady was lurking on our return. It did rather ruin a nice lunch.
I wouldn't mind if it was more for an overnight but a quick lunchtime stop shouldn't cost.

oldgit

Visit site
I think Cookham are getting a bit greedy, we stopped for an hour and five minutes yesterday for lunch, the nice polite lady was lurking on our return. It did rather ruin a nice lunch.
I wouldn't mind if it was more for an overnight but a quick lunchtime stop shouldn't cost.

Suspect as the parish council is responsible for collecting the fees and the lady volunteer who collects the dough has got other things to do rather than patrol the moorings several times a day and distinquish the quick stop boats who clog the moorings :) from the overnighters, who probably actually spend money in the pubs/resturants and shops nearbye.
If you are there when she walks past on her daily round tough .
Doubt if they employed somebody to do multiple patrols to make sure only overnighters paid , the fee would remain at £8.00 for very long.

Chris_d

Visit site
Suspect as the parish council is responsible for collecting the fees and the lady volunteer who collects the dough has got other things to do rather than patrol the moorings several times a day and distinquish the quick stop boats who clog the moorings :) from the overnighters, who probably actually spend money in the pubs/resturants and shops nearbye.
If you are there when she walks past on her daily round tough .
Doubt if they employed somebody to do multiple patrols to make sure only overnighters paid , the fee would remain at £8.00 for very long.
We spent money in the Crown for lunch, we must have just missed her when we arrived as she knew how long we had been there almost exactly and was waiting for our return. If they only charged for overnighters and 10-3pm was free then you would only need a late afternoon and early morning patrol. Its just making the river a bit less relaxed and easy going as you have to think about what procedure is required to cough up money everywhere you stop and put a foot off the boat.

The Glassman

Visit site
Agree entirely with DWT.
Bell Rope Meadow in Cookham is a lovely place to moor. Well maintained, peaceful - and very close to the excellent pubs restaurants and the excellent Stanley Spencer Gallery.
One of our favourite moorings and well worth the overnight fee every time, in my view, although I think that trying to charge for short-term, mid-day use is very short sighted if that is the case.

Chill

Visit site
The lady pays the council for a licence so the more boats she can nab the more she earns, bit like Steve in Henley

Elessar

Visit site
£18 not uncommon in the solent now. Short stay only.

Portland Billy

Visit site
Just been told that the Grey Goose thingy occupying prime space for months is allowed to do so because he is the relief mooring collector ( eh!!??).

boatone

www.tmba.org.uk
Just been told that the Grey Goose thingy occupying prime space for months is allowed to do so because he is the relief mooring collector ( eh!!??).
News to me - but the Cookham park moorings between the church and the sailing club are Royal Borough of Windsor and Maidenhead land and if they choose to permit long term mooring that is their prerogative. The moorings are managed by the warden who collects fees but the rules are determined by RBWM. These are NOT EA 24 hour moorings.
Coincidentally I took a walk there on Saturday and apart from Grey Goose and one Piper barge the moorings were fully occupied by cruisers, some of which had been there for more than one day.

Other threads that may be of interest