Commercial Vessel Nav Lights

rgsmg53

Visit site
The cruise ship Marco Polo quietly slipped out of Avonmouth last night en route, I believe, to the breakers .

When she passed me, she was showing an all round red light atop the mast well above the forward steaming light. Does anyone know what this signifies on a (presumably) empty cruise ship? If she was a tanker, I could understand and I doubt she was 'engaged in fishing'!

Any thoughts anyone?

rgsmg53

Visit site
Yes but there was no all round white above the red and all the times when she's gone past in service (presumably with a pilot aboard) she has never shown the all round red.

Thinking about it, doesn't all round white above red signify 'vessel engaged in pilot operations' eg a pilot cutter?

PilotWolf

Visit site
Could have just been forgotten after bunkering.

Or they have a dangerous cargo aboard.

It also seems to be a status symbol here in the US to have one on your mast - the higher the better... totally in breach of IRPCS but then I’ve got the feeling a lot of boaters here have never heard of them anyway.

PW

rgsmg53

Visit site
Could have just been forgotten after bunkering.

Or they have a dangerous cargo aboard.

It also seems to be a status symbol here in the US to have one on your mast - the higher the better... totally in breach of IRPCS but then I’ve got the feeling a lot of boaters here have never heard of them anyway.

PW
Forgotten after bunkering certainly could be an explanation as she'd been languishing in Avonmouth since start of Lockdown I during which time Cruise & Maritime went bust.