Closing uk marinas

BruceK

Visit site
There seem to be a significant number of well washed and reasonably educated that are incapable or don't give two hoots as well, just read back though this and similar threads on Scuttlebutt.
et al

Events overtake us. The message before was social distancing, the message now lockdown. What I had planned was as socially distanced as you can get and quite frankly far safer for me and family. It still would be. The difference here was the huge influx of tourists who thought it was a holiday. Big difference with bigger consequences.

bbriansim

Visit site
Premier marina email just received telling me I can no longer come to the boat so lockdown, I think they can deactivate the fobs.
What do live aboards do.
Port solent is quite busy and a few boats going in and out of the marina.

bbriansim

Visit site
The Premier marina email says they are happy to let contractors have the keys to work on the boat, so I can pay someone to go and clean the boat but I am not allowed to, is that strange? and presumably live aboards are ok to use the marina.
I don't have a problem with the marina being locked down but it doesn't sound as if it is.

CLB

Visit site
Premier marina email just received telling me I can no longer come to the boat so lockdown, I think they can deactivate the fobs.
What do live aboards do.
Port solent is quite busy and a few boats going in and out of the marina.

Most marinas do not allow live aboards. This will flush them out and cause them big problems no doubt.

Blue Sunray

Visit site
I understand your sentiment. However, remember that the govt list of 'key workers' is as long as your arm. Financial workers are included and London has no shortage of those. Lots of folks still going to work because their employer expects them to, not because they want to. Clarification on specific key workers needs to come ASAP. I know plenty of people in this category who would like to stay home but are being told 'business as usual'.

...and some genius (Mayor of London) cut more than half the trains meaning that the key workers have no choice but to crowd if they are going to get to work. Guess what is likely to happen to these key workers in 5-14 days?

andy59

Visit site
...and some genius (Mayor of London) cut more than half the trains meaning that the key workers have no choice but to crowd if they are going to get to work. Guess what is likely to happen to these key workers in 5-14 days?
If key workers have some sort of ID couldn't they use black cabs (paid by gov) they have screens dividing front/back, got to be safer than tube !!

BruceK

Visit site
My understanding is you need to register with the local council and the marina as a liveaboard. i.e. your berth is classed as a residential berth. (I've seen BT lines going to some). Whether the latter includes any increment fees is largely irrelevant. But if you have liveaboard status on a residential berth then, absolutely, they have every right to be aboard and yes, the marina as their effective landlord has an obligation towards them in accordance with any contractual agreement. What next, throw renters out of their accommodation too? Sounds like petty sour grapes to me.

ari

Visit site
Swansea Marina has closed and the Marina fees suspended until re opened.

This is astonishingly generous of them, but I don't understand why - presumably the boats are still there?

I wouldn't expect a refund on my marina berth (not that I've been offered one!) because I'm still using it - my boat is in it.

It's not the marina's fault that I can't use the boat.

Blue Sunray

Visit site
If key workers have some sort of ID couldn't they use black cabs (paid by gov) they have screens dividing front/back, got to be safer than tube !!

I don't think you've grasped the numbers and distances involved, don't forget than many of these workers are on relatively low pay and thus are commuting long distances from where they can afford to live (and no outside certain sectors (mostly government and NHS) they will not have obvious ID systems). One thing I would do is open the Royal Parks as temporary car parks as has been done in the past during rail strikes.

oldgit

Visit site
My understanding is you need to register with the local council and the marina as a liveaboard. i.e. your berth is classed as a residential berth. (I've seen BT lines going to some). Whether the latter includes any increment fees is largely irrelevant. But if you have liveaboard status on a residential berth then, absolutely, they have every right to be aboard and yes, the marina as their effective landlord has an obligation towards them in accordance with any contractual agreement. What next, throw renters out of their accommodation too? Sounds like petty sour grapes to me.

There are very few boatyards or marinas , which officially allow livabords. However many folks just keep their heads down and the managements mind there own business grateful for a little extra security 24/7.
We have one residential marina locally, there is waiting list and its not cheap.

longjohnsilver

Visit site
There are live aboards in my marina in Plymouth. I’ve just had an email saying that they are required to sign a disclaimer to continue living on board. No idea what the text of the disclaimer is, but I guess most if not all will sign it.

Assassin

Visit site

Fine to a point, but as the virus allegedly lingers for up to 72 hours on solid surfaces it doesn't cure the problem, it merely takes one infected worker to potentially infect everyone using the cab after them.

EugeneR

Visit site
Herd immunity.

That’s the correct approach btw , not total isolation as it’s OUT now and we all need to get naturally acquired antibodies against it until a vaccine is ready .

But at a PACE THE HEALTH CARE SYSTEMS CAN COPE ....with the ones that can’t cope with the disease and get ill.

Most hospitalised will recover others with pre existing co morbidity factors eg respiratory diseases will unfortunately die in the interim period .
So what you need ( in the absence of a vaccine ) is long term ( chronic ) looooow level exposure throughout the “ herd “ so it naturally self immunises ....just like any other influenza virus or any virus for that matter .
I worked many moons ago in the Dept of oral immunology @ Guys
As to survive one needs to get immunity most will get it without knowing ( subclinical ) some a slight flue ...normal flue and un
fortunately folks with underlying health conditions as said will not survive .Nothing new there with influenza.

It’s an airborne infection ( despite all this hand washing crap being peddled )
So avoid closed spaces , keep the house ventilated , avoid crowds etc .
You inhale it ....all virus first followed secondary by direct exchange of infected body fluids .Lets forget the 2nd ....so we are left with straight inhalation .

