Closing uk marinas

Blue Sunray

Visit site
About bloody time too, should have come earlier!! The great unwashed and uneducated mass in this country are either incapable of understanding or don't give two hoots about the true horrors that are about to land upon us and whilst the educated could go about their daily tasks without being in close proximity it doesn't give off the right impression to the thicko's out there who are spreading the virus.
Reading about a Doctor's thoughts and experience on the front line in a London hospital is something everyone should read to get a true perspective of what's happening out there, most of us are not aware of the true horrors.

Just to reinforce the point that it is very much 'people like us' as well as what you characterised as "great unwashed and uneducated mass" that are part of the problem this is an extract from Lymington Harbour Commissioners:

"On the 23rd March the Government introduced legislation requiring people to stay at home, except for very limited purposes.

Since then it has been apparent both on the Dan Bran and Fortuna Pontoons, and on the slipway, that a number of our resident mooring holders and users of the slipway have not followed this mandatory instruction. Gatherings have exceeded the two person limit, social distancing guidance (the 2m rule) has not been observed and people have stopped for a chat for extended periods of time. This selfish behaviour is putting our staff, the wider community and NHS staff at risk."

[2068]

Visit site
Apologies if this has already been asked/answered...........we are not yet in full lock down here in Jersey but that may not be far away. Due for lift out 14 April but that may be overtaken by events. Are shipyards still working in the UK during lockdown (just interested)? I am concerned about the anodes if lift out is impossible.
Q. I have a galvanic isolator and always leave the mains electric plugged in to avoid flat batteries (potential cost but mainly to ensure power to the bilge pump). For those of you berthed in marinas which are now closed, have they switched off the electricity and if not, is it recommended you stay plugged in or, in terms of the anodes, is it best to unplug? Thanks

Our Marina will do simple things for you.
The Electricity is on, but if you want your boat to be unplugged, they will do this on-request.
The staff are checking fenders and lines daily.

ICTM

Visit site
Just to reinforce the point that it is very much 'people like us' as well as what you characterised as "great unwashed and uneducated mass" that are part of the problem this is an extract from Lymington Harbour Commissioners:

"On the 23rd March the Government introduced legislation requiring people to stay at home, except for very limited purposes.

Since then it has been apparent both on the Dan Bran and Fortuna Pontoons, and on the slipway, that a number of our resident mooring holders and users of the slipway have not followed this mandatory instruction. Gatherings have exceeded the two person limit, social distancing guidance (the 2m rule) has not been observed and people have stopped for a chat for extended periods of time. This selfish behaviour is putting our staff, the wider community and NHS staff at risk."

To provide a little balance the below is the full message from the Lymington Harbour Master. There is clearly a degree of acceptance that boats require checking on occasion..........

Yesterday I circulated details of the decision of the Commissioners to close access to all of our leisure berths, pontoons and moorings. This has led to a number of local objections surrounding the decision, and questions related to liability should boat owners be unable personally to conduct safeguarding checks on their vessels.

Firstly, I would like to offer further explanation on the reason for our original decision.

In recent weeks it has been apparent that a number of our resident mooring holders have not been following the Government guidance on social distancing while on property belonging to LHC. On the 23rd March the Government introduced legislation requiring people to stay at home, except for very limited purposes.

Since then it has been apparent both on the Dan Bran and Fortuna Pontoons, and on the slipway, that a number of our resident mooring holders and users of the slipway have not followed this mandatory instruction. Gatherings have exceeded the two person limit, social distancing guidance (the 2m rule) has not been observed and people have stopped for a chat for extended periods of time. This selfish behaviour is putting our staff, the wider community and NHS staff at risk.

On Tuesday evening we received updated Government guidance through British Marine, indicating that leisure moorings were a non-essential service and recommending closure.

It is against this backdrop that we therefore felt that we had no option but to act by suspending access to leisure moorings and the slipway for the following reasons:
  1. To safeguard our staff from exposure to the coronavirus;
  2. To safeguard river users: not only from coronavirus but also from the consequences of misadventure and accident in a less safe physical environment than they have become used to (fewer people and vessels around to look out for them);
  3. To increase the security of boats now left unattended due to government restrictions on inspections and use;
  4. In support of government initiatives to restrict the spread of the virus.
The decision was therefore well founded.

However, in light of the valid questions that have been asked surrounding liability for customer vessels if safeguarding checks cannot be undertaken in accordance with their insurance policy and the terms and conditions of the mooring licence, it is appropriate that we clarify our guidance as follows:-
  • All LHC facilities (pontoons, river moorings and slipways) shall remain closed to visitors until further notice;
  • Mooring licence holders may periodically undertake safeguarding checks of their vessels, lines and fendering arrangements to a degree reasonably necessary to safeguard their vessel;
  • Such checks should be kept to a minimum and the mooring holder must comply with all Government guidance on COVID-19, including social distancing, at all times.
We recognise that restrictions on access may be a source of additional worry to mooring holders at an already stressful time. During the period of closure we will therefore undertake extra patrols and visual inspections of all berths and moorings to check that boats remain secure and that there are no obvious problems. In doing so, we do not accept any additional liability beyond that contained in our standard Terms and Conditions. This is an additional service we will provide free of charge in order to assist berth holders at this very difficult time.

