Contessa 32 purchase advice. Newbie here. Yatch world purchase

steveeasy

Visit site
Thought id compare the sail area and weight compared to my Twister. Very similar weight of 9,500 lbs. The rig is the same size, with a similar sail area. Not sure what ive gained from this other than the 32 Has a much lower displacement/length ratio making the Twister ultra heavy.
So the contessa 32 would be great to sail anywhere but my Twister might be better in a real blow. I really like both, and both are really good value for money. whats not to like.

Steveeasy

oldgit

Visit site
.....have not read entire thread but suspect prospective MoBo owners are not much different to yachties.
Want you want/what you think you want and what you actually need from a boat , tend to be two very different beasts.

Same applies to what needs replacing/ mending or chucking away on purchase of the boat.
Chum of mine recently bought a rather nice modern first boat, asked me to go aboard and give his boat a quick once over.
Was presented with list a of what he intended to do to get the boat up to scratch and as he wanted it.
First on his list to be dumped was £1500 quids worth of liferaft ! It was a bit scruffy and in the way.
Suggested he might really like to start with some fenders and maybe some wet weather gear and if their was any money left :eek: some bloody lifejackets and a decent radio :(
We are still talking by the way.

V1701

Visit site
.....have not read entire thread but suspect prospective MoBo owners are not much different to yachties.
Want you want/what you think you want and what you actually need from a boat , tend to be two very different beasts.

Same applies to what needs replacing/ mending or chucking away on purchase of the boat.
Chum of mine recently bought a rather nice modern first boat, asked me to go aboard and give his boat a quick once over.
Was presented with list a of what he intended to do to get the boat up to scratch and as he wanted it.
First on his list to be dumped was £1500 quids worth of liferaft ! It was a bit scruffy and in the way.
Suggested he might really like to start with some fenders and maybe some wet weather gear and if their was any money left :eek: some bloody lifejackets and a decent radio :(
We are still talking by the way.

Very true, I've helped a few people to buy their first boat and, full of enthusiasm which is perfectly natural and understandable, they tell you they're going to do this and they're going to do that and they're going to alter this, etc. It's all you can do to stop them and get them to wait and see what works and what doesn't before doing anything...:rolleyes:

oldgit

Visit site
Act in haste etc.
Have gone through several boats disposing of heaps of stuff, thought to be not required on journey, only to later bitterly regret chucking it away and on one or two occassions having to buy stuff at great expensive to replace
To rub salt in to the wound have also gone to some trouble removing redundant wiring as well , only to endure the nightmare of running new wiring later on.
Hours of fun covering up holes in the boat interior to hide the tangled mess of mysterious wires lurking within .

Daydream believer

Visit site
I realise Morgans are built with wood and might float but would have thought boating in the Stella would have been a better idea
If you have ever driven a Moggy in the rain you would know that there is not a lot of difference between a thrash to windward in a Stella & 70 MPH up a lane full of puddles in a Morgan
Both can give a Contessa a run for its money in the "wet" stakes