Classic glassfibre yachts

mikegunn

Visit site
I've sailed some miles on a Starlight 39 with the wing keel in all conditions. I'm not sure I like the motion. A classic? Possibly not.

Ink
IMHO too young to be a classic, but give it time. Incidentally, the wing keel makes a fine fist of quelling a Solent chop.

Mike

lustyd

Visit site
But I have attended Antigua Classics occasionally in the past, and they have invariably had a good turnout of a wide variety of vessels, so it seems to work for them
I wasn't suggesting they were wrong in doing what they're doing. They clearly want a fleet of old boats with long keels and that's what they'll get. That doesn't make it a good definition of classic though, it just makes it entry requirements for their regatta for old long keelers.

Buck Turgidson

Visit site
There is an odd argument to be made that a classic GRP yacht is in production today.

Although Rustler Yachts keep quiet about it, their Rustler 24 uses the hull of the Piper one design, but with a higher aspect ratio rig.

Now, the Piper was designed by David Boyd - in fact I think it’s his only GRP design - and David Boyd worked under and was trained by … William Fife III.

Rustler 24 - A beautiful classic, long-keel trailerable dayboat
They might not shout about it but they charge you for it!

Lovely looking yachts though.

Topcat47

Visit site
Nich 26. In fact almost all Nicholson Yachts (OK I'm not sold on the last 30). Most Van de Stats too. I even rate the Contessa 26 but I'll Stick with Snark.

johnalison

Visit site
I wasn't suggesting they were wrong in doing what they're doing. They clearly want a fleet of old boats with long keels and that's what they'll get. That doesn't make it a good definition of classic though, it just makes it entry requirements for their regatta for old long keelers.
Maybe we need two definitions, like vintage and veteran cars. On the one hand we have elegant yachts that continue the aesthetics of early 20thC boats, basically narrow with long overhangs, and on the other, modern yachts that owe nothing to such aesthetic considerations but which have a claim to be classics because of their fine performance, their commercial success, or their influence on other designs.

lustyd

Visit site
I think you answered your own post. Vintage and classic are two things and I can't imagine anyone has an issue with that. Unfortunately things can be old and crap, or new and classic or vice versa, so the debate will likely rage on. Oh, maybe some people will take issue with it :D

dunedin

Visit site
Maybe we need two definitions, like vintage and veteran cars. On the one hand we have elegant yachts that continue the aesthetics of early 20thC boats, basically narrow with long overhangs, and on the other, modern yachts that owe nothing to such aesthetic considerations but which have a claim to be classics because of their fine performance, their commercial success, or their influence on other designs.
But why value that distortion of boats shape caused by the rating rules, rather than the shape of yachts based upon working boats undistorted by rules - which often had plumb bows and sometimes transom sterns. Are Bristol Pilot cutters, Jolie Brise etc not classic yachts?

Stemar

Visit site
Life's too short to sail an ugly boat.
Unless it's all you can afford that meets your need.

I wouldn't call the Centaur a thing of beauty, but it got a lot of people out sailing. A classic? Possibly not, at least, not yet. Few would have marked the Ford Anglia as a future classic in 1960, but
s-l500.jpg

Classified ad price: £14,995.00 :eek:

johnalison

Visit site
But why value that distortion of boats shape caused by the rating rules, rather than the shape of yachts based upon working boats undistorted by rules - which often had plumb bows and sometimes transom sterns. Are Bristol Pilot cutters, Jolie Brise etc not classic yachts?
They certainly are, but most of what I might call sentimental classics are of the type I referred to.

Tranona

Visit site
I think you answered your own post. Vintage and classic are two things and I can't imagine anyone has an issue with that. Unfortunately things can be old and crap, or new and classic or vice versa, so the debate will likely rage on. Oh, maybe some people will take issue with it :D
The distinction with cars is that Veteran (pre 1905), Edwardian (1905-1914) and Vintage (up to 1930), Post Vintage Thoroughbred (1931-1939) are defined by date, although of course also intended to set boundaries at which there were significant changes in design development. These categories were set by the VSCC in the 1930s and have proven pretty robust. The "Classic" movement, a bit like in boats is much more contentious with different organisations or groupings creating their own definitions and rules, plus of course (as in this thread) individuals seeking to place their own favourites into what is an indefinable category.