Contessa 32 purchase advice. Newbie here. Yatch world purchase

steveeasy

Visit site
If it’s your first boat I would be looking for something newer and more mass market but clearly you might be a n engineer for whom an aged diesel holds no issues. Set your budget and let foruminites know and I’m sure many will give choices for a 32 ft boat . Look at a few more though before making your decision as it’s very easy to buy a boat but much harder to sell it. Maybe a good solid Westerly or moody would offer you more but you won’t know until you’ve viewed a few. For a newbie I’m not certain a contessa is perhaps a learner boat in summary .

Come on, Why on earth would you suggest he considers what can only be described as giant jacuzzies. :)

Steveeasy

flinny

Visit site
This boat was recently refitted by a boat yard in wales

Which yard?

I would look at post #16 and #18 and think carefully. I've always thought buying a boat with a dead engine was a better bet than buying a boat for more money with an ancient and/or unknown condition engine.

hey savage, thanks for response

Firmhelm Ltd, Pwllheli - Bing (as per the video) from 2016 here: 1972 Contessa 32 - GBP 49,000 - YouTube
see also here:
For Sale: Tigo II - Contessa 32 (firmhelm.com)
  • Fully Re sprayed Topsides, Decks and Cabintops.
  • New Standing Rigging
  • New Running Rigging
  • New Windows + Hatches
  • Fully Rewired + New Instruments
  • New Solid Teak Cockpit
  • Internally Fully Refurbished
  • All new Deck gear including Winches
  • New Upholstery
  • New Toilet
  • New Cooker

there is also evidence of it been transferred to the current owner from the boat yard by the RYA here:
Tigo II Delivery (brittanysailing.com)

Last edited:

flinny

Visit site
If it’s your first boat I would be looking for something newer and more mass market but clearly you might be a n engineer for whom an aged diesel holds no issues. Set your budget and let foruminites know and I’m sure many will give choices for a 32 ft boat . Look at a few more though before making your decision as it’s very easy to buy a boat but much harder to sell it. Maybe a good solid Westerly or moody would offer you more but you won’t know until you’ve viewed a few. For a newbie I’m not certain a contessa is perhaps a learner boat in summary .

i may do this and you've given me much to think about.
great engagements off you guys and thanks for welcoming me to to thread, if i didn't respond to those greetings from individual, earlier. i'm a bit impuslive in responding and then re-reading, past threads, realised how blunt/rude i can sometimes come across. not my intentions.

thanks

savageseadog

Visit site
hey savage, thanks for response

Firmhelm Ltd, Pwllheli - Bing (as per the video) from 2016 here: 1972 Contessa 32 - GBP 49,000 - YouTube
see also here:
  • New Standing Rigging
  • New Running Rigging
  • New Windows + Hatches
  • New Solid Teak Cockpit
  • New Upholstery
  • New Toilet
  • New Cooker

there is also evidence of it been transferred to the current owner from the boat yard by the RYA here:
Tigo II Delivery (brittanysailing.com)
Firmhelm are OK

flinny

Visit site
I think you are rushing in to a purchase that is not appropriate to your skillset. C32 are wetboats, albeit v tough. And as has been pointed out, the general price of the breed is high bcs of the 'elitist' classical factor.

The problems with the boat have been pointed out. Did you mention a survey by a professional ?

For the money, there are many other much better, less troublesome boats, and for less money there are ones which will take you through your planned next couple of years in more comfort, and with easier sailing and still get your money back if you look after her. If the C32 needs lots of hidden work, she will be a money pit as all the interior is built up layer by layer so, e.g. the tankage replacement (and the associated and necessary increase in size) will be a long, slow and expensive process..

I suspect that you are being led by your inexperience and over-optimism.

i think i might agree...now
do you have any suggestions other than the moody or the westerley
and i'll take a look...

thanks for the advice

Yellow Ballad

Visit site
I remember walking this Co in Pwllheli and thinking she looked lovely, pretty sure she was up for 40k then and I remember thinking how crazy the price was.

