Connecting Raymarine i50 instruments without an ST network

eddystone

Visit site
I have on my chart table a Raymarine i50 depth instrument waiting to be fitted. I intend to fit it alongside the existing i50 log on the panel above the hatch garage. which was already fitted when I bought the boat in 2013. I am fairly confident this is a self standing instrument with its own connections to power earth and transducer. I was advised by a number of sources (including Raymarine technical chat line) that I could daisy chain the i50 depth to it with the ST cable supplied to provide power and earth connections and just needed to route the transducer connections. However, I wonder if that daisy chain connection between the instruments assumes the first one is connected to an ST/NMEA2000 backbone? If the depth needs its own independent power cabling, is there an opportunity to siamese at least the earth connection. Seems increasingly difficult to have stand alone instruments these days.

prv

Visit site
The i50 series is always powered over the STng connection. If your existing instrument is powered, simply plugging an STng spur (white) cable between them will share the power with the new one.

The resulting two-device “network” won’t be a valid N2k topology (I don’t know if STng considers it valid, but probably not without at least a couple of terminators) - but a log and a sounder have little to say to each other anyway except for conveniences like sharing the display brightness setting, so it doesn’t much matter.

Pete

eddystone

Visit site
The i50 series is always powered over the STng connection. If your existing instrument is powered, simply plugging an STng spur (white) cable between them will share the power with the new one.

The resulting two-device “network” won’t be a valid N2k topology (I don’t know if STng considers it valid, but probably not without at least a couple of terminators) - but a log and a sounder have little to say to each other anyway except for conveniences like sharing the display brightness setting, so it doesn’t much matter.

Pete
Thanks for that information