Clive Cussler

Wansworth

Visit site
Due to covid been housebound and scratching the bottom of the barrel book wise.Found a book by Cussler an action packed narrative about nasty villains etc and super goodies taking place in the artic involving the ships Eribus and Terror...........It’s absolute rubbish

BabySharkDooDooDooDooDoo

Visit site
I find his books diverting in much the same way as Bond films of a certain era where the villains had bases in inactive volcanoes and the like

Last edited:

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
Is it a real Clive Cussler (readable if unrealistic plot wise) or a ghost written book using his name?

Cussler himself hasn't written a book in years but his name appears as the author on dozens of books written by others (for which he no doubt receives a tidy sum)

Wilbur Smith is another guilty of the same trick

Sharky34

Visit site
I was given about 10 Sharpe books & in desperation read them over lockdown.
Suprisingly readable & certainly put the TV films into more historical context.
Unbelievable how people fought back then, paricularly how the French attacked in column, got defeated on almost every occasion by the fast firing British troops who were in lines, so able to get more targets. Incredible bravery (or stupidity) on both sides, particularly scathing about British Cavalry discipline.

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
I was given about 10 Sharpe books & in desperation read them over lockdown.
Suprisingly readable & certainly put the TV films into more historical context.
Unbelievable how people fought back then, paricularly how the French attacked in column, got defeated on almost every occasion by the fast firing British troops who were in lines, so able to get more targets. Incredible bravery (or stupidity) on both sides, particularly scathing about British Cavalry discipline.

Bernard Cornwell is one of my favourite authors and one of only two (the other now sadly no longer with us) whose books i immediately buy when they're released

He also wrote several very good sailing based novels (he is himself a sailor) and The Last Kingdom and Arthurian series are both extremely readable

Beware of books supposedly co-authored with Susannah Kells though. They're actually novels written by his wife and whilst passable reads aren't out of the same mould or to the same standard

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
which sailing books did cornwell write bru?

Scoundrel, Stormchild, Crackdown, Sea Lord and Wildtrack

(Don't expect the usual Cornwell historical novel, these five books were an excursion into writing (relatively) modern thrillers with sailing as a key component of the plot. I found them to be well written, eminently readable and unusually devoid of inaccuracies when it came to the sailing details! Albeit with the caveat that they were written circa 1990 so they're a bit dated in some respects - much reference to things like Decca and a lack of GPS for example :D )

Sharky34

Visit site
If your lost for a read, I can recommend the borrowbox app, which allows access to your county library with ability to download/reserve 5 books.