25k seems a but more there, I think I would want a nice new Beta in there myself but at the end of the day it's your money. A friend sold his nice Rustler 31 for the asking price of 30k last year and if I'm honest I was surprised but then I'm a tight arse and buy something tatty I can work on myself.

As for other boats, if you like the Contessa but want something similar for less, look no further than an Albin Ballad ?

Rappey

Visit site
There was a thread about the iow ferry running over a contessa in cowes and some suggestions of around 250k to build a new one.
The one your interested in looks brand new. Would like to see how the interior looks.
It's not that different where some buy a dependable golf but others prefer the troublesome but beautiful car.
Beautiful to sail versus something else where you may get more boat for your money ??

flinny

Visit site
I remember walking this Co in Pwllheli and thinking she looked lovely, pretty sure she was up for 40k then and I remember thinking how crazy the price was.

25k seems a but more there, I think I would want a nice new Beta in there myself but at the end of the day it's your money. A friend sold his nice Rustler 31 for the asking price of 30k last year and if I'm honest I was surprised but then I'm a tight arse and buy something tatty I can work on myself.

As for other boats, if you like the Contessa but want something similar for less, look no further than an Albin Ballad ?

Ha Ha,
You are correct, 40k asking price in Wales, current owner paid 32k, three years ago from the yard, had it delivered by RYA
see here for interior:

1973 Contessa 32 Sail New and Used Boats for Sale - www.yachtworld.co.uk

here is the original advert from the boat yard (3 years ago)
(5) 1972 Contessa 32 - GBP 49,000 - YouTube
  • New Standing Rigging
  • New Running Rigging
  • New Windows + Hatches
  • New Solid Teak Cockpit
  • New Upholstery
  • New Toilet
  • New Cooker
will check out Albin Ballad, cheers

KompetentKrew

Visit site
… i decided to put an offer in on a Contessa 32 (it's a little earlier than i planned as wanted some sailing classes first

none. this is the first boat i've ever viewed.
i'm single. The plan was to buy a boat that, i could resell in 18 months, which would hold its value, while i learned to sail, that would be forgiving and look after me in the north sea.

in the meantime i was planning to get my crew skills cert (now on hold till march due to covid)
then the coastal skipper cert
I have gone from zero to "hero" in the last 3 years, and I think my progression was reasonably fast.

Possibly I have been too ambitious or aggressive in my progression, as my mistakes have cost me fortunes.

I urge you not to buy a boat before you've got your competent crew - not until you've got that at the very least.

After taking my competent crew I had months on board - cruising Brittany, doing a 2000 mile mile-builder and more - before I got my coastal skipper. And I still wasn't really ready for the boat I bought.

Dreamers and "wannabes" are the future of our sport - we see a lot of them on here, and we embrace them in defiance of our scepticism. Most disappear after their first thread. I was one, and I'm pretty pleased with myself that I've made it, disproving those who sneered at me when I made some of my early postings. But please, please, for the love of God, don't buy a boat before you've learned to sail.

Becoming a charter captain in the sun is a fantasy - right now you have no idea of what you're getting into. You have to be able to crawl down the deck in a gale, at night and getting soaking wet, and fix whatever the heck the problem is with the furler or gib sheet; then you have to crawl back into the cockpit and get back under sail, perhaps repeating such exhausting feats for days on end.

IMO you would be better off taking a zero-to-Yachtsmaster course than to buy a boat at this stage. UKSA are well respected - their course is quite intensive, a solid 16 weeks; I am sceptical that this alternative course is as much cheaper as it appears.

You never get back the money you spend on a boat - sorry, but the idea that you can "buy a throw away boat, with good resale, [maintain or upgrade it] and get the same money i paid for it back" is just not realistic. When you own a boat you piss away money constantly. It's worth it, but that's a different matter - replacing a single rope on a boat of this size could cost you £300. Don't tell me that the running rigging is recent so you won't need to replace a halyard, because there's always something else - it'll be the radio or the anchor chain that needs doing next.

