Is brendan wrong by telling everyone that he is ignoring me

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
G

[ QUOTE ]
Im not suggesting anything is broken, far from it. I think it is an excellent concept that could be widened a little. I would be happy to help organise it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless summat has changed, I have always understood that larger boats to 30 feet in length, may "compete", but only at the invitation of the other participants?

As regards messing about with it, as somebody else has already said, if it aint broke, don't fix it, and IMHO, (well not very actually)............leave the perishing thing alone. Now if some individual is just dying to do the event, but has a 36 foot boat, then flog it, and buy a smaller one, or just buy a smaller boat and prep it for the event. perfectly adequate wee boats can be obtained at very sensible money that are ideally suited to the event, but whether skippers of 36 foot gin palaces are perfectly suited, may be another matter! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Superflid

Visit site
Just been reading on Roger Taylor's website mentioned earlier. http://www.thesimplesailor.com

The article "SAFETY AT SEA - A RADICAL APPROACH" should be made compulsory reading for Jester challenge hopefuls.

No, scratch that. For anyone expecting to go offshore at all.

I spent a lot of years in the mountains before ever getting on a sailing boat, I always made sure I'd never need rescue from the hills. Fully intend to do all I can to make sure the rescue services never get to meet me on the seas.....

Thanks Roger.

G

[ QUOTE ]
Just been reading on Roger Taylor's website mentioned earlier. http://www.thesimplesailor.com

The article "SAFETY AT SEA - A RADICAL APPROACH" should be made compulsory reading for Jester challenge hopefuls.

No, scratch that. For anyone expecting to go offshore at all.

I spent a lot of years in the mountains before ever getting on a sailing boat, I always made sure I'd never need rescue from the hills. Fully intend to do all I can to make sure the rescue services never get to meet me on the seas.....

Thanks Roger.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmmmmm! just been and had a look, a man after me own heart I'm thinking! /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif Will go back later and have a proper delve into it

CPD

Visit site
Excellent discussion as usual gents, and the result of the poll is very clear. I shall forthwith resisit any further temptation to suggest alterations and enjoy, and very much look forward to it, for what it is /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif.

joker2

Visit site
Well now that's settled ,nothing left to do but enter the non- event! looking forward to meeting all you non-competitors soon, so we can discuss who is going to be the biggest looser?I'll go the trade wind route for sure, as why would you want to get there in a hurry....it only comes around once every four years...here's to making the most of it in 2010.....a great forum!

Noddy

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
nothing left to do but enter the non- event!

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never done a big ocean trip. But I bet it doesn't feel like a non event when you set off.

In fact I'm already working on a range of excuses to cater for a bottle faliure at any stage in the proceedings.

Fascadale

Visit site
What a non event

Seems to generate much interest.

On the bottle question, I'm with you Noddy, except I havn't even got the bottle to commit myself to the challenge. (yet)

Cheers

joker2

Visit site
OK...Maybe I should have said "Non Race" don't want to sound dissrespectful in such esteeeeemed company...But then again maybe deep down it really is a race...but how can it be without rules...maybe John Cleese should be Patron? Strangely I have had the pleasure of some rather long periods of isolation supported by fluid and on ice, but none so great as to consider this "thing?"....trying to be diplomatically correct...as nothing short of extreme sillyness , the type that sets the body trembling in anticipation! a great thing to do, a way to pay homage to the greats of the past....and the present.....your a long time looking at the lid...so only about 943 sleeps to go! Bring it on........

Gargleblaster

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I have had the pleasure of some rather long periods of isolation supported by fluid and on ice

[/ QUOTE ]
I prefer my whisky with a little water rather than ice. And anyway a fridge takes too much power on a small boat.

I'm very thankful to the Jester Challenge as it has along with my wife prevented me from buying a bigger boat. I have hankered for a few years for something over 30 feet, but my wife kept saying that as I mainly single hand I didn't need anything larger. Now I know that if I want to sail in future Jester Challenges I have to stay sub 30 feet. In fact after Pete Hill's sterling effort last year I am in fact thinking of something closer to 20 feet rather than my current 27 feet.

Noddy

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I havn't even got the bottle to commit myself to the challenge. (yet)

[/ QUOTE ]

About six months ago I predicted that I would be suffering from my current state of wobbly knees. So I began telling the Monday Night Drunkards about my intention to do the JC 08 Azores trip.

Ever since then, of course, I have been subjected to terrifying tales of freak waves, psychotic wales, aggressively amorous dolphins etc. etc

To be fair to them, I suspect that if I decided not to go, they would respect my decision. But the thought still makes me cringe.

The boat will come out of the water soon and I will feel better when I can get stuck into the preparation.

joker2

Visit site
"I'm very thankful to the Jester Challenge as it has along with my wife prevented me from buying a bigger boat. "

[/ QUOTE ]

/forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Coming from down under we always seem to do things a little different...some say backward?...certainly at the least "Opposites?" My wife is Go For Everything...and our current 50fter would never be voted in as it has windscreen wipers and whilst my other 24fter is being prepped for a 4000 mile voyage in respect of another great mutineer, it is nothing but a row boat and is without a junk rig and Hasler vane so not quite appropriate...what the heck says my wife lets look .....so we are on the final stages of the road to happiness with a Junk rig and Hasler vane in sight....the trembling is becoming more intense for sure.......

G

[ QUOTE ]

Ever since then, of course, I have been subjected to terrifying tales of (...) psychotic wales ...

[/ QUOTE ]

Ah - you've been to Caernarfon then ... ?

Colin

CPD

Visit site
Ok, no classes, so how about we set off in boat name alphabetical order then . . . . . . . . ? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Noddy

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Ok, no classes, so how about we set off in boat name alphabetical order then . . . . . . . . ? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Bags Aaardvark!