Congratulations to Sailfree

colhel

Visit site
I run a 24 hour event over Midsummer Solstice, so probably 22-23rd June next year ending up at Portland 1700, having started anywhere. Miles may be added by a variety of "cruising activities" are also undertaken.
Purpose is to have some tall tales to tell during the de-brief with drink. Easy to arrange a meal too if there is sufficient support.

I'd be up for that Richard. What about an anchorage instead with a beach bbq, or is all this sunshine getting to me? :)

prv

Visit site
What about an anchorage instead with a beach bbq

Not sure there's much of that kind of thing in Portland (could be wrong, never been) but if we did and if the tides were right for me to make use of KS's party trick then I'd be delighted. She probably felt a bit small and insignificant next to all those big shiny boats at Cherbourg :D

Pete

Mudisox

Visit site
Midsummer Madness.

I do have a certain sway on the adjacent moorings to the marina, maybe even at the Academy, and the Olympic nausea doesn't start until July and the event is in June. Anchorage is available for those that want it and
This years' rules were:

Midsummer Madness Cruise 2011..
Yachts may start their cruise from anywhere and covers any continuous 24hr period from 1200 on 20th June 2010 until the main get together at the RNSA moorings in Portland Harbour, starting at 1700 21st June 2011. The choice of starting point and route to Portland is left to the individual skipper’s decision, who should be aware of the conditions and proceed in a seamanlike fashion.
Rules.
Yachts may use sail or motor to carry out the cruise, but distance under sail alone shall count for double miles. Buoys/Headlands and lights shall act as turning points [ called Waypoints]. Distances shall be measured over the ground and should include at least one leg greater than 20 miles. International Collision regulations shall apply with particular attention being made to comply with VTS schemes. A written log shall be kept and a paper chart record of the cruise with hourly information, as a minimum kept, and produced at the meet, for scrutiny.

Additional miles may be gained by;

Entry and stay in a port/harbour for 1+ hrs
[Treble miles for foreign parts]
10 miles
Anchoring for 15+mins[double if to 2 anchors]
5 miles
Launch dinghy and row ashore with +50% crew
5 miles
Man overboard practice, including recovery
5 miles
Cook a 3 course meal whilst underway
10 miles
Reef / Set storm sails
5 miles
Heave to for 10 mins for a brew
5 miles
Stream warps or lie to storm anchor.
6 miles
Construct weather map from weather forecast
12 miles
Take and plot an astro sight
15 miles
Most junior crew member to take over navigation for 4 hrs and produce 20 min fixes, by a variety of methods including tide calculations.
10 miles
Crew member to masthead
5 miles
Catch a fish [first only to count]
5 miles
Crew member to swim round ship
5 miles
Meal ashore/Pub/ices
10/7/3 miles
Shopping/postcard run
3 miles
Bake bread or cake
5 miles
Calibrate log [ Portland Hbr free of tidal stream]
5 miles
Swing compass and produce deviation table
15 miles
Dress ship overall
10 miles
Go aground or have a collision
- 25 miles

Yachts should communicate on channel 6 or flag hoist, the number of miles claimed on arrival.
The above are to be applied in the spirit of the cruise and in the event of dispute the sole judge shall be organiser.
There is no entry fee, but indications of participation in advance please to enable prize and liquid refreshment preparation. OPUS of Mudford Sock [10m Catamaran], will be the initial focus point on 21st June 2011, where your prize can be collected.

Apologies for lack of format, but it should give you an idea.

prv

Visit site
This years' rules were:

Midsummer Madness Cruise 2011..

[...]

Additional miles may be gained by;

[etc]

I rather like this idea. Bit worried that KS's small size will limit the number of miles we can travel and at the same time rule out stops for some of the shorebased tasks, but on the other hand I'm entirely up for the three course meal and bread baking, and own a set of signal flags for dressing overall (family heirloom, so old I think they're made of cotton).

Do the storm sails / trailing warps have to be under press of weather, or can you rig them for half an hour in a sunny F3 and claim the miles? (Hoping the latter!)

