Clyde Marinas

dunedin

Visit site
It's looking like it's Largs then! The only previous time that I have been to Kip was by road about 15 years ago and the burn that runs through the marina was an absolute raging torrent. All the boats at that end of the marina were either being blasted against their pontoons or were stretching at their ropes. Not a good thing to see.

Good choice - make sure you ask about this Special Welcome Offer

JumbleDuck

Visit site
When we had a boat at Rhu, it was pretty but also pretty repetitive doing the legs from Rhu past Cloch to Toward. Each weekend tended to be Largs, Rothesay or Colintraive (we had kids on board, so 10 hour days were not a preference).
I was based in the Gareloch (mooring at Clynder) for a couple of years and had a similar experience. Shorter trips to Ardentinny, Carrick Castle and Lochgoilhead; longer ones always had that three hour bash to and from Toward. Not that the upper Clyde isn't nice, but it's more limited and I am not personally enamoured of the omnipresent carriers of genocide.

mrangry

Visit site
I looked at this choice last year noting the following points:

Rhu - Too far away from sailing grounds and not particularly cheap
James Watt - Easy access by road and reasonable amenities nearby but a slog to sail anywhere from Greenock. Cheapest in Clyde alongside Ardrossan.
Kip - Sheltered, good road access. Shocking marina management and overpriced
Largs - By far the best position for sailing grounds being sheltered with reasonable road access. Good amenities but the berthing costs were eye watering compared to the others
Ardrossan - Good road access, excellent staff onsite, not the best amenities nearby but Asda and railway station. Can be rough in certain conditions entering or leaving
Troon - Good marina with good access and amenities nearby. Too far south really for sailing anywhere

I also considered others like Portavadie, Port Bannatyne and Holy Loch but their prices didnt really reflect the extra travel distance from the central belt. I ended up for now at Ardrossan being the least expensive alongside James Watt. Whilst I liked Largs I just couldn't stomach paying £2500 over what James Watt or Ardrossan for an annual berth. After launching I may consider a swing mooring but I have been spoiled on a marina berth so will have to check out the rates before deciding

scottie

Visit site
I looked at this choice last year noting the following points:

Rhu - Too far away from sailing grounds and not particularly cheap
James Watt - Easy access by road and reasonable amenities nearby but a slog to sail anywhere from Greenock. Cheapest in Clyde alongside Ardrossan.
Kip - Sheltered, good road access. Shocking marina management and overpriced
Largs - By far the best position for sailing grounds being sheltered with reasonable road access. Good amenities but the berthing costs were eye watering compared to the others
Ardrossan - Good road access, excellent staff onsite, not the best amenities nearby but Asda and railway station. Can be rough in certain conditions entering or leaving
Troon - Good marina with good access and amenities nearby. Too far south really for sailing anywhere

I also considered others like Portavadie, Port Bannatyne and Holy Loch but their prices didnt really reflect the extra travel distance from the central belt. I ended up for now at Ardrossan being the least expensive alongside James Watt. Whilst I liked Largs I just couldn't stomach paying £2500 over what James Watt or Ardrossan for an annual berth. After launching I may consider a swing mooring but I have been spoiled on a marina berth so will have to check out the rates before deciding
Did you get your propeller sorted out?

mrangry

Visit site
Did you get your propeller sorted out?
Hi Scottie no not yet. Shes out the water and cant see anything obviously wrong with the folder. I am trying to find out what fixed 3 blade size and pitch she came with originally before I decide on a new Darglow feathering unit or a grubby old 3 blade fixed

roblpm

Visit site
Your "Domestic Management" may well be an absolute block to a swinging mooring but anchorages like Ashton with membership of the RGYC with its boatman and launch offers a less cost heavy solution. Does mean 6 months ashore or in a marina for the winter months, though.

At the risk of thread drift.... How do you find it? All this talk of marinas is making me feel a bit poor....

JumbleDuck

Visit site
I also considered others like Portavadie, Port Bannatyne and Holy Loch but their prices didnt really reflect the extra travel distance from the central belt. I ended up for now at Ardrossan being the least expensive alongside James Watt. Whilst I liked Largs I just couldn't stomach paying £2500 over what James Watt or Ardrossan for an annual berth.
Since Largs charge £463/m and Ardrossan charge £354/m, I deduce that your boat is 22.9m long.

