Contessa 32 purchase advice. Newbie here. Yatch world purchase

flinny

Visit site
Hey All

I'm new to the forum and new to sailing.
spent about three month researching sail boats before i decided to put an offer in on a Contessa 32 (it's a little earlier than i planned as wanted some sailing classes first but covid is driving me mad so i thought let's just do this)

also a lurker here, and didn't want to post until i decided to take a plunge to avoid ending up in the broken dreams, didn't happen thread.

1973 Contessa 32 Sail New and Used Boats for Sale - www.yachtworld.co.uk

I've got a viewing on Saturday, 30th and it looks like my offer may be accepted.

This boat was recently refitted by a boat yard in wales, prior to the current owner purchasing it in 2017 and getting it delivered:

Tigo II Delivery

It has new standing rigging (2016)
New running rigging (2016)
Mast replaced in (2006)
full interior rebursh in 2016
basic electronics pack 2016

the engine is original
as are the water and fuel tanks i believe but that these are yet to be confirmed.

obviously the purchase is subject to survey, haulout and sea trail.
i just wondered what you guys think at 25k

and anything i should be looking out for, any advice would be great. whether you think it priced fairly etc

cheers

earlybird

Visit site
Contessa 32s always seem to be overpriced so I won't really comment. However, with a 48 year old engine, I think you should budget a few £k for major overhaul or ~£8-9K, say, for a replacement in the fairly near future.

flinny

Visit site
Welcome to the forums!

Looks pretty, but it's quite optimistically priced, especially as it has almost a 50 year old engine. There's a tidy-looking 1977 boat with a 2007 Beta engine on the market, offers on £18.5K.

Contessa 32 Used Boat for Sale 1977 | TheYachtMarket

it needs a new mast, and standing rigging, so probably a new main sail as well, at the point id be at 10-15k and thinking about the running rigging while there.

flinny

Visit site
If it wasn't for the engine I tell you to go for it with vigour. As it is I'd try to get the price down so that an installed Beta + boat cost me £30k. I'd be happy at that.

an offer of 21k was already turned down... i agree with what you are saying, would be happy if i got it for 23k though

ashtead

Visit site
Many fans of these boats at Lymington and Yarmouth -all seem happy with their choice - they are a premium brand but have a loyal following so I guess if it’s for you depends on your sailing plans, crew/family you sail with your budget to maintain and refurb plus berthing . You might not get an unbiased view but ask in the owners forum for any issues. To my mind they seem rather crapped but if you are sailing as a childless couple then seem very suitable. Put a cockpit tent on one and it helps when moored . How many previous versions have you viewed as seeing a few might help to form a view as to what a fair price looks like.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
it needs a new mast, and standing rigging, so probably a new main sail as well, at the point id be at 10-15k and thinking about the running rigging while there.

Needs a new mast and rigging, but not a new engine. £25k, plus a new engine is an awfully expensive 1973 boat, IMO. The Contessa has a following, but in my opinion, it's a very cramped 32 foot boat.

A five minute search turned this up, as an example, there'll be others:

Westerly Fulmar Used Boat for Sale 1986 | TheYachtMarket

Volvo 30hp diesel engine (new 2015)

In mast furling mainsail (new 2016) and a furling genoa. Cruising chute.
Stainless steel standing rigging renewed 2016.

Mikuni warm air cabin heating system.

flinny

Visit site
Many fans of these boats at Lymington and Yarmouth -all seem happy with their choice - they are a premium brand but have a loyal following so I guess if it’s for you depends on your sailing plans, crew/family you sail with your budget to maintain and refurb plus berthing . You might not get an unbiased view but ask in the owners forum for any issues. To my mind they seem rather crapped but if you are sailing as a childless couple then seem very suitable. Put a cockpit tent on one and it helps when moored . How many previous versions have you viewed as seeing a few might help to form a view as to what a fair price looks like.

none. this is the first boat i've ever viewed.
i'm single. The plan was to buy a boat that, i could resell in 18 months, which would hold its value, while i learned to sail, that would be forgiving and look after me in the north sea.

in the meantime i was planning to get my crew skills cert (now on hold till march due to covid)
then the coastal skipper cert
then the yatchmaster so i could do charters in and around Bermuda.

however for that i need to log 2000 miles, so thought i would buy a throw away boat, with good resale, stick a new engine in and get the same money i paid for it back, plus the joy of sailing a cult boat...

plan is to to then buy catamaran (privelege or lagoon) and charter in warmer climates for a living, depending on how much money i can save/liquidate in next 18 months... However covid now seems to be making a mockery of these plans...