Finally, I urge all mooring holders to do the right thing and not attempt to access their boats for reasons other than undertaking the safeguarding checks mentioned above until Government restrictions are relaxed.

This policy is reviewed weekly by the Lymington Harbour Commissioners, and will be the subject of continuing consultation through the Lymington Harbour Advisor Group.

The Harbour Office also remains closed with most of our administration team working from home unless absolutely essential. We would be grateful if non-urgent enquiries can be made through email at info@lymingtonharbour.co.uk.

THANK YOU IN ADVANCE FOR YOUR CO-OPERATION AND STAY SAFE!

Blue Sunray

Visit site
To provide a little balance the below is the full message from the Lymington Harbour Master. There is clearly a degree of acceptance that boats require checking on occasion..........
Yep, there are some complete prats who happen to own boats, and not just at Lymington (though I have to admit that the Hamble Harbour Master come across as an utter jobsworth)

1585339635967.png

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
Yep, there are some complete prats who happen to own boats, and not just at Lymington (though I have to admit that the Hamble Harbour Master come across as an utter jobsworth)

View attachment 87122
What's 'jobsworthy' about that guidance? As the police are saying, it's a public emergency, not a public holiday.

Newbroom

Visit site
Well it hasn't got off to a great start. My brothers boat in Penton nearly sank today if it hadn't been for a liveaboard moored behind it would not of lasted the night. I am now worried about this idea of not letting us near the boats to check them. The marina staff hadn't noticed it on the walk round and it was slowly filling up we do not know where from yet but it is not gushing in. I think its the worst nightmare we all have a slow and constant leak leaving the bilge pump running until it burns out and then disaster.

CLB

Visit site
Well it hasn't got off to a great start. My brothers boat in Penton nearly sank today if it hadn't been for a liveaboard moored behind it would not of lasted the night. I am now worried about this idea of not letting us near the boats to check them. The marina staff hadn't noticed it on the walk round and it was slowly filling up we do not know where from yet but it is not gushing in. I think its the worst nightmare we all have a slow and constant leak leaving the bilge pump running until it burns out and then disaster.

Yes there is a big question over whether insurance will pay out if boat left unchecked for x period of time. I have an alarm on mine that tells me all sorts, including if the bilge is filling. If I get that alert, I will jump in the car and get myself over to the boat.

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
Yes there is a big question over whether insurance will pay out if boat left unchecked for x period of time. I have an alarm on mine that tells me all sorts, including if the bilge is filling. If I get that alert, I will jump in the car and get myself over to the boat.
Why do you believe insurers may not pay out? Does your insurance policy have an inspection clause or something like that?

BruceK

Visit site
Why do you believe insurers may not pay out? Does your insurance policy have an inspection clause or something like that?

When I had a policy for a small boat with a local insurer it specified that a boat on a mooring etc cannot be left for 21 consecutive days without (and if IIRC) without moving off the mooring. (This was the case when I kept a boat that was trailer-able in Conwy inner harbour). There is nothing in my current policy from Zurich that specifies that.

equinoxuk

Visit site
Hard for all. I’m missing the chance to get out and visit my boat on the Thames.

Not exactly a first world problem in these times.

However she did give me the opportunity to escape from home.

Be safe all.

Last edited:

Assassin

Visit site

Many do and some don't and reading the policy small print is a must; also, reading their online documentation often gives further terms and conditions.
Insurers will often use any trick to get out of paying.

Its the same with household insurance, many now say you must leave the heating on between certain months and also turn the water off, how does that work? so I asked how the heating could be left on with the water switched off as the boiler will not work and trip out on safety, usually low water pressure, and she said OH? in such cases you get everything in writing from them when they say leave the heating and water switched on.

Greg2

Visit site
The updated advice from Lymington Harbour Masters at #204 seems quite sensible.
Our Marina have also remained open/accessible with minimum staff still working but isolated (e.g. office closed) but with essential facilities such as electricity cards, fuel and pump-put still available by prior arrangement and no personal contact. They encourage essential visits only.

Solentuk

Visit site
I went for a walk along the footpath that runs outside of Beaulieu marina for my daily exercise. Witnessed a guy merrily working away on his motorboat near to the fence. I keep my boat here and have been told to quite rightly stay away??

dancrane

Visit site
Get busy sandin' or get busy varnishin'. ;)
49859107026_d3161d4b3a_c.jpg

Rocksteadee

Visit site
Is this alarm Linked to an app on your phone.
do you have details?

Momac

Visit site
All insurances require you to take reasonable care and not to be reckless.
I don't think insurers can expect people to travel to check their boat given the present government advice.