Spyro

Visit site
It's looking like it's Largs then! The only previous time that I have been to Kip was by road about 15 years ago and the burn that runs through the marina was an absolute raging torrent. All the boats at that end of the marina were either being blasted against their pontoons or were stretching at their ropes. Not a good thing to see.
Largs is a good choice as long as you don’t mind it being more than £1000 a year more expensive than Ardrossan for a boat around 32ft

awol

Visit site
At the risk of thread drift.... How do you find it? All this talk of marinas is making me feel a bit poor....
Just follow the signs to Western Ferries;)
I have known the place all my life and much prefer the swinging mooring to parking in a boat lot but then a longish keel isn't very marina friendly. Anchorage is maybe a bit open, Cardwell Bay is more sheltered but the services of Phil, the boatman, and the launch make boarding very simple and convenient + he is remarkable in his observation of problems. Club is friendly and has a long history of racing though could do with rekindling. Cost ~£450 p.a. membership plus a mooring, say £1000 to buy, and ~£200 service per year. There is a strong connection with JWD.

scottie

Visit site
Just follow the signs to Western Ferries;)
I have known the place all my life and much prefer the swinging mooring to parking in a boat lot but then a longish keel isn't very marina friendly. Anchorage is maybe a bit open, Cardwell Bay is more sheltered but the services of Phil, the boatman, and the launch make boarding very simple and convenient + he is remarkable in his observation of problems. Club is friendly and has a long history of racing though could do with rekindling. Cost ~£450 p.a. membership plus a mooring, say £1000 to buy, and ~£200 service per year. There is a strong connection with JWD.
Subject to tides and wash from passing traffic not the place you would linger any more than needed

awol

Visit site
Subject to tides and wash from passing traffic not the place you would linger any more than needed
Absolutely! It's a place to keep your boat and from which to go sailing. If you want to climb the mast, do what I do and pop round to Kip or JWD. If you want a night on board, pop over to Holy Loch, Ardentinny, Lunderston Bay, etc. depending on the wind and drop the hook - all give a much better view in the morning than a marina.

Stooriefit

Visit site
I've been in all of these marinas over the years. Like the OP I'm the same journey time from all of the Clyde based ones and so that ceases to be an issue. One thing you should consider is how much time you want to sail rather than motor. One of the things that annoyed me about Rhu was the time I spent motoring to get anywhere (ie to the Kyles and beyond).

I'm currently at Ardrossan and whilst I agree with the comments about the town and sea at the entrance (in certain wind strengths / directions) you will get a lot of actual sailing. Seldom do I have to motor anywhere and I find it a pleasure to actually set the sails up and sit back and enjoy the ride for several hours. Having been in Troon over the years as well the same applies. The staff at both are excellent.

I don't know if Largs has changed but I always felt a second class citizen - at that time there was a large, I think, Sunsail fleet which seemed to be the most important thing. Also any events being organised by the sailing club caused thecae parking to be full. In my experience the toilets were always a state and I used the sailing club ones instead. But things may have changed......

Kip annoyed me to moving my boat twice during one season without as much as a phone call......

dunedin

Visit site
I don't know if Largs has changed but I always felt a second class citizen - at that time there was a large, I think, Sunsail fleet which seemed to be the most important thing. Also any events being organised by the sailing club caused thecae parking to be full. In my experience the toilets were always a state and I used the sailing club ones instead. But things may have changed............

Sounds like your Largs experience is a decade or more out of date. Sun sail have been gone from Largs for a very long time. And I have never found the toilets to be “in a state”.

The marina parking is behind a barrier, separate from the Sailing Club and public car parks. The marina car parks have also been extended and much more tarmac area in summer.

Clearly when very big events are on, such as an Optimist National Championship, the marina car parking area is used as well. But everybody I know is proud for a large to be hosting young sailors, and it is “all hands to the pumps“ to help.
(Indeed our boat was committee boat for one major Olympic class World Championships)

Kikitoo

Visit site
May I suggest that when you can, you pop down the coast, take s look yourself, talk to the marinas, get quotes, decide what takes your fancy. Everyone has views, everyone has different criteria and depth of pockets. And I speak from 20 plus years around the Clyde, all different but finding is part of the experience. All good fun, just enjoy your new adventure!

iain789

Visit site
I was in Troon for 10 tears before I moved to Craobh. Much is made of the swell at the harbour mouth, but I never found it a problem. I try not to sail in SW gales!
The outer harbour is perfect for setting the sails, organising fenders and preparing the boat for sea, the staff are helpful and friendly, Troon has good choice of places to eat and drink, including Scotts at the marina.
It is indeed 12 miles of open sea before you get anywhere of interest, but if you are interested in sailing that should be a positive attribute. If you are planning to go up the West Coast or to Ireland you are 10 miles closer to the Mull of Kintyre than Largs. The marina is completely sheltered with no problem of swell inside the harbour, and only the most violent of storms will prevent use of the pontoons
Have a good look at Troon before you decide!