Contessa 26

CateH

Visit site
Hi I'm Cathy, I'm a newbie here .

Although this is my first post I hope someone kind can help me with my dilemma.

My dear Mother who is 86 and now sadly dieing of cancer. She was a very keen sailor in her day but the time has come to move on her much loved boat.

The boats name is Dolly Bird (formerly Bird of Freedom) she was built by Jack Barnes in Newport Isle of Wight, who worked for many years with Jeremy Rodgers in Lymington. She is one of only two and is constructed of Mahogany on Oak. She has not been sailed much in the last nine years but has been maintained by kind members of the sailing club. The engine was renewed about 10 years ago and has been run regularly. Her sails were renewed in 2013 and have not been used.
She is currently moored at Eling near Totton, Southampton and we have an advert on the Jeremy Rodgers brokerage web site giving all her stats.

I am not a sailor myself and am at a bit of a loss as to how to move her on, we are open to offers, maybe someone could point me in the right direction.

DownWest

Visit site
Sorry to hear about your mother, but it sounds like she much enjoyed the boat.
You might try the Wooden Ship brokerage. Then there is always Boats and Outboards.
Lots of good photos and an honest description of her will help. Classic wooden boats of that size have a fairly small market, but there are keen people if you reach them.
You might try the Wooden Boat magazine in the US, It has plenty of readers on this side of the ditch.

Last edited:

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
Sorry to hear about your mum, I would second the suggestion of the Wooden Ships brokerage website, and I believe they will photograph the boat and advise on the ad wording. She is certainly a very rare and beautiful yacht!

Last edited:

Tranona

Visit site
At the price you are asking (which seems a little low to me based on the description and photos) I doubt brokers would be interested except as a favour. apolloduck.co.uk is probably your best bet for widest exposure but be ready for dreamers and time wasters. Best if she is ashore for easy viewing.

38mess

Visit site
That's a lovely looking boat, I agree, the price is way too low, I would think around £3-4k if you are on Facebook or know someone who is Facebook market place is good for shifting boats. Good luck.

CateH

Visit site
Thank you for your prompt advise I will definately look into those suggestions. She has been sailed and so loved by my mother but I realise wooden boats are vocation. Do you think we are asking too little and maybe putting people off, she is by no means a wreck and sails beautifully, I just have so much on my plate with looking after mum and work I just want to move her on, I will get onto some of the people you guys are recommending.

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
I forgot to mention that you could place an ad with the Old Gaffers' Association, the UK's main club for old wooden yachts including bermudan rigged like yours. They have a website, a magazine called The Gaffer's Log, and a thriving Facebook page.

Tranona

Visit site
I would agree that GBP 1,500 is way too low re an asking price for your fine yacht.
Dollybird 26 | Wooden Sailing Boat for Sale

The advert just mentions an 8 hp inboard engine - I presume that it is a Yanmar diesel (re the photo), rather than a petrol engine?
Photo suggests it is a Yanmar 1GM which is just right for the boat. Values of smaller wooden boats are hugely variable and mostly in the low £000's. Much depends on the actual condition and the attraction of the design. Also important is how it can be moved from its present location, so being able to sail or motor away is an advantage as lifting onto a truck and moving only a few miles could cost almost as much as the asking price!

CateH

Visit site
I forgot to mention that you could place an ad with the Old Gaffers' Association, the UK's main club for old wooden yachts including bermudan rigged like yours. They have a website, a magazine called The Gaffer's Log, and a thriving Facebook page.
Thank you, I will defo look into them.

CateH

Visit site
Photo suggests it is a Yanmar 1GM which is just right for the boat. Values of smaller wooden boats are hugely variable and mostly in the low £000's. Much depends on the actual condition and the attraction of the design. Also important is how it can be moved from its present location, so being able to sail or motor away is an advantage as lifting onto a truck and moving only a few miles could cost almost as much as the asking price!
Thank you for your advise, she will motor or sail from where she is, the mast has been down for maintenance but up again soon so she will sail. I think you are right and I have misjudged the value. I will look into some of the good pointers received on places to advertise and definately raise the price, she is a lovely boat but in need of some of the love given in the past by mum.

jamie N

Visit site
She's a beamy Folkboat, isn't she (y).
I'd urge a 'competitive' price to get her moved along ASAP, as she'll deteriorate very swiftly otherwise. Having 'brand new' sails, and a serviceable engine are good news.
Also, with the price, are you prioritising the sale price, or leaning towards getting her to a good home?
It might be an idea to also place the advert on an auction site, to get people to bid against each other, where it's clear to them they're responsible for 'delivery'.
Good luck with this, as you SO rightly state, boats such as this are a vocation that one has to buy into fully, or not at all.

CateH

Visit site
I would like to say a big thank you to all who gave me such valuable advise, it was lovely to find kind people to help when I was at a bit of a loss as to what to do. Fortunately she sold last week to a lovely couple who are going to sail her and try and restore her to her former glory. Mum is so pleased she has gone to a good home.

Other threads that may be of interest