...so at the very least, i can get the boat, and at some point sooner rather than later, start sailing... (one step at a time)

Last edited:

flinny

Visit site
Needs a new mast and rigging, but not a new engine. £25k, plus a new engine is an awfully expensive 1973 boat, IMO. The Contessa has a following, but in my opinion, it's a very cramped 32 foot boat.

A five minute search turned this up, as an example, there'll be others:

Westerly Fulmar Used Boat for Sale 1986 | TheYachtMarket

Volvo 30hp diesel engine (new 2015)

In mast furling mainsail (new 2016) and a furling genoa. Cruising chute.
Stainless steel standing rigging renewed 2016.

Mikuni warm air cabin heating system.

hey! thanks for the input
i read from the "is the contessa 32 really that good" thread and this was coming up as a good comparison, if not better.
the problem is, i'm just not liking the look of the lines on this boat...

the contessa 32 is more elegant and you have to really have a feeling for a boat i think.

it does, put things into focus though in terms of value for money...

steveeasy

Visit site
hey! thanks for the input
i read from the "is the contessa 32 really that good" thread and this was coming up as a good comparison, if not better.
the problem is, i'm just not liking the look of the lines on this boat...

the contessa 32 is more elegant and you have to really have a feeling for a boat i think.

it does, put things into focus though in terms of value for money...

Some get it, some don't. On the water the lines are perfection. The only boat with better lines is a Twister. both sell very well. not too bad to sail either!!

Steveeasy

ashtead

Visit site
If it’s your first boat I would be looking for something newer and more mass market but clearly you might be a n engineer for whom an aged diesel holds no issues. Set your budget and let foruminites know and I’m sure many will give choices for a 32 ft boat . Look at a few more though before making your decision as it’s very easy to buy a boat but much harder to sell it. Maybe a good solid Westerly or moody would offer you more but you won’t know until you’ve viewed a few. For a newbie I’m not certain a contessa is perhaps a learner boat in summary .

doug748

Visit site
none. this is the first boat i've ever viewed.
i'm single. The plan was to buy a boat that, i could resell in 18 months, which would hold its value, while i learned to sail, that would be forgiving and look after me in the north sea.

in the meantime i was planning to get my crew skills cert (now on hold till march due to covid)
then the coastal skipper cert
then the yatchmaster so i could do charters in and around Bermuda.

however for that i need to log 2000 miles, so thought i would buy a throw away boat, with good resale, stick a new engine in and get the same money i paid for it back, plus the joy of sailing a cult boat...

plan is to to then buy catamaran (privelege or lagoon) and charter in warmer climates for a living, depending on how much money i can save/liquidate in next 18 months... However covid now seems to be making a mockery of these plans...

...so at the very least, i can get the boat, and at some point sooner rather than later, start sailing... (one step at a time)

Hi finny welcome,

I think it's highly dodgy to buy any boat with the intention of selling it quickly, there are always unexpected expenses and problems and you could get stuck with it - and/or take a big loss. This is particularly the case with an older, sought after, boat like the Contessa, where you will find few bargains.

I have to honestly say I don't think the your plan is 100% sorted. If you bought for 25k put the engine in yourself for c 6k you would be selling in a couple of years asking £32k and getting no views at all.

sarabande

Visit site
I think you are rushing in to a purchase that is not appropriate to your skillset. C32 are wetboats, albeit v tough. And as has been pointed out, the general price of the breed is high bcs of the 'elitist' classical factor.

The problems with the boat have been pointed out. Did you mention a survey by a professional ?

For the money, there are many other much better, less troublesome boats, and for less money there are ones which will take you through your planned next couple of years in more comfort, and with easier sailing and still get your money back if you look after her. If the C32 needs lots of hidden work, she will be a money pit as all the interior is built up layer by layer so, e.g. the tankage replacement (and the associated and necessary increase in size) will be a long, slow and expensive process..

I suspect that you are being led by your inexperience and over-optimism.

CAPTAIN FANTASTIC

Visit site
My personal view is that the Contessa 32 is by far too overpriced. This particular one has an original engine and therefore expect to spend £7,000 for an engine replacement. There are some very nice newer boats around at present, representing much better value for money. Good luck with your purchase.

savageseadog

Visit site
This boat was recently refitted by a boat yard in wales

Which yard?

I would look at post #16 and #18 and think carefully. I've always thought buying a boat with a dead engine was a better bet than buying a boat for more money with an ancient and/or unknown condition engine.