Contessa 26

welkman

Visit site
Hi guys,

Viewed a Contessa 26 on Sunday and fell in love with it!

However I have a couple of questions which I hope you may be able to help me with.

How well does single skin GPR construction stand the test of time? I know that foam sandwich boats can be a bit wet!

Does the Contessa justify its price at around £10,000? Or is it a better idea to buy something cheeper and spend the rest on sails etc?

Are there any similarly quick and seaworthy designs out there which I should consider?

I keep coming across the invicta 26 and just wonder how similar it is?

Also is there anyone on the South East Coast who might be interested in doing some two boat (short handed) trips in the summer?

Thanks for any help

James

Spars

Visit site
Chrissie on this forum from Endeavour Quays has one, she could give you loads of tips, had a sail on it and it was excellent.

Poignard

Visit site
The Contessa 26 is a fine seaworthy boat, but before you commit yourself have a look at www.twister.org.uk.

I was all set to buy a Contessa, then I saw a Twister and found the extra headroom [I can stand upright in her cabin] and general strength and quality of construction well worth the extra £5k or so that she cost.

2nd_apprentice

Visit site
I was also going to buy a Contessa, and there's certainly no dispute about her seaworthyness, until I realized how small she really was.
Ifyou can live without standing headroom you'll be fine. I decided not to be without but that's me!

There's a blog about a Norwegian couple circumnavigating in Bika so it can be done for sure.

welkman

Visit site
The room inside a CO26 feels palacial to me after my last boat!!!! I also am used to extended travelling in a hiking tent with two people that need to be very good friends!

I really cannot afford a twister as my upper limit for a boat would be around 10k. Apparently the invicta is to all intents and purposes a contessa 26 with slightly more head room, and is also a jeremy rodgers design.

James

Chrissie

Visit site
Yes, I love my little CO26, Ive changed the layout in mine so it has everything I could need, If you want to come to Gosport I would be happy to take you for a sail.
There are about 8 CO26's within a mile of my boat, very popular boats.
Read Tanya Abbi's Maiden Voyage, it will inspire you, she sailed round the world in a CO26 at the age of 18, and there have been many other circumnavigations by CO26 boats.

Poignard

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
.........vanity unit with sink.......

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm impresssed! That's more than I have in a Twister! A plastic washing up bowl wedged into the lavatory pan is my "vanity unit".

Fascadale

Visit site
I thought of buying a CO26 but decided they were overpriced and tiny inside.

Instead I bought an Invicta 26

Not so fashionable, not quite as pretty, slightly more room. OK with two onboard, crowded with three, brill with one.

Very similar boats, both hard, both go anywhere boats. Rumour has it that the Invicta may even be a touch quicker than the C026. (but not with me sailing it)

£8K for the Invicta, the same C0 26 would have been £12K

I thought about a Vega but wanted a transom hung rudder, as well as being a bit concerned at the vulnerability of the Vega's prop

I hope this helps.

kds

www.canongrange.co.uk
If you are looking at Invicta s, look carefully at the bond between forward bunks and sides of the boat. Flexing here has the effect of breaking this bond in a couple I have seen.
But - boy are they lovely to sail !!!
Ken

helixkimara

Visit site
I'm impresssed! That's more than I have in a Twister! A plastic washing up bowl wedged into the lavatory pan is my "vanity unit".

your not trying.,

I've got a shower, wash hand basin ,w.c and a small bath on my Twister. Miind you I've got to sleep in the bath /forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Endeavourquay

www.endeavourchandlery.co.uk
I have never seen an Invicta 26, but I would love to, any pictures of yours handy,
I had never intended buying another boat without headroom, but fell in love with the Contessa without even looking at other 26 ft boats, Anyone fancy a Boat Ralley this summer, lots of 26 ish boats all congregating for sailing and supper?

Gargleblaster

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone fancy a Boat Ralley this summer, lots of 26 ish boats all congregating for sailing and supper?

[/ QUOTE ]
Some of us are meeting up in Terceira, I understand. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fascadale

Visit site
Re: Invicta 26

1773105_4.jpg

Saxon2.jpg

Stefan04.jpg

Other nice pics

Endeavourquay

www.endeavourchandlery.co.uk
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Anyone fancy a Boat Ralley this summer, lots of 26 ish boats all congregating for sailing and supper?

[/ QUOTE ]
Some of us are meeting up in Terceira, I understand. /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Where is that?