Ningaloo

Northern summers on Primal otherwise Perth WA
yacht-primal.com
I hate to be negative but the idea that you might progress from no experience to a charter skipper on your own boat in a couple of years is, as KompetentKrew says, a fantasy.
The charter market is more about holiday than sailing, especially non-bareboat. Do you have a background in hospitality that fits the role of hotelier, caterer and tour guide? Expectations are high and most of the charter fleets in the med consist of boats less than 5 years old, probably costing 300k+ new, more for a catamaran.

The boats I have owned are very different to the Contessa and personally I don't see its appeal. I look for a boat that will first and foremost, be comfortable to live on as I spend 4-5 months a year aboard. This means standing headroom, large galley and heads plus plenty of storage. Secondary (but increasingly important as my sailing skills have improved over the years) is sailing ability. Here I'm looking for a fast but easy to sail boat as I'm often solo or with inexperienced crew. So no large genoa and all lines led back to winches beside the steering position. Finally reliability is important, which for me rules out boats the age of a Contessa.

Think of the Contessa as a vintage car, nice to look at but totally impractical for anything other than a short Sunday drive to the pub. In contrast, your everyday car which may not be as pretty, but starts every time, fits the family in and does not cost a fortune to maintain.

This may sound harsh, and your dream clearly isn't mine, but like many others here, I think you need to get basic sailing experience before investing a serious amount of money in such an old boat.

fredrussell

Visit site
...replacing a single rope on a boat of this size could cost you £300.

Over-egging the pudding there a bit fella! Yes, you can spend uber amounts on state of the art line, but you don’t have to. I just purchased 30 metres of Liros 14mm for less than £40. No need to scare the guy needlessly.

To the OP, if you like this style of boat there are plenty of equally pretty boats of other designs from that era that don’t command the inflated prices of the legendary Contessa 32. Someone mentioned the Albin Ballad, have a look also at She 31 - a boat sometimes described as the thinking man’s Contessa 32!

sarabande

Visit site
I agree with Fred R. Look at the Victoria range of boats, and also the She 31/32. Colvics are also worth consideration.

All of that era were overbuilt in terms of hull thickness, and have reached a plateau in depreciation.

[178529]

Visit site
I can see the contessa 32 attraction. I think it follows the old adage "if it looks right, it is right". A bit like the Spitfire.

I've sailed on one, and they do go well when the wind blows but are a bit wet and cramped.

A boat purchase is one of those heart decisions. A bit like the sort of women, or men, you find attractive.

My problem is I buy a boat and then immediately start looking at a different boat ....

If you like the contessa 32 then you might also want to look at a Sadler 32, same heritage, slightly more room and a bit cheaper.

38mess

Visit site
Nice boats, sail really well, mate had one in the 90s and we sailed most weekends.
As mentioned before they are pretty cramped below, and getting wet fun soon wore off for me.
Plenty of other more roomy boats that will get you there a bit later, but drier and more relaxed.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
You never get back the money you spend on a boat - sorry, but the idea that you can "buy a throw away boat, with good resale, [maintain or upgrade it] and get the same money i paid for it back" is just not realistic. When you own a boat you piss away money constantly. It's worth it, but that's a different matter - replacing a single rope on a boat of this size could cost you £300. Don't tell me that the running rigging is recent so you won't need to replace a halyard, because there's always something else - it'll be the radio or the anchor chain that needs doing next.

There is much to agree with in your post, but i can't help make a comment on the £300 rope. You'd have to seriously go out of your way to find such a thing on a Contessa 32. My boat is bigger than the Contessa and my most expensive line can be replaced with some budget braid on braid for £39 or some Jimmy Green Dyneema for £115.

Slight Fred Drift, i was surprised how cheap decent Dyneema can be had for these days.

Last edited:

dankilb

Visit site
I share the OP’s optimism - depending on who I’m talking to, and my level of confidence at the time, our boat is destined for charter (not condo cat in the Caribbean mind - more surf bum in Indonesia!)...

