CO26: Lower Shrouds dims

Gazza_G

Visit site
Hi there,

My recently purchased Contessa 26 needs the lower shrouds replacing. The last owner had no turnbuckles, but bits of string [!!]

Any fellow owners here who can measure up their rig so i have SOME idea to work from?

The cables i took off are 4.15 and 4.11m

Thanks in advance!

Poignard

Visit site

Gazza_G

Visit site
I'd be cautious about copying what other boats have in case changes have been made from the original designs.

You might find this helpful: Replacing your Standing Rigging a step by step guide - Jimmy Green Marine

Also the Contessa 26 Association Contessa 26 | Contessa 26 Association

Nice boats by the way. I was going to buy one but then I got tempted by a Twister!
i was thinking that even if i get within 50mm - should be ok as the t/buckles will help me fine-tune... no?

Poignard

Visit site
i was thinking that even if i get within 50mm - should be ok as the t/buckles will help me fine-tune... no?
I would have thought so, or more if the turnbuckles will allow it, but usually measurements are taken from the points of contact when placing an order and the supplier allows for sufficient adjustment.

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
'Bits of string'? Had she been converted to deadeyes and lanyards I wonder?
You could go further, and order some tan sails!

Gazza_G

Visit site
I would have thought so, or more if the turnbuckles will allow it, but usually measurements are taken from the points of contact when placing an order and the supplier allows for sufficient adjustment.
this is why ANY benchmark dim will be good

Gazza_G

Visit site
I'd be cautious about copying what other boats have in case changes have been made from the original designs.

You might find this helpful: Replacing your Standing Rigging a step by step guide - Jimmy Green Marine

Also the Contessa 26 Association Contessa 26 | Contessa 26 Association

Nice boats by the way. I was going to buy one but then I got tempted by a Twister!

Thanks - CO26 seems unable or unwilling to share - maybe no one has that dim?
Jimmy was good, but am not sure of his idea - seems over complex

DownWest

Visit site
Thanks - CO26 seems unable or unwilling to share - maybe no one has that dim?
Jimmy was good, but am not sure of his idea - seems over complex
Humm, you are asking the question and Green has been doing it for years. ... What is complicated? BTW lashings instead of turnbuckles are an OK if using one of the new generation 'strings', as is the whole rig.
The other possibility is to order up the stays with the top swaged on and use a Stalok or Norseman fitting on the lower end, with whatever turnbuckle you fancy. Just order the stays a little too long and cut to fit.
I find S3i quite reasonable priced on this.

I used lashings on a little boat, when I looked up the breaking strain, the lashings exceeded the wire! (OK, six bits of string, verses one of wire, but you get the idea)

Tranona

Visit site
I would not take anybody elses measurements - you have to measure your specific boat. You will find that boats vary considerably because of changes to masts, fittings and type of rigging screws used. If you already have shrouds use those as a starting point, allow for the length of your rigging screws and follow DownWest's suggestion.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
The other possibility is to order up the stays with the top swaged on and use a Stalok or Norseman fitting on the lower end, with whatever turnbuckle you fancy. Just order the stays a little too long and cut to fit.
I've just done this job on my boat, copying the original stays. It all seems to have worked OK (the mast was still up when I left her yesterday) but the rigger would like the cap shrouds shortened a little so he can get them even tighter, so next week I shall go down with my trust spanner, spike, junior hacksaw and bag of Norseman cones and shorten them both by an inch.

Once I had the knack the Norseman fittings were very easy to fit, but the single 6mm Sta-lok on the forestay was a pain because the slot in the cone was much bigger than the strands of wire, which kept falling into it. I hope I got it solved in the end.

andsarkit

Visit site
I have my old rigging from the original Proctor mast from 1969. I could measure it but you would do better to measure yours if you can get ladder up to the crosstrees. If you are anywhere near Devon you are welcome to the old rigging to do a trial run. I think both my lowers were the same length. I will be up in Lymington next month for a 26 meeting if that is any help.