Coasting by Jonathan Raban

RobBrown

Visit site
Originally produced in 1986, but reading it for the first time. 4 year journey round the UK but nothing like a travelogue. Bit of social commentary, bit of autobiography a bit of diatribe and a lot else besides Very opinionated, I dont agree with it all, but very well written and additionally interesting to read it throught the lens of 25 years.

LittleSister

Me Norfolk/Suffolk border - Boat Deben & Southwold
Visit site
If you liked that try 'Passage to Juneau'. Brilliant book. One of my favourites of all time. More recent, more personal, complex and fascinating. On the face of it it's about sailing from Seattle to Alaska, but that's just the bones on which a lot of diverse stories and ideas are woven together (if you'll excused the mixed metaphor!).

I first came across it while I was Christmas shopping some years back. I bought it for myself. By next mroning I'd finished it, and gone back to the shop to buy their remaining 5 copies for various friends. Have re-read it seveeral times, and each time just seems richer.

Babylon

Visit site
Read 'Passage to Juneau' recently and found it heavy going - I'll not be rushing to R shelves of the library.

That's because its really about his divorce! And the indigenous Indians, and fish, and lots else besides.

Back to 'Coasting'... my favourite bit is when the sound of his engine running reminds him of the then current Sun headline: Up Your Junta, Up Your Junta, UpYourJunta, UpYourJunta.

I seem to recall that 'Coasting' was also about lots of other things: his relationship with his father - 'going boating, eh?' - some mysterious woman in Essex, fabulous social observations, the state of England in the early 1980s, etc.

jhr

jamesrichardsonconsultants.co.uk
Originally produced in 1986, but reading it for the first time. 4 year journey round the UK but nothing like a travelogue. Bit of social commentary, bit of autobiography a bit of diatribe and a lot else besides Very opinionated, I dont agree with it all, but very well written and additionally interesting to read it throught the lens of 25 years.

It's a long time since I've read it but it's an excellent read even if, as stated, it's not entirely about sailing. The voyage is really a launch pad for all sorts of observations and thoughts about the state of the nation and other such stuff, as already said.

His observations about Studland are interesting: iirc various comments about perverts lurking in the sand dunes of the naturist beach, long before seahorse-stalking became de rigeur :)

DNL

Visit site
Read Coasting not long after it came out, then several years ago when I was searching for a boat. Now have the boat and am reading it again with my own first hand knowledge. A wonderful read, takes you back to the 80's while examining Englishness via the sea, himself and his own upbringing. Honest, real, critical, and self-deprecating, rather melancholy, now a classic.

steve yates

Visit site
Yes. I read them a very long time ago and would enjoy reading them again.

I wonder what became of Jonathan Raban. Did he write any more books?

Quite a few, just google him. There is one about a guy sailing back to england I believe, I remember looking at it on amazon, but it was quite dear (out of print prob) but I've never been able to find it again.

Poignard

Visit site
Quite a few, just google him. There is one about a guy sailing back to england I believe, I remember looking at it on amazon, but it was quite dear (out of print prob) but I've never been able to find it again.
Just had a look and I notice two more of his books that I'd read, and enjoyed:

'Bad Lands' and 'Old Glory'

GeeW

Visit site
Having bought a copy of 'Coasting' after having spotted this thread I agree, nicely written and was well worth the read.

Gordon

Aquaboy

Visit site
Halve way through "Passage" for the second time at the moment. A brilliant read.
I found "Coasting" less mature having just finished "Passage To Juneau" for the first time. Hence the second visit....... if you follow?

If you really have time to spare follow the route on google earth

Stingo

Visit site
I've read one of Raban's books. He's the sort of pretentious author that uses uncommon words when a more well known or understood word would have made the ordeal of having to constantly consult a dictionary less tedious. I won't be bothering with another of his diatribes again.

Last edited by a moderator:

Seajet

Visit site
IdiotNoob,

that's your hard luck; I've read a few of Rabans' books and find him a very fine writer indeed - among other things he wrote the foreword for the latest edition of ' Once Is Enough ' by Miles Smeeton; a true seagoing classic of the highest order - previous contributors to the foreword included my favourite author Nevil Shute, so he is in rather good company.

Hydrozoan

Visit site
I enjoyed Passage to Juneau and so did madame initially, though uncharacteristically she did not finish it - possibly when there was more on the detailed sailing side.