This whole current strategy is about preventing overwhelming of the health care systems, by protecting the un immunised vulnerable folks .

So some healthy self employed guys like Volvo Paul or DIY ers working in relative isolation on there boats assuming they have not got any , or live around anybody with morbidity co factors should be OK and won’t alter the outcomes.

I can only confirm your views.

People should realise that the way to minimise deaths is to get herd immunity. The healthiest majority of us must get it to stop it spreading, while the vulnerable must be protected.

Otherwise, after each lockdown, one case can lead to it starting again... wave 2, wave 3 and so in. In the past e.g Spanish Flu wave 2 killed more people than wave 1, etc.

Our UK approach should therefore lead to fewer deaths compared to an approach focused on wave 1 only.

The challenge now becomes limiting the number of cases needing hospital care and, in particular, ICU and ventilator care, to available capacity. Flattening the curve, as some say.

At the same time, you want enough people to get it (and survive) to achieve herd immunity as quickly as possible, while still minimising deaths, so as to minimise the impact this has on people, businesses, etc.

Its becomes a simple maths optimisation problem.

There are some stats to it as well. Statistically, we know approximately how many people are infected based on the number of deaths, or ICU cases, or hospital cases. We do not need to test everyone for that any more. We know roughly enough as the curve is rougly the same everywhere. Most people can recover at home.

This explains, for example, focus on testing if you had it, as opposed to whether you have it. Not to say testing whether you have it is not important but when you are sick enough to need hospital treatment, you will know that. The key is to know how many people have joined the herd.

Based on the forecast of cases presenting to hospital in 12-14 days being close to hospital capacity, the government chose to do the next step of lockdown. So far, steps were only to slow it down a bit as we neared the fast growth stage, to enable more accurate lock down timing.

Because we timed it so, we know that, on national average, we will approach hospital capacity in 10-14days. Do not be shocked when that happens. Statistically we expect that some regions will hit or exceed some element of capacity as cases are not constantly distributed. Thats can be dealt with but no doubt will feature in the media.

From there, it will be a matter of staying locked down just enough to keep new cases roughly equal to people leaving ICU, hospital, etc. Maybe lock more, and let go, and repeat.

Also, the more capacity we have i.e. ventilators, ICU and beds, the more people we can deal with at the same time, and the quicker we get to herd immunity.

Back to boating, while going to your boat may be low risk for some, in the bigger picture it adds up and contributes to the risk of exceeding capacity by a bigger margin, putting more lives at risk. That said, the scale is probably small compared to the margin for error considering the wider picture.

I do not see a material issue with Paul working on a boat where nobody else is present, since his livelihood outweighs the marginal risk. See that from a society point of view, not his own. That is why it is allowed under current guidelines, for example.

In contrast, enjoying your boat is not critical for society, unless it genuinely avoids some medical impact etc, and is not apropriate or allowed under current guidance.

Just my personal views...

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Yesterday was my last day for a while , i was at Shamrock quay , was told the place was closing , Hythe locked the doors as I spoke to them mid afternoon , Endeavour quay closed , Port Solent still making yard operations but I’d guess by the end of this week that will cease , as I stay on a boat in PS it’s a great area as to wether I can get access to it .
Salterns closed yesterday , I’d assume that MDL will follow suit and close everywhere , a big company cannot have different rules.

stay safe everyone I’m sure your houses and gardens will have never looked so good , I feel for boat owners having their pleasure taken away by this situation , it’s just starting to get nice outside .

no doubt when we are back up and running there will be a mad rush to get more engines and drives serviced , antifouled and boats polished up ready .

BruceK

Visit site
Yesterday was my last day for a while , i was at Shamrock quay , was told the place was closing , Hythe locked the doors as I spoke to them mid afternoon , Endeavour quay closed , Port Solent still making yard operations but I’d guess by the end of this week that will cease , as I stay on a boat in PS it’s a great area as to wether I can get access to it .
Salterns closed yesterday , I’d assume that MDL will follow suit and close everywhere , a big company cannot have different rules.

stay safe everyone I’m sure your houses and gardens will have never looked so good , I feel for boat owners having their pleasure taken away by this situation , it’s just starting to get nice outside .

no doubt when we are back up and running there will be a mad rush to get more engines and drives serviced , antifouled and boats polished up ready .

Sorry to hear that VP. Do you have a solution on getting drives to you during this lock down? I dont even have a pallet. I have two, possibly 4 drives needing a service with new seals and one needing a new clutch. (the oil smelt really burnt when draining)

ari

Visit site
Confirmation from my marina this morning that normal annual charges will stand, however direct debit payment term can be increased to reduce monthly payments.

Not unreasonable in my opinion, I need to park my boat somewhere, why should it be free (or more accurately, at someone else's expense)?

smitjah

Visit site
Apologies if this has already been asked/answered...........we are not yet in full lock down here in Jersey but that may not be far away. Due for lift out 14 April but that may be overtaken by events. Are shipyards still working in the UK during lockdown (just interested)? I am concerned about the anodes if lift out is impossible.
Q. I have a galvanic isolator and always leave the mains electric plugged in to avoid flat batteries (potential cost but mainly to ensure power to the bilge pump). For those of you berthed in marinas which are now closed, have they switched off the electricity and if not, is it recommended you stay plugged in or, in terms of the anodes, is it best to unplug? Thanks