Congratulations Rory McDougall

Independence

Visit site
Congratulations Rory on receiving your Jester Medal. I can't think of anyone more deserving. Outstanding seamanship and an example to us all.

Paul

sarabande

Visit site
a couple of years ago Rory bought two masts and a load of other Wharram catamaran kit from me for a client's boat on which he was working. We had been chatting for over an hour before the penny dropped as to who he was and what he had achieved.

You would be hard put to meet a more pleasant and well-grounded person. It must be the sailing wot does it !

snorkmaiden

Visit site
Rory helped me out when I needed to get take our boat from Falmouth to France a couple of years ago (or is it 4!). Completely un-fussed and a pleasure to sail with.

Gargleblaster

Visit site
What did he do?

Jester Medal – Rory McDougall s/v Cooking Fat

The Jester Medal, awarded to a member or non-member who has achieved a noteworthy single-handed voyage in a vessel of 30ft or less overall, goes to Rory McDougall. Rory built his own boat at a young age and made a solo circumnavigation in it. Rory’s boat, a Wharram Tiki 21 design, is a very small catamaran designed for coastal trekking with minimal accommodation.

Rory McDougall holds the record as the person who has sailed the smallest catamaran (21ft LOA) round the world. He accomplished this voyage between 1991 and 1997 with a lengthy break in New Zealand. He sailed long stretches single-handed and some of it with one crew. He did a remarkable voyage, encountering very severe weather on a number of occasions. He has been an excellent contributor to the Jester Challenge, and despite the small size and slightness of his boat, only missed out on being first to Newport by a few hours in 2010.

Rory McDougall

BIO

For Rory, following your dreams is a mantra he lives by. At 19 Rory's dream was to circumnavigate with the smallest multihull. He built Cookie, a Wharram Tiki 21 catamaran near Totnes, Devon in 1991. Six years of incredible adventures later, Rory had sailed round the globe and voyaged far within himself. Cookie became the smallest catamaran to circle the world. 13 years on with adventures of marriage and family life being enjoyed, it was also time to test the Rory & Cookie partnership again! Rory entered the Jester Challenge 2010 from Plymouth to Newport, following the footsteps of the OSTAR. 34 days of upwind struggle, Cookie was pipped to the post by just 2 hours. It is believed Cookie is the smallest catamaran to sail the upwind route across the North Atlantic. Cookie now rests on a River Exe mooring, patiently awaiting the nest adventure with Rory....... For more details see www.roryandcookie.com or www.roryandcookie.blogspot.co.uk