But I think we need to collectively emphasise that owning a boat is the worst possible way of learning to sail! I’d count my boat ownership as inversely proportional to my sailing opportunities!

Crewing, charters, courses, mucking about with mates, racing at the local club = sailing!

Boat ownership - unless you’re made of money - will mean dedicating a huge % (and sometimes, no doubt, all) your potential sailing time to maintaining or learning to maintain your boat. This is a joy in itself of course, but learning to sail, it ain’t!

It’s easy to say “fit a new engine for £????” - but there’s researching the models/options, doing the deal on the new lump, preparing the engine bay (you’ll do what you can yourself, unless you want to lose even more of your potential big boat capital on the C32), then tidying everything up afterwards (assuming a professional install). Not all of this is fun, or even boaty - much time will be spent at home, over the PC/phone, agonising over options!

This is, of course, all time that could be spent sailing!

PaulRainbow

Visit site
hey! thanks for the input
i read from the "is the contessa 32 really that good" thread and this was coming up as a good comparison, if not better.
the problem is, i'm just not liking the look of the lines on this boat...

the contessa 32 is more elegant and you have to really have a feeling for a boat i think.

it does, put things into focus though in terms of value for money...

The Westerly was just an example of better value for money than the Contessa there'll be lots of others. You say that you only want the boat for 18 months, so i can't agree with the "have a feeling" comment, be different if you were going to keep it long term. If your plan is to keep something short term and recoup as much money as you can you need to focus on value for money and something that won't need a fortune spending on it, as well as being a sought after boat.

As you have not viewed a single boat yet i'd strongly urge you not to put an offer in on the Contessa. By all means go and look at it, but you really must go and look at some others too, even some of the ones that you've not fallen in love with the looks. I'll wager that if you do, you won't buy the pretty Contessa.

Gwylan

Visit site
Hey All

I'm new to the forum and new to sailing.
spent about three month researching sail boats before i decided to put an offer in on a Contessa 32 (it's a little earlier than i planned as wanted some sailing classes first but covid is driving me mad so i thought let's just do this)

also a lurker here, and didn't want to post until i decided to take a plunge to avoid ending up in the broken dreams, didn't happen thread.

1973 Contessa 32 Sail New and Used Boats for Sale - www.yachtworld.co.uk

I've got a viewing on Saturday, 30th and it looks like my offer may be accepted.

This boat was recently refitted by a boat yard in wales, prior to the current owner purchasing it in 2017 and getting it delivered:

Tigo II Delivery

It has new standing rigging (2016)
New running rigging (2016)
Mast replaced in (2006)
full interior rebursh in 2016
basic electronics pack 2016

the engine is original
as are the water and fuel tanks i believe but that these are yet to be confirmed.

obviously the purchase is subject to survey, haulout and sea trail.
i just wondered what you guys think at 25k

and anything i should be looking out for, any advice would be great. whether you think it priced fairly etc

cheers
Like most others here, it's the engine. At that age you are buying a lottery ticket. Not a matter of if but when your number comes up. Probably measured in months not years.
You will be looking at £5k at the very least.

There has been a lot of glitter spread about. But underneath it is what it is.

Recently went through selling a boat in a similar situation. Tough compromise on price with a buyer who knew what he was buying.

I would say if you do not have the spare funds to expect to drop £5k on an engine renovation soon, then walk away.

Buying boats you find yourself kissing a lot of frogs. Just make sure yours turns into a prince or princess.

Gwylan

Visit site
Oh! And reselling.
People buy your boat when they want it. You don't sell it when you want to.

It can take a while, 18 months or 10 minutes to sell a boat. Budget that into your plans.

As for charter captain of your own boat? Imagine having Greg Wallace and Phillip Green on your boat and managing the WAGS expectations when their 4kw hair dryers do not work on board.
Oh, and " can you turn the wind down mate? The wind is spoiling their hair"