Commercial requirements for YM renewals

PilotWolf

Visit site
I just received my renewal notice for my YM commercial

I was going to let it lapse but now I might come back to the UK so might be useful.

Anyway it asks for the various documents and says I have to have the practical standards test pass.

I can’t seem to find out if I have to repeat this? Or is once enough?

I’ve tried emailing without luck and can’t afford to call internationally with a potentially long hold.

It’s going to be a real pain doing it from here anyway. I can’t remember what I did last time. Except flying to the east coast for my ENG1.

Thanks

W.

Uricanejack

Visit site
As far as I know the a DOT MCA certificate is good for life.
its the continued proficiency endorsement which expires after 5 years.
if you have proof of 12 months sea time in the five years , plus valid medical and any new embuggarences the IMO & STCW have added.
just show up pay fee and the rubber stamp is applied.

alternative if lacking the required 12 months time. 3 months as SN or an oral exam refresher. Not entirely sure.

I would presume the RYA endorsement Is similar. Tests only applying if you lack what ever the RYA require as Sea time during the 5 years.

if you knock on MCA door with a Valid US cert Plus proof of sea time. Medical ect. I imagine rubber stamp would be applied.

if RYA is problematic. Don’t bother with them. Just go see MCA and apply for certificate of equivalency for your US certificate
you would need to show proof of understand of English and UK law or regs.
Depending on level of US cert YM might suffice.
Coming from America proving sufficient understanding of English:):)

Last edited:

PilotWolf

Visit site
As far as I know the a DOT MCA certificate is good for life.
its the continued proficiency endorsement which expires after 5 years.
if you have proof of 12 months sea time in the five years , plus valid medical and any new embuggarences the IMO & STCW have added.
just show up pay fee and the rubber stamp is applied.

alternative if lacking the required 12 months time. 3 months as SN or an oral exam refresher. Not entirely sure.

I would presume the RYA endorsement Is similar. Tests only applying if you lack what ever the RYA require as Sea time during the 5 years.

if you knock on MCA door with a Valid US cert Plus proof of sea time. Medical ect. I imagine rubber stamp would be applied.

if RYA is problematic. Don’t bother with them. Just go see MCA and apply for certificate of equivalency for your US certificate
you would need to show proof of understand of English and UK law or regs.
Depending on level of US cert YM might suffice.
Coming from America proving sufficient understanding of English:):)

I’m from the UK originally!

W.

Uricanejack

Visit site
According to the RYA website,
To revalidate a commercial endorsement only 150 days seatime in the last 5 years is required. Plus a valid medical. There appears to be some kind of leeway even if you don’t have the 150 if you can show you have been working somewhere around a boat for half the time.
there is also an extension of certificates and medical due to covid.

good luck with it, doesn’t look like you will have a problem. Even if it expires just revalidate when you get back.

PilotWolf

Visit site
Yeah I’m great full for the
Medical extension s saves me have to fly from California to Florida.

It’s just a hassle trying to
do it all from here effectively on dial up.

W.

Greg2

Visit site
According to the RYA website,
To revalidate a commercial endorsement only 150 days seatime in the last 5 years is required. Plus a valid medical. There appears to be some kind of leeway even if you don’t have the 150 if you can show you have been working somewhere around a boat for half the time.
there is also an extension of certificates and medical due to covid.

good luck with it, doesn’t look like you will have a problem. Even if it expires just revalidate when you get back.

I can’t quote the regs but at work we have to confirm that people have had sufficient sea time to remain current to renew commercial endorsement - pretty sure no number of days is specified - in fact confident that it wasn’t but it may have changed.

PilotWolf

Visit site
Sea time isn’t an issue. I just read the letter as requires the new course and test they introduced. I did it last time but not sure if I have to again.

W.

Greg2

Visit site
Sea time isn’t an issue. I just read the letter as requires the new course and test they introduced. I did it last time but not sure if I have to again.
W.

If you mean the actual YM course and test I can’t see that you would have to do that again. it would make no sense although I will say that the RYA approach doesn't always appear to be the most pragmatic.

PilotWolf

Visit site
No, they introduced an additional test for the commercial endorsement - I can’t remember the name but it was something like professional standards.

W

If you mean the actual YM course and test I can’t see that you would have to do that again. it would make no sense although I will say that the RYA approach doesn't always appear to be the most pragmatic.

Greg2

Visit site

mm42

Visit site
Ah, I think you are referring to the Professional Practice and Responsibilities certificate
It can be done online if you have the reference material with you and it does have to be re-taken at every renewal of commercial endorsement.

It doesn't have to be re-taken when you renew your commercial endorsement, the requirement is if you're renewing your CE and haven't previously completed the PPR then you need to do it, not that you need to renew it every 5 years.

Greg2

Visit site
It doesn't have to be re-taken when you renew your commercial endorsement, the requirement is if you're renewing your CE and haven't previously completed the PPR then you need to do it, not that you need to renew it every 5 years.

Perhaps you are right, in fact I hope so because I don’t particularly want to do it again but my understanding is that, like STCW95, it needs to be refreshed. As I say, very happy to be wrong:)

PilotWolf

Visit site
Best laid plans...

Thanks to a great friend I had a way to pay for the renewal.

Got everything together.

Went to safe for ENG1 to copy and find I’m outside the expiration plus the covid extension.

Only MCA approved doctors here - all 3 - are in Florida. So guess that idea is now out the window.

Airfare $200 minimum
Exam $175
Hotel $100
Other travel $75
Food < $50

Guess it would count as essential travel...

Waiting to hear from MCA if they’ll give me a waiver and accept my current USCG medical in lieu but they don’t seem to answer emails.

ML5 might be a temporary answer for renewal if they’ll accept a US doctor doing it and I can find one willing at a sensible price.

No MCA doctors in Canada or Mexico as may have been cheaper.

I guess there isn’t the market on the west coast to make it worth the doctors effort/expense. Don’t know if the MCA charge them?

W.

jointventureII

Visit site
See if you can get the Norwegian medical, which is also approved. We don't have an MCA doctor nearby but one does the Norwegian medical.

For MCA certs it's accepted so maybe check RYA is the same first

PilotWolf

Visit site