Chuck Paine - CB interview

Carib

www.sailinginlimbo.blogspot.com
There's a Q&A with esteemed designer Chuck Paine in this month's Classic Boat with a rather strange statement.

"I always designed for the top end...[Wall Street/The City] is, I believe, the only segment of the new construction market left. 10 % of our citizens have more buying power than the bottom 90 %. The latter will buy nearly scrapped old fibreglass boats for nothing on Craig's list and never use them. The former will buy my little gems and actually use them - and love every minute of it".

By his 'little gems' he means the 15' daysailers he builds these days for those with $100K or so to spare ("maybe the finest new sailing yacht built anywhere in the world this year").

His blog repeats a similar viewpoint: "The vast combined product of the now essentially defunct fiberglass sailboat building industry is now depreciated to scrap value and nothing but a bother for anyone to own. "

I've always liked his designs (particularly the Frances 26) but CP seems to have a rather strange and embittered attitude towards anyone who sails his 'scrap value' boats which are now 'nothing but a bother' to own (presumably even if you're in the bottom 90% and therefore 'never use them')!

Bit of an odd attitude, I thought.

Last edited:

zoidberg

Visit site
"I always designed for the top end...[Wall Street/The City] is, I believe, the only segment of the new construction market left. 10 % of our citizens have more buying power than the bottom 90 %. The latter will buy nearly scrapped old fibreglass boats for nothing on Craig's list and never use them. The former will buy my little gems and actually use them - and love every minute of it".

By his 'little gems' he means the 15' daysailers he builds these days for those with $100K or so to spare ("maybe the finest new sailing yacht built anywhere in the world this year").

Bit of an odd attitude, I thought.

He does his designing as a day job - to make a living.
I'd call his expressed attitude 'marketing'....

Bajansailor

Visit site
I do like his designs - all of them are invariably very nice indeed.
I remember seeing him at Southampton Boat Shows in the 80's (early 90's as well?) when Victoria Marine was still building his boats in Britain.
I also read something once about him re how his parents were dirt poor, and that seemed to have an effect on him - all over his website, and in many of his articles, he seems to be obsessed about making money.
He also does appear to have a very large ego, which probably justifies (to himself at least) the ridiculously high prices that he charges for his plans.

Some years ago he sold his business to his former employee Ed Joy, but Chuck is still not averse to earning money as Chuck Paine -
Chuck Paine Yacht Design LLC – Yacht designer Chuck Paine and his new, more affordable sailboats

Ed Joy's website - Welcome to Ed Joy Design of Camden, Maine — ED JOY DESIGN

Last edited: