Confidential reporting

MarkJohnson12345

www.markjohnsonafloat.org.uk
"On the subject of unmarked pots, I honestly don't know why we don't all simply cut the lines of those we find. This would be the simplest and most effective way of solving this problem. "

I have better things to do when sailing than spending a lot of time and effort in cutting lobster pot lines.

In the West country, along the north Devon and Cornwall coast there are plenty of lobster pots. If I keep a good look out, I see them in plenty of time. At night time its a bit more difficult I admit.

Besides I am not looking for trouble from fishermen with large powerful boats. And we are the one who want to buy their catches.

Our seas in the west are generally open and navigation is not restricted. If yours navigational restrictions elsewhere in the country are more severe, then I can understand a problem.

Suggest that pot markers are lit somehow. Would be wonderfull for my LED light business!!!!!! /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif /forums/images/graemlins/cool.gif

regards

jcmmarine

Visit site
Caught off Hillhead yesterday afternoon on Port Prop, Fortunaly travelling slow and stoped as soon as felt, no sign of a float before or after. Went over the side and cut the rope and cleared the prop, water suprisingly warm for October. No problem - fortunatly - Grandchildren found it entertaining.

My question is, had I managed to hang on the the pot line and hoisted aboard, could I have legaly have kept the pot and/or any lobsters within.

BrendanS

Visit site
better to haul the pot out and take the lobster, than to drop the pot and leave the lobster die as it won't be able to feed in the pot. Leave the pot on nearest fishing quay to be reused?

jmh2929

Visit site
re:- thanks for link. Actually i recognised the website as soon as I saw it. I gave up on it last time as all i could see was a means of downloadind the form, printing it out, filling it in and putting it in the post.

Highlander2

www.ormistonhighlands.com
I know a lot of creel fishermen from around our part of the country and many of them simply could not afford to put large markers with radar reflectors and lights on the ends of every fleet of creels they have. Especially the smaller guys who only have a few creels in each fleet, they would need to spend thousands on the all of the equipment required and most are already extremly marginal and cannot afford this kind of investment. They can barely maintain their boats and feed their families as it is and invest in the curent equipment.
Where we live dhan bouys and radar refelctors are quickly destroyed by the gales and the weather in the winter months so you would be constantly replacing them.
You need to see it from both sides.

TimDaniel

Visit site
I like the guy above who wants to go out looking for unmarked invisible pot markers and then cut them off! ...... How do you find an unmarked invisible pot marker?

Highlander2

www.ormistonhighlands.com
Yes it is pretty funny but apparently yachts are quite good at finding them by themselves.
But joking aside I would not want to face the wrath of the Mallaig fishermen if I got caught cutting the leaders on fleets of creels - would you ????

mikepowell

Visit site
Hi Dave,

On the CHIRP homepage top left(ish) there's a submit report button. You'll be asked to enter some address details and then press "submit". Once you've done that you will be presented with the rest of the form for report entry and submission on-line.

Mike

hshaky

Visit site
From Weymouth to Plymouth it is dreadful.

Out to west channel light is bad.

As soon as we reach the Frenchies the pots are all marked with a standard flag.

As usual in Britain it is too much trouble, dont care or up yours to the Power Boats.

In these days of litigation I would, if a potter, be a bit more careful although most may have little to lose.