Have to admit I'm a bit rusty at some of the formal navigation tasks. Perhaps I'll have to ship my nav-geek friend as crew :)

Yachts should communicate on channel 6 or flag hoist, the number of miles claimed on arrival.

Extra points for signalling via flag hoist? :D

Pete

Mudisox

Visit site
I'm assuming that your small size (i.e. shallow draft?) also makes it harder to go aground for the extra 25 miles too :D

mjcp

Should be Loss of 25 miles for groundings.

On that weekend there is also the start of a round Britain Race for Cars, Boats and Planes starting from the Academy, so plenty to see/hear[pardon?]

Port Chantereyne

Visit site
Evaluation restaurants in Cherbourg

Hi Scuttlebutt rally participants,

It is great to read that you all had a nice stay in Cherbourg during the last Scuttlebutt rally in September. We would be delighted to welcome you all again next year and if there is anything we can do to help with the preparation and the organisation of your event, please feel free to contact me.

In the meantime, if you have any comments about your stay in Cherbourg incl. comments about the restaurants you tried here, please let us know.

Keep on enjoying your sailing and see you again next year!

magali.hamon@ville-cherbourg.fr
Tel: 06 87 71 09 41

Sailfree

Visit site
Magli,

Thanks for posting and your warm welcome.

I will probably be arranging next years with Ferus's help - again in September. We pick a weekend with Neap tides so that the navigation is easier for people that choose this event to make their first channel crossing. Not sure how much sailing you do but Neap tides cause less current and result in the boats being swept less to the East and West by the tide in addition if you get the wind against the tide the waves can get steeper and more difficult for smaller boats.

The afternoon gathering on the pontoon has got better each year and it helps introduce new people to the regulars. One concern I do have is that Cherbourg has now provided the sunny afternoon weather for the last 4 years but one year it must rain. You saw the size of the gathering when you briefly joined us. Is there any sheltered accomodation near the marina for an afternoon function of " wine and nibbles" if it pours with rain?

Perhaps you and your partner could join us next year for longer in the afternoon as I am sure many British boat owners would take the opportunity to ask advice on the advantages and costs of berthing in Cherbourg. Please don't reply to that last point on here as the Yachting Monthly Magazine may consider it advertising and delete your reply.

There are many great restaurants in Cherbourg but the problem always revolves around catering for 50 people. Restaurants usually require a deposit but the Yacht Club do not and accept that if there was a gale in the channel few would be able to make it. I am always open to ideas to improve the event but at present the consensus it to arrive early and eat out in small groups on the Friday night and have the Scuttlebutt dinner for everyone at the yacht club on the Saturday.

Regards
Roger

Last edited:

Port Chantereyne

Visit site
Hi Rorger,

Thanks for your post.

1 - I have looked at the tides in Cherbourg for September 2012 - neap tides are on Monday, the 11th and Monday, the 24th September. There will be less tidal ranges the weekend of the 7/8/9th September than the weekend of the 21st/22nd and 23rd September. Do you think that one of these dates would suit?Either weekend for us would work great.

2 - I will look at premises around the marina for your wine and nibbles reception if the weather is not as favorable as for the past 4 years and I will come back to you.

3 - We would love the opportunity to join your afternoon party and do a quick presentation about the marina in Cherbourg and its price structure if you think that some of the rally participants could be interested in leaving their boat in Cherbourg on a longer term.

4 - I have started to do a list of all the restaurants in Cherbourg which could cater for large groups - I ideally now need to contact them to see if they would accept a reservation with a firm confirmation only on the Friday once you know who exactly is taking part in the rally. Again I will let you know what my findings are.

Let's keep in touch for the organisation of your rally in 2012.

Best wishes,

Magali
Port Chantereyne
06 87 71 09 41

Sailfree

Visit site
Magli,

Now the 2011 event is over not many visit this forum so thrown the question of dates open on the main Scuttlebutt forum and referred to these threads.

Let see what other prefer - I tried to please the most people.