Commercial requirements for YM renewals

PilotWolf

Visit site
So apparently the RYA won’t accept any medical signed by a USA doctor.

Strange as my last ENG1 was signed by a US doctor under MCA authority.

Still awaiting MCA clarification.

They apparently will accept a certain Norwegian one so I’m headed down that route tomorrow. However it’d still be a US doctor signing it...

W.

Last edited:

PilotWolf

Visit site
So the official MCA stand is the USA isn’t recognised despite being STCW compliant.

The ML5 can only be signed by a GMC registered doctor as it a medical only for UK inland waterways and RYA certificates.

Yet the Norwegian one (still waiting to hear back on details) is acceptable.

Both are happy to take my £ though...

Feeling a little pissed off as submitted a job application that requires the YM but when they found mine needed renewal and the medical issues preventing that they decided ‘not to proceed further’.

PW

jointventureII

Visit site
I'm not sure I'd even bother asking - I'd just do the Norwegian medical and be done with it.

This is from the RYA website regarding renews of commercial endorsements:
"The majority of Approved Doctors are now offering ENG1 medical examinations. Where a candidate is unable to gain access to an ML5 medical examination they should seek to gain an ENG1 or equivalent seafarer medical fitness certificate."

Meaning the Norwegian is acceptable. The guy that I go to, is Italian but authorised to give out the Norwegian medical and thus it's all good.

PilotWolf

Visit site
I'm not sure I'd even bother asking - I'd just do the Norwegian medical and be done with it.

This is from the RYA website regarding renews of commercial endorsements:
"The majority of Approved Doctors are now offering ENG1 medical examinations. Where a candidate is unable to gain access to an ML5 medical examination they should seek to gain an ENG1 or equivalent seafarer medical fitness certificate."

Meaning the Norwegian is acceptable. The guy that I go to, is Italian but authorised to give out the Norwegian medical and thus it's all good.

Unfortunately with the lockdown things aren’t so simple.

All I want to do is find the easiest and cheapest way to renew my YM and then get the ENG1 if a job needs it.

As said waiting to hear back from the local Norwegian approved doctor.

W